Possible locomotive shelter for the CFR.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'm trying out the suitability of a new locomotive shelter for the CFR. I'm rather pleased with it but I'm not too sure where to place it.image.jpeg The Roundhouse "Bulldog" locomotives fit nicely under the shelter.image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I like it, Casey. I may copy your idea for my railway. Protection while not too bulky. SWMBO may not object.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I like it, Casey. I may copy your idea for my railway. Protection while not too bulky. SWMBO may not object.
Thanks Dan. The shelter is actually a Schleich open barn which also comes with fencing .

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm trying out the suitability of a new locomotive shelter for the CFR. I'm rather pleased with it but I'm not too sure where to place it.View attachment 214507 The Roundhouse "Bulldog" locomotives fit nicely under the shelter.View attachment 214506
Like it too, perhaps one Track to the Left to differentiate between Steam and Diesel Facilities. Will also need some simulated Diesel Fuelling that looks like it comes from the Grounded Shell Tank.
JonD

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Got an Iberian look about it.......

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looks the part.

Just a thought, how about placing it up against the "fuel tank" as a sort of a loco fueling shelter.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I like the (almost) modern metal roofing look.. I presume just skylights? But a pair of solar panels (one side of roof only) from cheapy garden lights, batteries in the fuel tank (appropriate) and you could make a free-standing tableau out in the garden somewhere.
:rock::clap::clap:

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I really like that Casey. Think I may have to copy your idea! When you get a free minute could you measure the space between the legs/stilts?

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg
I really like that Casey. Think I may have to copy your idea! When you get a free minute could you measure the space between the legs/stilts?
Duncan, measurements between the uprights:- 13" and 91/2". As you can see from the picture I have moved the shelter one track over next to the crew cabin. It also makes a nice shelter for the open carriages.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks casey. Looks good.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Tried out the Roundhouse "Harlech Castle" class locomotives under the shelter. They fit quite nicely.image.jpeg

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg A trifle year and a tad bit later.
Two shelters cover the entrance to the branch loco shed. Following JonD's advice the fuelling point and office are within the confines of the shelters.
Two other shelters were purchased to provide limited cover on platform 1.
The shelters have faded slightly since being put in place, but they are heavy enough to stand the wind of last year and this Autumn.

Reactions: 2 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg image.jpeg A few slight changes with the shelters. St Bernards Station now has a four canopy covering platforms 1 and 2 and the branch shed has a new double canopy. The bright colours will soon weather naturally.

Reactions: 3 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg image.jpeg Area around the loco shelter has been cleaned up. The platform shelters have had a few floral additions.
The shelters are free standing and despite the winter storms they have stayed in place.