Piko DCC

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone any experience or thoughts on the Piko DCC system. I know it is based on Massoths navigater, but what is the power of the booster? Is it a viable alternative for the 1200Z (if boosters added)?

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Standard set gives you 5A. There is a 5A booster announced for this year.

Functions are similar to Massoth but the PIKO system canNOT be connected to a computer. That's the only big difference I found so far.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is more similar to the LGB 3 with a navigator rather than a 1200Z which is miles superior.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
SGR said:
Has anyone any experience or thoughts on the Piko DCC system. I know it is based on Massoths navigater, but what is the power of the booster? Is it a viable alternative for the 1200Z (if boosters added)?

Yes it's a viable alternative in the sense that you will be able to operate DCC using a Navigator, but each section of line will be limited to 5.5 amps, compared to 10amps from a 1200Z. That may, or may not, be an issue for you. The real question for you is whether you need the 1200Z's features, or can reasonably expect to use them in the future. Oh and whether you can afford the one-off expense of a 1200Z! :crying:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mine wasnt:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The 1200Z is 12 amps not 10.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Apart from the additional power, what are the additional features of the 1200z? Also, do the two navigators (Piko & Massoth) have the same functions?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
The 1200Z is 12 amps not 10.

Sorry - my typo. D'oh! :confused:

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:

Functions are similar to Massoth but the PIKO system canNOT be connected to a computer. That's the only big difference I found so far.

If you can't connect the system to a PC, how would you do firmware updates?
And if anyone finds a link to an online Piko manual, please post the link here. I am considering one of these systems in the future and would like to review the manual before purchase.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Railfan said:
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:

And if anyone finds a link to an online Piko manual, please post the link here. I am considering one of these systems in the future and would like to review the manual before purchase.
I only have this one for you: http://gscalenews.com/PIKOparts/G-Digital.PDF
This is a bit the same: http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=warengruppe&vw_id=19 < Link To http://www.piko-shop.de/i...rengruppe&vw_id=19

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bump. Any updates or further knowledge on the Piko system?

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
I will have to agree that massoth is probably the best system but it's worth the price, I just love mine :love:
But when you think about looking into how it works your mind will explode trust me :confused: :rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Will the Piko central station work with a blue Massoth Navigator, or do you have to use Piko's own "badge-engineered" Navigator version? Just wondering, because I think the Piko one is actually more expensive than the Massoth?

Edit: yep, just checked, and it looks like the Piko Navigator is around 270 Euros compared with about 250 for the Massoth blue one....

Jon.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed it does appears to be more expensive than the Massoth Wireless Navi.

I notice the 1200z price seems have come down a bit too. Weren't these around a grand or so?

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
Indeed it does appears to be more expensive than the Massoth Wireless Navi.

I notice the 1200z price seems have come down a bit too. Weren't these around a grand or so?
The set i bought was central station Wireless Navigator, RC reciver That was near on £1,300. But i'm so glad i bought it... a lot better than the original MTS 2 i had before :clap:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's brilliant Phil but out of reach of my pockets mate. I think I'll have to get a navi and run it on my MTS III, then try to graduate to the 1200z later on.

Or I could sell wifey's car :D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a good plan, Gareth - once you've got your Navigator, then the jump to a Dimax base unit isn't quite so horrific as buying the complete package in one go. You could always go for an 800Z rather than a 1200Z, and run it off your MTS transformer - from Jeremy's (Dragon G) prices (with the 5% GSC discount) the 800Z is just over £522 at the moment, as against about £798 (with discount) for the 1200Z.

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Railfan said:

You dont update it - simples.:impatient:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A good start is the Navigator and a second hand MTS3 which are quite often available.The Navigator is streets ahead of the MTS handset in my opinion.