First Snow  - 1 (2).jpeg

First Snow  - 1 (3).jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Looks a bit like UK snow.. Insignificant, wet, and annoying!?

On a 12"and to the foot scale..

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Country flag
Though I don't personally like cold and snow, trains look great in snow.
Haven't ever figured out why they look good in the snow, but they sure do.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
Though I don't personally like cold and snow, trains look great in snow.
Haven't ever figured out why they look good in the snow, but they sure do.
Live steam looks fantastic with the cold air exaggerating the steam

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
Someone starting a new RR asked about passing sidings. I suggested that they make any they put in longer than they think they need. I was speaking from experience! Here is my Guarda Station as it originally existed a few days ago.
Guarda extension - 1.jpeg

The mainline is nearest us in this view and I thought the run-around nearest the station would be fine. I was disappointed with the length almost from the get-go. There wasn't a whole lot of room to expand but I had about 3/4 of a meter of straight on the trestle after the turnout on the lower left right.

Guarda extension - 1 (1).jpeg

I didn't really want to put the turnout on the trestle but had no option if I wanted to extend the run-around. So I put in a couple of new stringers between the first two bents on the right,

Guarda extension - 1 (2).jpeg

and moved moved both turnouts on the south end almost half meter. The result turned out OK. The run-around length is still not what I'd like but it's a lot better than it was!

Guarda extension - 1 (3).jpeg

I was worried it might look strange. It worked out fine however. Appearance wise that short bit of straight leading into the turnout really makes all the difference. The extra track I've now got in the station is a huge improvement.

As an aside, I now know why most major construction takes place in the warmer months!

Last edited:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Country flag
I was worried it might look strange.
Hey, it fits within the range of railway normality, for instance,

Switch on a Bridge

A Bethlehem Steel-bound Conrail ore train crosses the Lehigh River in Bethlehem, PA. The train is coming from the former Jersey Central main line, and is entering the former Reading North Penn Branch. The diverging track is a connection to the former Lehigh Valley main line. The LV connection is still in service, while the switch and the North Penn Branch are long gone.

https://flic.kr/p/2eRRVKg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Someone starting a new RR asked about passing sidings. I suggested that they make any they put in longer than they think they need. I was speaking from experience! Here is my Guarda Station as it originally existed a few days ago.
View attachment 293567

The mainline is nearest us in this view and I thought the run-around nearest the station would be fine. I was disappointed with the length almost from the get-go. There wasn't a whole lot of room to expand but I had about 3/4 of a meter of straight on the trestle after the turnout on the lower left.

View attachment 293568

I didn't really want to put the turnout on the trestle but had no option if I wanted to extend the run-around. So I put in a couple of new stringers between the first two bents on the right,

View attachment 293569

and moved moved both turnouts on the south end almost half meter. The result turned out OK. The run-around length is still not what I'd like but it's a lot better than it was!

View attachment 293570

I was worried it might look strange. It worked out fine however. Appearance wise that short bit of straight leading into the turnout really makes all the difference. The extra track I've now got in the station is a huge improvement.

As an aside, I now know why most major construction takes place in the warmer months!
The problem with loops is that no matter how long they are there will always end up being a meet where one train is longer. The answer here is pretty straightforwards as you can use the second track to stage the longer train while the shorter one passes through. Zig zags for passing trains can also add fun where one is longer.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
A Bethlehem Steel-bound Conrail ore train
Not a more seasonal donkey then?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
I caught this Allegra mixed goods delivering Winter's necessities - beer and heating oil!

Alegra mixed goods - 1.jpeg

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
I finally decided to try ballasting a portion of my rail that is laid on block. I used "Cherrystone #2 Grit", Cherry Stone® – TCC Materials, which was purchased at a Family Farm & Home store near where I live. The grit is sharp crushed quartzite. It is available in different sizes. It cost me $8 US for a 50 pound bag. The #2 has an average size of 3/16" (approx. 5mm). I feel it is the best size of the Cherrystone Grits to represent actual ballast. I've tried some #1, 1/16" average size but it is too fine in my opinion, likewise, #3 at 5/16" is too big. The color is OK. I would have preferred something more the color of crushed limestone but for the price and convenience I'll put up with the somewhat rose tinge.

The first step was to cover the rails. I used Painters Tape. I had a 1" wide roll on hand that I split down the middle by running a sharp knife around the roll. ballast - 1 (3).jpeg

The roughly 1/2" width was perfect for the job. Next I spread some grit between the rails using a garden trowel. The grit was spread out and "shaped" using a 2" paint brush. The 2" size was big enough to not take all day, yet the bristles were fine enough for good control of the spread.

ballast - 1 (2).jpeg

Finally, the ballast was set with a spray of "Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue". The glue was diluted about 2:1 water to glue to make it easily sprayable. About 6 drops dishwashing liquid was added to help the wetting action. I used an old repurposed spray bottle to apply the glue mix. The tape was removed from the rails before the glue had a chance to set. This made sure the tape came off cleanly. It was then left overnight to cure. In the pic above the already glued and set ballast can be discerned by the darker color.

ballast - 1 (4).jpeg

Here are a few more pics of the finished ballast.

ballast - 1.jpeg

ballast - 1 (1).jpeg
ballast - 1 (6).jpeg

I think is looks pretty good. I am concerned a bit about how solidly the glue has set the track. The ballasted section has lost the complete freedom to expand or contract the track previously had. I did need to glue the ballast. I use a string trimmer to cut the grass by the track and use a battery operated shop blower to clear the trimmings from the rails just to keep maintenance simple. I didn't want to be blowing ballast everywhere.

I don't think I'll be doing any more until I can assess how this section holds up. If all is well next Spring I'll finish the job. Otherwise, I will need to re-think my approach.

Edited to explain when the painters tape was removed from the rails - before the glue could set!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
That looks really good, the colour seems perfect, it matches some of the ballast we have over here

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Country flag
The ballast has made it look brilliant.