Playmobil transformation with body chop

Geon

Registered
6 Oct 2014
Bradford
Best answers
Country flag
Inspired by other posts I have had a go at a couple of Playmobil modifications. This time I did a relatively simple chop of the plastic body to move the cab to the rear.1-DSCN1716.JPG1-DSCN1717.JPG
I thought the original rectangular lights needed the addition of a piece of scrap tubing.1-DSCN1718.JPG
As you can see the cab is now towards one end. The glazing bars are paper self adhesive labels1-DSCN1719.JPG
It is a crude conversion for now
1-DSCN1720.JPG
A three position switch is located in the cab for the speed reduction diodes. Position 1=no diodes, 2=4 diodes, 3=5 diodes (I think)
A video of the conversion and the circuit for the diodes is included in a youtube video

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Like it, it looks like a true, modern European shunter!

Geon

Registered
6 Oct 2014
Bradford
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Duncan,

There is a clip of some of the work here http://youtu.be/l4rfrLQxakg, but skip to 2 mins in to avoid the boring bit about my woodworking jig!

Just copying others and adding my own touches.

John

Geon

Registered
6 Oct 2014
Bradford
Best answers
Country flag
Like others on here I found that they pull OK with appropriate settings.

They have enough weight to give traction.

There are two motors - increased motive power (although they are small).

The plastic gears are to some extent protected from stripping by a clutch built into the drive train
http://youtu.be/j-WSEJNVr0I
Remember they are for 0-4 years and need to withstand being forcibly pushed along the carpet against motor running direction.

Also although the diodes reduce voltage and not current they will reduce power, assuming that the electronic speed controller built in is of the pulsed power type, which would maintain voltage but use mark space to control speed. Diodes give the same effect as partially flattened batteries or using fewer batteries.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I like it !

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
very nicely done sir!~! ???

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
loos good
still trying to decide whether to mod mine
probably wait and see some more ideas ;)