Playmobil battery charging...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've recently acquired a Playmobil radio-control chassis (a used older one) with the plug-in 4.8volt nicad battery pack; it came with charger (wall transformer and blue plastic charging base unit) and the control transmitter. There were no instructions at all, and the loco battery pack appears to be discharged, or at least very low; I have plugged it into the charger and after wobbling the pack around a little (the connections are far from great) I got a steady red light on the transformer unit - is this the "charging" light, and does it go out when the pack is full - or do I simply give it a set number of hours - and if so, how long?

Anyone familiar with these units able to offer some advice?

Thanks!
Jon.

Lowty1

Railways
26 Oct 2009
Rainhill
Best answers
Country flag
HI

If you have got a steady red light showing you have done very well. The chargers are not the best in technology. Once the battery pack is charged the red light will begin flashing as far as my memory serves me. An alternative arrangement is to buy a battery holder from Playmobile in the UK and you can then insert rechargable batteries previously charged with your usual charger. Best of luck.

Tom

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Tom, useful advice! Since posting, the thing has been on charge for a short while, the red light on the charger has gone out (completely, not flashing) and I've tried the battery pack in the chassis - it all seems to work fine, but I have no idea what % of a full charge it's taken in the couple of hours.
Anyone know what the normal time for a full charge on these should be?

Jon.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi Jon the battery should either be a early 4392 or the later 4220 both are the same shape and contain 4 x AA batteries the later having more amps per hour. if you prize open the end you can replace them with standard tagged ones....i have at least one spare boxed one here i will keep safe for you also have a race tuned one J2s built il give you a race with if you want :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
Hi Jon the battery should either be a early 4392 or the later 4220 both are the same shape and contain 4 x AA batteries the later having more amps per hour. if you prize open the end you can replace them with standard tagged ones....i have at least one spare boxed one here i will keep safe for you also have a race tuned one J2s built il give you a race with if you want :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Tony, sorry I hadn't responded to this earlier - many thanks, I'll take you up on your offer of the spare one next time I see you - are you going to John Scott's open day this coming weekend by any chance?

Jon.