Piko G Scale Starter Set - Any good ?

Lazzy

Registered
27 Mar 2020
Buckley
Best answers
Hi all,
at last I've decided to enter the world of G Scale and am about to buy a Piko 37120 starter set ( with working sound & steam ) plus a few bits of extra track. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has started G scale in this way or has an opinion ( for or against this set ) before I place my order. Thanks.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Decide what you want to do. Piko is standard gauge. LGB is largely narrow gauge. Both will work with each other but do you mind if you mix and match.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The basic piko set is a bit basic and the controller is fine for running just that one engine alone. So it is great for a simple set up on the floor but if you seriously think you will be going somewhat further, some of the kit will be redundant.

Reactions: 1 user

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
I have an 0-6-0 Piko tank engine (DCC) with sound and smoke and it's tough as oid boots just not as well detailed as LGB stuff.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's exactly how I started. PIKO G-scale is a good brand. The sets are great value for money. You know it will all work out of the box and you can get a feel for the scale and then decide how you want to proceed. Even if you decide to go digital or battery it is always useful to have a basic analog controller and transformer to test things out. I still use the track and controller / transformer today. If you decide you don't want to go with German standard gauge models you can always sell them on. Perhaps not in today's climate but in normal circumstances there is a ready market for second hand locos and wagons, even the track if you decide R1 curves are not for you. If you are buying new check out topslots'n'trains as they usually have the best PIKO prices, and sometimes an ebay seller East Coast Railways has some bargains.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As has been said, Piko is pretty solid stuff. If you decide to stick with the sort of standard gauge that Piko represents be aware that LGB make fairly compatible German Trains that will match quite well. Best to look for items that have the 2 buffers like Piko does. Beware that some makes of Gauge 1 Trains will be much smaller and relatively incompatible. At least LGB and Piko have compatible couplings.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
The starter set 37120 is a good choice.
In the Piko catalogue the price is 350euros .
In the same catalogue the loco BR80 is already 240euros , so for 100 euros you got also the 2 cars, rails, power control !
240€ is the minimum price for any brand new loco.
Then the Piko hardware is quite strong . I have several Piko hardware : no breaks over 5 years.
With the 2 freight cars supplied you have game possibilities particularly if you have grandchildren.
In any case you will not be disappointed by your purchase.

-

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Topslots'n'trains have the set 37120 in stock for £290
https://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?ref=Piko-37120-G-Scale-DB-BR-80-FREIGHT-STARTER-SET---SOUND-AND-STEAM-&id=10285&manufacturer='PIKO%20G%20Scale'
They also have the DB set with 2 passenger cars 37125 for the same price, and the US style "White Pass & Yukon" 37106 for £300. Shipping to UK mainland is very cheap, usually £4 per order.
I have no connection with Darren at topslots but I have bought from him many times and he is a superb supplier.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Piko Starter Set for my German collection (with the stuff from my childhood being back in the UK).
Just to echo some of the comments here - there is definitely less detail than LGB and models the mainline stuff (not narrow gauge) but I've run it all together and it is functionally fine. One callout I will make is the locomotive is noticeably louder than LGB (the motor/whirring sound). It's nothing terrible but I noticed it.