Points and signal r/c from Deltang

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed on the Deltang website that David is working on a points and signals remote control. The first off the production line appears to be one which will control up to seven points/signals - http://deltang.co.uk/tx27a.htm

tx27a-1.jpg

Looking at the description for the receiver/controller, it looks as if it can be configured to control semaphore signals (with built-in 'bounce' at the end of travel) or points or lights in various combinations. http://deltang.co.uk/rx105-110.htm

It also looks as if he's also working on a controller for 20-40 signals / points.

I think David must have been reading my mind (or doing some clever market research). I've been thinking about how I will control some of my more inaccessible points when I eventually abandon DCC in favour of battery power. And I've been considering using servos to control my semaphore signals.

I think my post-Christmas birthday wish-list has suddenly been filled!

Rik

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Haa! Velly intellesting!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
It has possibilities

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a good idea. One of my friends uses RC for points and just puts a LiPo battery at each 'interlocking' . So he doesn't need a power supply for the RX or the turnouts. Takes the battery inside when finished running and charges it.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I've had all my points under rc control for quite some time now. Quite easy and cheap to do. Signal bounce is out of my scope though.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Looks like a good idea. I reckon that as GregH says (and based on my experience with repackaging a commercial R/C unit) it would be very simple to do as he has done and go DIY. Signal bounce would be a function of the servo that throws the points and signals I would think, take it overcentre with a very light spring to cause the bounce....
Unfortunately all my points are automatic except for 2 and they are thrown by use of a point hook....

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
.........Signal bounce would be a function of the servo that throws the points and signals I would think, take it overcentre with a very light spring to cause the bounce....

Easy enough to do bounce if you're using a Picaxe to drive the servos.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
gregh said:
Easy enough to do bounce if you're using a Picaxe to drive the servos.
Or have a trained elephant stamp its foot in the vicinity.....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do you need a trunk circuit to control the elephants?
OR
Do you have to poke the elephant with the picaxe to get a response?

Hat, coat, door..
;)