voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Probably something obvious but at the moment I don't get it. I have a new to me Playmobil set with controller. As it had connections to a power connecting clip to track I thought I would give it a go. It's a centre off and slowly applying the power got the train running. Turning the control the other way got nothing. Tried again the first way and everything fine. Picked the loco up and turned it round and it runs backwards. Fiddling about with stop/start, unplugging replugging got the loco to run in one direction but refuse to go in the other direction without more fiddling. The usual controller I have (one I use for my O gauge at exhibitions) has no problem sending the train in either direction. What am I missing here?

Paul

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a duff connection somewhere. You say a "power connecting clip to track" - that sounds like the early type of conenction. Have you tried it with the LGB screw type connectors?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a duff connection somewhere. You say a "power connecting clip to track" - that sounds like the early type of conenction. Have you tried it with the LGB screw type connectors?

?? But if power gets through one way.. Why not the other ??

It IS definitely a centre-off?

I only ask, as the first time I came across the LGB analogue controller, it had me foxed..
That, you turn to zero, and 'a bit further back' against a spring to reverse direction, then turn the controller up in the same direction.
** I do not know the Playmobil controller, so it probably isn't like this.. **

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Bit dark out there at the moment so will get back to it tomorrow. The controller I usually use is one of those you describe, push a little further off to reverse direction but this Playmobil is I'm sure a centre off. Sometimes it worked turning clockwise and sometimes anticlockwise from the centre but never both without fiddling in between. I will try using the Playmobil controller and the wires I usually use and maybe also the controller I usually use with the Playmobil power clip and wires.
Because it was an odd "fault" it made me think there was some special Playmobil technique I didn't know about, no instructions came with it.

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sound s like a worn/dirty control-pot.??

Like you say, substitute with the LGB controller, and see how you get on..

One other thought:
The playmobil controller is only rated and 0.5 Amps.. Could it be shutting down, due to overload? - Just a thought..

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have three different types of Playmobil controller and with all of them, 12 o'clock is and you turn the control knob clockwise or anti-clockwise to change direction of travel.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sound s like a worn/dirty control-pot.??

Like you say, substitute with the LGB controller, and see how you get on..

One other thought:
The playmobil controller is only rated and 0.5 Amps.. Could it be shutting down, due to overload? - Just a thought..

There is also a bigger ampage one.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
do you refer to the transformator 4350?

or the transformator 4359?

in both cases i see only one probable failure. the innards/electronic components for one direction are fried.

the external cable connections can not be the culprits. they either work in both direction or in none.

Last edited:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I had spent about 15 minutes yesterday tinkering with the various parts to see if i could get it to work properly before posting on here. Today I had the controller on the workbench and it appeared to work fine so took it outside to test and of course it worked perfectly. No idea what the problem was yesterday and I am still a bit dubious of it. Fortunately I have a number of back up controllers in case it decides to play up again.

It's a 4350.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I had spent about 15 minutes yesterday tinkering with the various parts to see if i could get it to work properly before posting on here. Today I had the controller on the workbench and it appeared to work fine so took it outside to test and of course it worked perfectly. No idea what the problem was yesterday and I am still a bit dubious of it. Fortunately I have a number of back up controllers in case it decides to play up again.

It's a 4350.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul

Walter Turner on this forum is the man who might know what the problem is/was. Normally, he seems to pick up when there is a discussion on a Playmobil issue.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
If you are after a spare/second unit in working order I have one I am never going to use I am happy to post for the cost of postage, it's just taking up precious space I could fill with more loco parts.. :p

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
If you are after a spare/second unit in working order I have one I am never going to use I am happy to post for the cost of postage, it's just taking up precious space I could fill with more loco parts.. :p

That is a very kind offer which I will decline. I have a large selection of controllers which I should really cut back on, I need storage space as well! As that particular controller came in the set I recently acquired I thought I would test it along with the associated power clip.

Paul

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very kind offer which I will decline. I have a large selection of controllers which I should really cut back on, I need storage space as well! As that particular controller came in the set I recently acquired I thought I would test it along with the associated power clip.

Paul

No worries, I know the feeling about storage, I'm still amassing parts for stock projects that are a long way down the line (pun unintended :p)