Possible replacement for a Baguley shunter

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Still don't know if I can fix my seized-up Baguley (recent thread). If no, its a bit of a bummer because it was my first on-board battery conversion with manual control (Fwd/Off/Rev) and sound (push-button foghorn, very popular) despite being tight for space.

Thinking ahead to plan B - a replacement - what suggestions would you have please for a loco for shunting duties only with the following attributes:

[*]steam or diesel, Euro/USA - anything considered[*]ease of dissembly[*]internal space (including cab floor area) for batteries[*]easy access to motor terminal connections[*]small enough to carry in one hand (well, almost)[*]man enough to shunt up to eight cars short distances on near level track[*]visual heft[*]reliable gearbox[*]new or S/H[*]no price premium for already fitted DCC
I don't think I'd go for a Baguley again even though it scores quite well against bthe above.

Anything I missed?

Mike

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
WKDOR said:
Still don't know if I can fix my seized-up Baguley (recent thread). If no, its a bit of a bummer because it was my first on-board battery conversion with manual control (Fwd/Off/Rev) and sound (push-button foghorn, very popular) despite being tight for space.

Thinking ahead to plan B - a replacement - what suggestions would you have please for a loco for shunting duties only with the following attributes:

[*]steam or diesel, Euro/USA - anything considered[*]ease of dissembly[*]internal space (including cab floor area) for batteries[*]easy access to motor terminal connections[*]small enough to carry in one hand (well, almost)[*]man enough to shunt up to eight cars short distances on near level track[*]visual heft[*]reliable gearbox[*]new or S/H[*]no price premium for already fitted DCC
I don't think I'd go for a Baguley again even though it scores quite well against bthe above.

Anything I missed?

Mike

Hi Mike,
look on Dragon G Scale site in Chuffs specials. Nice little diesel might suit you.

JoelB

Registered
19 Feb 2010
New England
Best answers
You didn't mention budget -- the Baguley is (was) attractively priced, any similar model could be a bit more pricey, and DCC isn't always a standard fitting.

One option (as noted in another post) would be to get the replacement chassis from Friog Models. The de luxe replacement, of course, is a Roundhouse Criccieth Castle. I have a similar issue with my loco, and have been seriously considering the Friog solution. Please let us know what you discover.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
399fbc79ad09425facc6b8bf551ef0b7.jpg

My choice the Roundhouse Diesel. "Mighty Muscle".

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to you all.

Where are all you Aristo Centre Cab and Bachmann 44-ton users?

Does anybody know who has gone down the Friog or Essel replacement chassis route? Sounds interesting but it would have to be a more or less straight replacement.

Mike

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
WKDOR said:
Thanks to you all.

Where are all you Aristo Centre Cab and Bachmann 44-ton users?

Does anybody know who has gone down the Friog or Essel replacement chassis route? Sounds interesting but it would have to be a more or less straight replacement.

Mike

Mike - if you're interested in a Bachmann 44-tonner, please PM me!

I have a new, boxed, unlettered yellow one, never run, I'm sure we could come to a reasonable deal..... ;)

Jon (zerogee)

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Delighted to report I know longer need to replace my Baguley - please see my post on the Baguley Seizing Up thread.

Thank you Neil, Mike Ousby and GSC.

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
WKDOR said:
Delighted to report I know longer need to replace my Baguley - please see my post on the Baguley Seizing Up thread.

Thank you Neil, Mike Ousby and GSC.

Glad to see you have fixed the problem Mike.