Point Motors - help please

vannerley

Dutch trams in 1/24th., Austrian n. g. in 1/43rd.
1 Nov 2009
Herne Bay
Best answers
Part of our garden railway is laid in Aristocraft track and we are having great difficulty in getting reliable operation from their point motors / switch engines.

Would we be better off changing to LGB point motors? Can they be fitted to Aristocraft points? Any other advice please?

Thanks

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes and yes.

I run Aristo points with LGB motors - this is my preferred option for all points. They just screw into the same holes although you might need different screws.

Click on http://uqr.freehostia.com/control.html and scroll down to see photo of Aristo point & LGB motor.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Chris. Whilst Aristo manual controls are better than the LGB equivalent, their motors are not well sealed at all and deteriorate quickly in our climate. Use LGB motors...easy changeover.
The aristo slow-mo motors are nice but unfortunately they too need sealing using silicon etc.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Agree with the above. You may also want to try the Trainline or Piko ones as well.

DVRR

Registered
28 Feb 2011
Diggle, Saddleworth.
Best answers
I asked the question regarding suitability of Aristo point motors for outdoor use and got a lot of advice......you can find it under "Controls Signals Electronics," Sept 12th.
The conclusion for me is to use LGB point motors.
Sandy