Phoenix P8 function allocation

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've just made my first attempt to change the function button allocation for a Phoenix P8 unit.
I've successfully downloaded the required steam file (Uintah mallet rev 10) using Phoenix's computer interface unit.
I'm able to swap some of the sounds around but not those on F7 and F8, volume up and down. Is it possible to reallocate these functions?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, that should not be a problem... I do it all the time.

You are probably getting a 'multiple sources' error message. - you need to change the volume up and down settings to a different function, or none.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, that should not be a problem... I do it all the time.

You are probably getting a 'multiple sources' error message. - you need to change the volume up and down settings to a different function, or none.

Thanks Phil,
I'd come across that error message and sorted it as you suggest by setting the unwanted sounds to zero. This didn't work when I tried it with the volume controls.
I'll try again later in a more controlled manner. Earlier I was just quickly trying to familiariise myself with the options.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is remembering where the volume control settings are which gets me..

I normally have to go back and forth a couple of times.. :rolleyes:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, almost all sounds are now allocated appropriately.
However I thought it would be a good idea to allocate the generator sound to the same function buttons as the lighting. That way the generator would always be running when any lights were on and a function button would be available for another sound effect. The problem is I've been unable to allocate a sound to F0. Is this possible?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, almost all sounds are now allocated appropriately.
However I thought it would be a good idea to allocate the generator sound to the same function buttons as the lighting. That way the generator would always be running when any lights were on and a function button would be available for another sound effect. The problem is I've been unable to allocate a sound to F0. Is this possible?

I do not think so....
However, a bit of lateral thinking, and you can do it.

Set a spare decoder function output to be controlled by the lighting key..
Connect this function output to a trigger input on the P8, and do it that way.. .. ..

Now, there is just the nagging doubt about whether there is a way to trigger this. - I will have to get the P8 manual out.