Planet T5 R/C on an Edrig

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Has anyone fitted an Edrig with Planet T5 2.4Ghz radio control?

If you have, where did you site the receiver and aerial to get decent reception, or doesn't it matter?

Dave

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Dave,
I fitted Futaba 2.4GHz kit to my Edrig. It all fits in the compartment below the footplate. The siting of the receiver and antennae doesn't seem to be too critical for garden railway applications of 2.4GHz.
I hope that helps.
Steve

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I have but I've not tested it yet! The reciever is in the box under the footplate, stuck to one side with the aerial pointing forwards, it just pokes out of the box. Said to keep it straight for best results, which is why it's poking out the box forwards. Might be a bit vulnerable but it's near the frames and quite high up so it should be OK.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
It's also quite a long way from the boiler Graham, I'm not quite that daft!

Probably further from the boiler than it would be in a sidetank, which is another option I'm considering.

brianthesnail96 said:
It's also quite a long way from the boiler Graham, I'm not quite that daft!

Probably further from the boiler than it would be in a sidetank, which is another option I'm considering.

Matt I really didn't think you would melt it... note smiley at end of sentence:)

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
You made me think though- I did consider mounting it next to the boiler and with the rather flimsy aerial it might have been an issue!

I did get the drift of your post, my response didn't come across as tongue in cheek as it was meant to- the problems of bantering in writing I suppose!

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the input so far, chaps.
I must admit I am more concerned about the aerial being screened than the possible overheating if located in the undertray.
That will be a suck-it-and-see exercise I suspect.
Only other possibility is in the cab but it's a bit cramped in there...

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Don't worry about the aerial, I fitted one recently for a friend, it worked fine over normal garden railway distances (about 60 feet in my garden) with it fully inside the box under the footplate. 2.4Ghz finds its way through no problem!!

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Interestingly it has fitted inside the cab against the back sheet. Even left enough room for the driver.
If it proves too intrusive - say if I want a whistle (and servo) it may end up in the under tray.
Thanks for the input.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Everyone.

Dave

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I have fitted the similar Giant Cod receiver in the box under my RH Katie and merely stuck the ariel to the receiver with blue tack to hold it away from the metal. It works fine. It seems that 2.4 ghz is happy to go through sheet metal.

A friend has just fitted the Planet system to his Edrig and put the receiver in the side tank. He also has one mini servo in there for the reverser and has another bracketed to the back sheet for the regulator. He has insulated his boiler with ceramic insulation and a brass wrapper - but this is to reduce the burner setting rather than protect the receiver whch could be easily insulated on its own. Not much testing yet though due to the weather but I will report when I hear any news.

Good luck with the project!
Cheers
Chris

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well, the conversion is complete.
The receiver fits neatly on the cab backsheet as reported previously and we have made a 'gate' over the rh stick of the transmitter. This holds the stick in either forward or reverse.
The lh stick is left as a ratchet so that the regulator stays put without having to hold it open.
Running trials will follow as soon as it gets a bit warmer and drier.