Polystyrene box building and rail built buffer stops

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
While I wait for my finances to recover, I made a representation of a building using a packaging box and some corrugated cardboard. I also needed two buffer stops for my sidings, these were made using scrap rail glued with epoxy and a sleeper. From a distance these attempts look ok for now.
I also used a couple of concrete blocks for one platform, and my four remaining brick size blocks for the other, I want to skim over the surface of these with cement to hide the joins, not sure if it will be too thin to be successful though.

Attachments

• 58B4AE3E-D6A1-45CA-896D-5CD44EA2B94B.jpeg
    58B4AE3E-D6A1-45CA-896D-5CD44EA2B94B.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5B6300DE-6447-4706-8A1C-FC44BC6486CC.jpeg
    5B6300DE-6447-4706-8A1C-FC44BC6486CC.jpeg
    765.6 KB · Views: 0
  • C6EA4F14-32FD-4FC6-804C-E952E196E020.jpeg
    C6EA4F14-32FD-4FC6-804C-E952E196E020.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I recall having seen a TV programme on garden railways, where they interviewed someone (an old hand, I think) who made all his buildings from expanded polystyrene. They looked good -as does yours. Cheap and long-lasting -but will need fixing down!

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure how to go about stopping it sailing off, if my idea of a skim of cement on the “platforms” would work, then it might turn into a station....ary building :wasntme:.
My weatherproofing (PVA ) would also be tested, in case you haven’t guessed the courses were melted using an old soldering iron, the roof is corrugated cardboard painted with car primer. Might end up losing it altogether if I get a proper building, but for now, really enjoying having a go. Thanks for your kind encouragement.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Has a certain rustic charm to it.. And from a distance, will be fine.

Might need to find shelter in the worst of the weather, though?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
For the pavers/bricks turn them over so the bevel is down, get some real fine sand and mix it with cement (not concrete) to make a mortar type mix.
While the sand cement mix is dry cover the pavers with it working it into the gaps and once the are filled lightly mist the whole thing with water, not too much or the cement will rise to the surface.
The mix will harden and hold the pavers together as well as filling the gaps, you can then render the top with some more mix.
To keep the dry mix in place box/form around the edges with cardboard or timber.
This how I did my paved areas when I landscaped a garden.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
For the pavers/bricks turn them over so the bevel is down, get some real fine sand and mix it with cement (not concrete) to make a mortar type mix.
While the sand cement mix is dry cover the pavers with it working it into the gaps and once the are filled lightly mist the whole thing with water, not too much or the cement will rise to the surface.
The mix will harden and hold the pavers together as well as filling the gaps, you can then render the top with some more mix.
To keep the dry mix in place box/form around the edges with cardboard or timber.
This how I did my paved areas when I landscaped a garden.
I‘ve got sharp sand, is that ok? Thanks for the advice.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I‘ve got sharp sand, is that ok? Thanks for the advice.
Fine sand (Soft Building Sand in UK) is best because it flows into the gaps, you could use the sharp sand just make sure it is swept into the gaps.
Alternatively you could sieve it through some fly wire to get the large pieces out bit more mucking around but will give a better finish and not a real lot is need for the small number of pavers you are using.
Using a small broom is the best way to spread the sand/cement mix as well, forgot to mention that before.

Last edited:

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
How thin can the skim be? Not too critical, as foot traffic will be extremely light.lol.
I quite like mixing cement, must be connected to early childhood, somehow satisfying?

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just the thickness of render a couple of mm.

Be careful with cement I am just recovering from a cement burn to my little finger after some got into my glove and then got wet over 6 weeks ago.
Finger swelled up and I could not bend it for over a week, then I had sores all over it and the skin just kept peeling off.
If you do get cement on your skin wash it off with vinegar to neutralise it as it is caustic.
I now wear latex gloves over my hands under the leather gloves that I touch the concrete with.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Just the thickness of render a couple of mm.

Be careful with cement I am just recovering from a cement burn to my little finger after some got into my glove and then got wet over 6 weeks ago.
Finger swelled up and I could not bend it for over a week, then I had sores all over it and the skin just kept peeling off.
If you do get cement on your skin wash it off with vinegar to neutralise it as it is caustic.
I now wear latex gloves over my hands under the leather gloves that I touch the concrete with.
Ouch! Thanks, will be more careful, think it has lime in it, might have got that wrong. They used to use quick lime to bury people who had died with infectious diseases etc.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Ouch! Thanks, will be more careful, think it has lime in it, might have got that wrong. They used to use quick lime to bury people who had died with infectious diseases etc.

It is lime that is main ingredient, think it is "slaked lime"

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If they're doing a lot of concreting on a building site, the operatives smother their soft bits (yes, those bits) with vase line or similar as the dust causes havoc with skin

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Now, you’re really starting to worry me:( :(:(

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is a building made out of old Poly ceiling tiles, double skinned and securely glued to an old slate roof tile. Built in the 1980’s and still going strong though on its third roof and still roof not right. Perhaps another corvid-19 job to put right. Coated with external grade tile cement.
EDIT somehow I did not complete this post correct. Sorry.
7F9E22C9-1476-4BF9-A988-C72B3D59E9DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
This is a building made out of old Poly ceiling tiles, double skinned and securely glued to an old slate roof tile. Built in the 1980’s and still going strong though on its third roof and still roof not right. Perhaps another corvid-19 job to put right. Coated with external grade tile cement. Not a lot o
When say double skinned, you don't mean that the Porter sacrificed his for the projecto_O

Reactions: 1 user

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Today I made a platform out of concrete, using a box made of cardboard lined with gaffer tape, it’s about 600mm long, 180mm wide and 50mm deep. It’s not in situ, so will need moving and fitting in place. I used a 3 to 1 mix of ballast and cement.
Quite desperate to unwrap it and see my handiwork, patience is one of many virtues I don’t have, will it be safe to move it in 24hrs?
Made and fitted a polystyrene chimney to the end of my polystyrene building, a door made of coffee stirrers, and a half hearted attempt at window frames.
Two ”proper” building kits have been ordered by my wife for my birthday ,but my freelance hovel has been so much fun to do, and there is definitely not another one quite like it.:rofl:
Picture tomorrow.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Today I made a platform out of concrete, using a box made of cardboard lined with gaffer tape, it’s about 600mm long, 180mm wide and 50mm deep. It’s not in situ, so will need moving and fitting in place. I used a 3 to 1 mix of ballast and cement.
Quite desperate to unwrap it and see my handiwork, patience is one of many virtues I don’t have, will it be safe to move it in 24hrs?
Made and fitted a polystyrene chimney to the end of my polystyrene building, a door made of coffee stirrers, and a half hearted attempt at window frames.
Two ”proper” building kits have been ordered by my wife for my birthday ,but my freelance hovel has been so much fun to do, and there is definitely not another one quite like it.:rofl:
Picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2E04EFCF-E056-493D-B33D-C9D220B5BBB8.jpeg
    2E04EFCF-E056-493D-B33D-C9D220B5BBB8.jpeg
    746.7 KB · Views: 0