PIKO DCC -- recommended for small layout?

lynxface

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Hi All,

Thinking of upgrading from my MTS II (P) system. I only have a small layout; a few switch decoders, lights and around 5 locos. The locos have a mixture of mfx & LGB 55020 decoders.

Would love to go Massoth, but the price tag is a bit hefty! The Piko Complete DCC system looked a good alternative (CS, Handheld, Power Supply & Wireless transmitter ... all for £750)

Just wanted to check others' experiences. I've had two blown mfx decoders with MTS II and I just don't quite trust it!

Reckon the Piko would work seamlessly with my LGB / mfx decoders? Anyone on here with experiences of Piko DCC for small-scale layouts?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Alex

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I can't answer your question, but related to this have you been following this thread?
Ml-train dcc system - G Scale Central
I don't have one, never seen it, but the OP seems pleased with this setup and he like you was moving on from MTS II.
It is about half the price of the PIKO setup you mention.
Not sure he has tried it with mfx decoders, you could ask him.
Not really sure why your old MTS should have blown mfx decoders. Did you switch them to DCC only with CV 50=0?

lynxface

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
I can't answer your question, but related to this have you been following this thread?
Ml-train dcc system - G Scale Central
I don't have one, never seen it, but the OP seems pleased with this setup and he like you was moving on from MTS II.
It is about half the price of the PIKO setup you mention.
Not sure he has tried it with mfx decoders, you could ask him.
Not really sure why your old MTS should have blown mfx decoders. Did you switch them to DCC only with CV 50=0?
Hi idlemarvel,

You’re right that is an interesting thread... the OP seems satisfied and that’s a very good price. Going to think it over a bit more and take the plunge.

Eurika moment: after months of agonising, I’ve discovered what’s messing with decoders. Pretty sure it’s inductance on the line. I run a long bus wire up to the track that’s non-flexed. Also have occasional runaway locos which is another textbook symptom.

The solution is apparently a snubber/RC filter. Hoping I can get away with getting this recent decoder rebooted...

Thanks very much for your thoughts !

W

Wim6467

Registered
14 May 2020
Belgium
I have both centrals : Massoth 1200z and Piko. Actually : Piko Central is made by Massoth. So they are compatible. I use the Piko as back-ou for the Massoth or when I go to trainshows.

Reactions: lynxface
lynxface

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
I have both centrals : Massoth 1200z and Piko. Actually : Piko Central is made by Massoth. So they are compatible. I use the Piko as back-ou for the Massoth or when I go to trainshows.
Interesting, thanks for this insight.