PIKO TEE lighting

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm working on one of these sets for a mate. He purchased it second hand fitted with an ESU decoder and PIKO internal coach lighting boards.
I was surprised to find that the lighting board leds are all wired in parallel. A quick check revealed a current consumption of about 12mA per led. As each coach has six leds and the two power cars three each the total current draw can become significant once extra coaches are added to the set. For example my mate has two extra coaches in addition to the set of two power cars and a coach giving 24 leds. The function output of the ESU chip is rated at 250mA, not enough by my maths!
My solution was to remove two of the resistors, cut the tracks in a couple of places and add a couple of wire links to each of the circuit boards, ending up with the three leds in series. This reduced the current per board of three leds from 36mA to 8mA.
The led brightness wasn't unduly reduced.
I suspect most readers who feel confident performing this modification would probably make up their own lighting boards as the Piko ones aren't cheap. However I hope this post gives some guidance.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The simpler solution, rather than hacking and thrashing around on the lighting boards, would have been to use an external transistor to boost the original ESU output from 250mA to 300mA.
For it's usage, Massoth Wiki Tips & Tricks....Massoth WIKI | Hohe Last für Funktionsausgänge F5 - F8

Fair comment.
However I feel there's some value in reducing the load on the decoder by a factor of 4.5 to 1, especially if you use a prototypical seven or more car train.