Picked up these 4 wood cars recently

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Finding what could be real close to 16mm rolling stock in the USA is rare. But on an estate sale table, I found these 4 cars, 2 that were complete and 2 that need roofs and painted. I gave the Kaydee knuckle couplers to my friend and replaced them with LGB hook and loops. I also replaced the metal wheels with LGB spoked plastic ones. Now I know that will throw a few folks for a loop, but let me explain. For those that do not know, I am autistic, and I have very sensitive hearing. The sound of metal wheels on metal rails on my overhead loop in the house is untollerable for me. The noise from the locomotive wheels are enough, without the sound of a whole train of metal wheels. This is also why I do not use chuff pipes in my live steamers. I can hear the chuffs just fine. In fact, a couple models in our live steam group are so loud that I have to cover my ears or leave the area when they are running. The owners know this and give me a "heads up" when they are going to run that model so I can either get my ear muffs out or take a walk around the show for a bit. Any how, one of the two black ones has a hole in the rear wall. So...I am going to make a lamp iron to hand my L&B red lantern on the rear and wire it to a battery pack inside the car. Instead of the expensive internal hearing aid batteries that barely make it thru one show. Not sure what color the other two will be, but atleast one will be a special "Autism/Asperger's" car with some decals I have that I plan to mount to pieces of brass to look like signs bolted to the wood car sides. Mike the Aspie
Resized_20171218_113912.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Finding what could be real close to 16mm rolling stock in the USA is rare. But on an estate sale table, I found these 4 cars, 2 that were complete and 2 that need roofs and painted. I gave the Kaydee knuckle couplers to my friend and replaced them with LGB hook and loops. I also replaced the metal wheels with LGB spoked plastic ones. Now I know that will throw a few folks for a loop, but let me explain. For those that do not know, I am autistic, and I have very sensitive hearing. The sound of metal wheels on metal rails on my overhead loop in the house is untollerable for me. The noise from the locomotive wheels are enough, without the sound of a whole train of metal wheels. This is also why I do not use chuff pipes in my live steamers. I can hear the chuffs just fine. In fact, a couple models in our live steam group are so loud that I have to cover my ears or leave the area when they are running. The owners know this and give me a "heads up" when they are going to run that model so I can either get my ear muffs out or take a walk around the show for a bit. Any how, one of the two black ones has a hole in the rear wall. So...I am going to make a lamp iron to hand my L&B red lantern on the rear and wire it to a battery pack inside the car. Instead of the expensive internal hearing aid batteries that barely make it thru one show. Not sure what color the other two will be, but atleast one will be a special "Autism/Asperger's" car with some decals I have that I plan to mount to pieces of brass to look like signs bolted to the wood car sides. Mike the Aspie
Resized_20171218_113912.jpg

A lucky find (and purchase!). I find wood quite a versatile medium.

I can empathise with sensitive hearing. At one time I could honestly say I hadn't heard what the wife said. Now, I can hear electronics and modern lightbulbs. A visit to the bathroom can sound like shards of glass cascading!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A lucky find (and purchase!). I find wood quite a versatile medium.

I can empathise with sensitive hearing. At one time I could honestly say I hadn't heard what the wife said. Now, I can hear electronics and modern lightbulbs. A visit to the bathroom can sound like shards of glass cascading!
Not wishing to be to too personal or inquisitive, how did your hearing improve?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to be to too personal or inquisitive, how did your hearing improve?

I had my ears pressure washed! It is too sensitive. For a day, or so, it was horrible and I was confined to bed.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I had my ears pressure washed! It is too sensitive. For a day, or so, it was horrible and I was confined to bed.
That sounds (sorry) unpleasant I hope you get back to normal soon. Mind you it can't be worse than not hearing at all

Reactions: 1 user

Rob1962

Registered
21 Jan 2018
New York City. USA
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Can someone recommend an Online USA shop,Good Pricing etc Rolling Stock.??

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

It could have been worse it could have been a colonic irrigation. When I get back from the US my lady doctor is going to perform a rectal examination of my prostate. I did tell her I thought we had to be engaged first. It is all Tanker man's fault after his recent scare, I've never had my prostate examined before. I also have my bi-annual bowel cancer test to do when I get back. All in all I think I'd rather have my ears washed out.

I know this has nothing to do with wooden wagons, I just thought I'd form a splinter group.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It could have been worse it could have been a colonic irrigation. When I get back from the US my lady doctor is going to perform a rectal examination of my prostate. I did tell her I thought we had to be engaged first. It is all Tanker man's fault after his recent scare, I've never had my prostate examined before. I also have my bi-annual bowel cancer test to do when I get back. All in all I think I'd rather have my ears washed out.

I know this has nothing to do with wooden wagons, I just thought I'd form a splinter group.

David

Thank (insert deity of choice) you said 'splinter'! :eek::tmi:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

David

It is digital you know! Don't know which digit they use though.

Reactions: 1 user