PIKO 37240 Analogue BR50 ##### NOW AVAILABLE #####

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't opened the bag Phil, but I suspect not from some of the comments I've read. When it is safe for me to reopen the box I'll have a look.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that, if I was starting out now, with the lack of Fn3 available, I could have been tempted to go Piko :nod: :nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that, if I was starting out now, with the lack of Fn3 available, I could have been tempted to go Piko :nod: :nod:
Yes I think it would have been an acceptable way into a Backwoods East German Standard Gauge Railway, despite the Scale / Gauge Track differences. After all they would certainly be less grating the English TT that used a Track Gauge of 12mm to represent 4’8 1/2” in 3mm Scale. The front end view was a dead give away. Model Railways is full of what-if’s!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I think it would have been an acceptable way into a Backwoods East German Standard Gauge Railway, despite the Scale / Gauge Track differences. After all they would certainly be less grating the English TT that used a Track Gauge of 12mm to represent 4’8 1/2” in 3mm Scale. The front end view was a dead give away. Model Railways is full of what-if’s!
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what I have, but the Piko range is becoming impressive and, as you say, if you can forgive the track gauge issue (which for British modellers who have lived with 00 for so long is almost a given) then it could be very tempting

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
What a magnificent model in most respects!!! The first thing I'd do is to remove the vastly over-sized and unnecessary front coupling unit, unless, of course, you are going to copy dunnyrail's running backwards style of loco useage.

It is just HUGE compared with the Aster Gauge 1 Br52, and it's best not to have them anywhere near each other on a display, TBH.

Dimensions of the Aster model with the tub tender -

Dimensions:
Length O.B: 739.4 mm
Height : 138.3 mm
Width: 98 mm

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what I have, but the Piko range is becoming impressive and, as you say, if you can forgive the track gauge issue (which for British modellers who have lived with 00 for so long is almost a given) then it could be very tempting
THREAD DRIFT ON.
There is no doubt that all the Continental TT at a smaller scale is very impressive, though those horrible East German origin Couplers are just hideous. Though I gather that there are newer options now with pull out so that KD’s can be used. Much nicer and Operationally better as well.
THREAD DRIFT OFF.
You can though get a variety of 50 in TT.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have I missed what is in the accessory pack? :think:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Have I missed what is in the accessory pack? :think:
No. Having to tread carefully ATM. Window of opportunity may arise tomorrow with any luck.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Understood.. :lipssealed::lipssealed:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I'd let you know that Massoth are doing an offer on a sound decoder for the BR50....it consists of an XLS decoder (with the correct sounds), speaker and a Powercap Micro buffer....but only until the end of the month.....if your interested, you can order through me.... My price is £199 + delivery (uk £4.95). You will save £15 over my normal price for the same bits (£214).

Massoth BR50 XLS set

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I'd let you know that Massoth are doing an offer on a sound decoder for the BR50....it consists of an XLS decoder (with the correct sounds), speaker and a Powercap Micro buffer....but only until the end of the month.....if your interested, you can order through me.... My price is £199 + delivery (uk £4.95). You will save £15 over my normal price for the same bits (£214).

Massoth BR50 XLS set

Thanks Mark, that's significantly cheaper than buying the PIKO 36125 and 36230 units. A couple of questions: any drawbacks in using this on my ageing MTS2 system? Is it easy to fit? I have the wiring schematic from the instructions, but it's obviously all geared for the PIKO units.
Mike

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,

Drawbacks.....only that you are using MTS2 ;) The XLS can be set to handle Serial Commands if your system is not "p" enabled and 14 speed steps that it uses .

Installation is another matter, but the principles of installing any decoder is the same regardless of manufacturer, the connections will basically be the same just not arranged in the same order :).

Swedmodeler

Registered
1 Nov 2018
Kingdom of Sweden
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice video! I saw a similar loco IRL when I visited my grandparents in Norway at Solörbanen back in the 1960ies. 1971 they were replaced with the big Swedish Nohab-diesels with ironfences over the windows. Why does'nt PIKO or LGB make models of this loco who also was at duty in Denmark (class MY 11), Belgium, Luxembourg and other European countries? :speechless:

Bolendo

Registered
12 Feb 2021
Gourock, Inverclyde.
Best answers
Country flag
I saw these beasties at work in the former DDR. They seemed equally at home at the head of massive plodding freights, or lightweight passenger trains with half a dozen four wheel coaches. I am sorely tempted. My outdoor layout is restricted by R1 curves, but I am considering building an indoor layout ina spare bedroom with gentler curves. Can you tell me what radius they are comfortable with?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have the Piko 2-10-2 tank and it is certainly challenged on R1 but fine on R2. I would guess the tender coupling to be a defining difference to this.