Phoenix sound USB to Serial cable

Overner

Registered
15 May 2021
Ningwood
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Phoenix P8 sound card in my newly aquired RC, battery powered Accucraft Class 66 and I would like to get familiar with the programming features. I would like to know if an FTDI FT232 chipped adapter would be OK to use with an appropriate 3.5mm stereo jack plug. I have the P8 manual which gives the pin assignment as tip - 5v .. Ring - data ( I assume Tx) and sleeve gnd.

The sounds are very good but do not really reflect the way an EMD sounds, as the loco moves before the engine revs rise whereas with the 1:1 loco the diesel engine normally revs before the motors move the train, particularly with a heavy load. I am hoping I can achieve this, even if I have to have the motor control and Sound control on different channels of the RC ... ?

Comments very welcome ..

Andy

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Andy.,
There is a little more to it than that..
You would really need the Phoenix interface unit, if you wanted to change things using the computer software

Do you have the P8 manual? - you can change many things without using the software..

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Way more and it is not a simple rs-232 interface, they did some tricks to make you buy their programmer.

Unless you understand electronics (it is possible to build one) buy the programmer, or find a DCC friend and program it on his DCC system.

Your issue is just a setting issue. Also, it does NOT vary sounds by BEMF feedback. It is old technology with nice sound files.

Greg

Overner

Registered
15 May 2021
Ningwood
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Greg - I notice on your website you state that the cable can be built for half the retail price so if you have details of this I would be very interested. Also if can you help with advise on the settings to resolve the issue, I would be grateful ..

Thanks .. Andy

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have not documented the build, but mean to, it's on one of the forums.

Until you have the programmer or a DCC system, the settings are moot.

Did you get the manual for the decoder yet? It's not a complex procedure. I'm assuming you are running in analog mode?

Greg

Overner

Registered
15 May 2021
Ningwood
Best answers
Country flag
I have not documented the build, but mean to, it's on one of the forums.

Until you have the programmer or a DCC system, the settings are moot.

Did you get the manual for the decoder yet? It's not a complex procedure. I'm assuming you are running in analog mode?

Greg
Yes, I have the Phoenix P8 manual and the loco is battery powered, Radio controlled - I have searched the various forums for the cable build with no luck, so If you could point me to a link that would be great ..

Overner

Registered
15 May 2021
Ningwood
Best answers
Country flag
I already have a USB to serial adapter which I used for another project - Do you know if this would be adaptable?81bEr4hSZYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When programming Phoenix units be sure to turn off MTS!!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, you need some more electronics to change the standard RS-232 to the electrical interface Phoenix uses.

You need to contact Phoenix to get the schematic.

You CANNOT use an off the shelf RS-232 electrical interface....

Greg