DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
People have window boxes and alike, so I thought why not have a gutter fixed to the elevated parts of my line.

At the rear next to the fence I was thinking of flat sided gutter about 150mm wide, the type with a sloping lower side. For the front I was thinking of using a more conventional U shape gutter.

My quandary though is I know nowt about plants, trim trees before the leaf's start appearing and cut the grass when the weathers dry . The plants will be shielded from the sun in the morning and get plenty of sun in the afternoon, the plants need to hardy enough for a Central Scotland winter (which has been very mild in recent years), the plants need to be hardy enough for a non plant person to look after.
I am looking for the type of plants which like to grow close to the substrate they are in, nothing too tall. I had been thinking along the lines of alpine type rockery plants.

Please could some one give me some guidance, any guidance at all would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 1660048570274.jpeg
    1660048570274.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
People have window boxes and alike, so I thought why not have a gutter fixed to the elevated parts of my line.

At the rear next to the fence I was thinking of flat sided gutter about 150mm wide, the type with a sloping lower side. For the front I was thinking of using a more conventional U shape gutter.

My quandary though is I know nowt about plants, trim trees before the leaf's start appearing and cut the grass when the weathers dry . The plants will be shielded from the sun in the morning and get plenty of sun in the afternoon, the plants need to hardy enough for a Central Scotland winter (which has been very mild in recent years), the plants need to be hardy enough for a non plant person to look after.
I am looking for the type of plants which like to grow close to the substrate they are in, nothing too tall. I had been thinking along the lines of alpine type rockery plants.

Please could some one give me some guidance, any guidance at all would be much appreciated, thanks.
All sorts of Sedum shoud do fine in that environment, just mix soil with Alpine Grit. But a Sedum to keep clear of is Sedum Acre. I think you should be able to guess why. There are many kinds of Sedum, some grow like mini trees, some are quite round but all pretty hardy. Another option is Mind your own business, likely to die back in severe frost but usually comes back. Just google for examples.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Almost any alpine - because they grow in spares soil and don't root deeply.

I've got a couple, but don't know the name or variety as SWMBO got them from a friend who was selling up a business at a few coppers each :nerd::nerd:

They spread reasonably well, and you can keep pace with them just by pulling odd bits out :nod::nod:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Look at living roofs, they should contain a selection of suitable plants, alpine and sedums :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A run of guttering, will get water-logged when it rains, and bone-dry as soon as the sun gets on it..

Having said that, if against the fence, it will probably be drier than wetter?
You may want to run the watering can along it, in the drier months?

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A run of guttering, will get water-logged when it rains, and bone-dry as soon as the sun gets on it..

Having said that, if against the fence, it will probably be drier than wetter?
You may want to run the watering can along it, in the drier months?

PhilP
Indeed it will, he would need end stops and some small hole for drainage, barrier would stop the soil leeching out.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David
Nice to see your railway is progressing well. We did this planting in guttering on our previous garden railway. Alpines are good, as are sedums. We also sowed lettuce one year, so had a constant supply of salad leaves which grow back quickly, and if they get too much can be cut off, knowing they will regrow in a week or so.
May I also suggest contacting Gloria W in the 16mm modular group, who has won best module at the NGRS twice for her wonderful plant displays on the layout. Hope that helps. See you on zoom tomorrow maybe.
David L

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Should have said, the reason for using a slightly larger gutter is because my plan is to lay some gravel in the bottom of the gutter with a membrane between the gravel and earth, with the idea of allowing excess water to drain away and not leave the soil sodden, and hopefully also only needing to water all the plants from either end, as the middle'ish area will be the low spot on the line.

I know it goes against the idea of having the line as flat and level as possibly, but my line will have a slight incline, about 10mm over 1m, this should also help with water drainage, if I can get away with (permission) for a wee pond in the raised area my hope is this would provide water to the guttering, all just ideas.

JonD sorry but I'm not sure why you say don't plant Sedum Acre?

What I would like to understand is why a web search didn't turn up any of the plants suggested, all of which look ideal for my purposes, thanks as always for the suggests, happy to take any more ideas folk may have.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Should have said, the reason for using a slightly larger gutter is because my plan is to lay some gravel in the bottom of the gutter with a membrane between the gravel and earth, with the idea of allowing excess water to drain away and not leave the soil sodden, and hopefully also only needing to water all the plants from either end, as the middle'ish area will be the low spot on the line.

I know it goes against the idea of having the line as flat and level as possibly, but my line will have a slight incline, about 10mm over 1m, this should also help with water drainage, if I can get away with (permission) for a wee pond in the raised area my hope is this would provide water to the guttering, all just ideas.

What I would like to understand is why a web search didn't turn up any of the plants suggested, all of which look ideal for my purposes, thanks as always for the suggests, happy to take any more ideas folk may have.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Ok Sedum Acre is a very fast growing plant, just one small piece of the blob broken off will spread and in my past has done invasive ly in track ballast. Other plants such as a similar but smaller type of sedum are less of an issue.

Soleirolia soleirolii - mind you’re own business MYOB

This link should give some more guidance,

If you Pm me your address I will be able to send you some examples, if you quickly get them in a well drained pot they should survive. But the MYOB will need to be in a shaded location and it’s own pot till it gets established.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sempervivum are pretty indestructible once established on a bit of good soil with grit added, spread nicely with little attention or watering and look pretty cool too.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Sempervivum are pretty indestructible once established on a bit of good soil with grit added, spread nicely with little attention or watering and look pretty cool too.
Ol' Blackthumb here finds Sempervivum more like Sempermortuum :oops:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Often called ‘hen and chicks’. Yes they are very easy to grow (follow Martyn’s advice) and often used on living roofs, sometimes even found on roofs as they have likely been pooped there by birds and establish themselves quite happily.

There are 3 varieties in the picture below. They have suffered a little with the heat and the flowers can be a little irritating with the plant connected to the flower dying, but as you can see they do not all flower at once so the dead one is soon replaced by ‘chicks’. The slightly taller plant bottom right is also a version of Sedum, this one grows 3-4 inches and has a yellow flower on after a bit of growing time.
29E06772-414E-46FA-8B49-E624C0E79E42.jpeg
Then we get to this one (forget the name), a real treasure that is rarely fased by any weather. It was cultivated by my grandfather and small bits taken to be grown on all of my and many others garden railways. The dark pinky small one to the right is also sedum, but a less spready one than ‘Acre’.5781210E-60D0-49E1-8E8E-C265AD75D390.jpeg
Most of these plants rarely need watering though Sempervivum has advice to water soaringly during its griwing season, I take that to mean when very dry to encourage the Chicks.

Last edited:

tedtherep

Registered
1 Apr 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Check out books by Nancy Norris (American). She designs garden railroads and is an expert on plants that complement garden train layouts.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware that the sap of Sedum Acre is known to irritate the skin..
Should not be a problem, unless you are sensitive to it, except if hand-weeding, or controlling spread.

PhilP

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Sap of most plant instigate a rash, as a boy, during the summers I would regularly come home with a rash, and was told it was heat rash or hives, or something else, not until later life I realised I was sensitive to to plant sap, Ceanothus (Californian lilac) is a real issue.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hm think you would be struggling to get any sap out of a sedum, though I do not doubt it exista.