Phil S' RR

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Sorry to be so right about your Tunnel! But you have come up with an elegant solution albeit with a lot of work and metal. Good job those blocks are loose fit jobbies that make changes much easier.

Noted you talking about Ballast Glue, external PVA let down 50/50 with water and a litte washing up liquid will work just fine. A good spray (water and a little washing up liquid) prior to slopping the glue in place helps it to bed in (use an old Glue Container with a hole 3-5 mm approx to apply being careful around points and none on track surfaces). It is fine to use a little Oil on moving parts to discourage glue sticking them. It will be milky coloured on first appication but will dry clear, also best done on a warm sunny day so that it dries in good time. Overnight drying can sometimes screw up the proces, particularly if there has been any ground frost. Sometime a second application may be required to get it good and solid.

In future if you need to lift your track it will come up easily and a clean using a Steam Wallaper Stripper will get it all off.

P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Revok - I'd be pulling a Trump - for you continental types - telling porkies, if I said extensive planning went into my line. I knew I wanted real water with track running beside it, a bridge across it and a fairly long tunnel somewhere. Other than that, the line just sort of "grew". The bridge went from being a single span to a triple in order to "look right". The simple loop evolved into a quasi folded dogbone to get a longer run. And, I never intended for there to be a second stream. It was the leftover pile of dirt, rocks and two smaller bridges begging to have a real function that prompted it. Once I started digging dirt, building walls, and laying block it became sort of addictive. Things kind of happened on the fly. I still haven't decided how I want to incorporate my next loop. All I know for sure is that it's going to attach to what is currently the stub coming off the wye. I've got to think about ease of yard maintenance, cutting the grass, access to the shed and a possible branch line into the shed. Oh how nice it would be to just drive the trains somewhere secure for the night and dispense with all those red boxes!

Phil S.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Yes a track to a Shed for stock and a few shelves in the House near the Shed for Locomotives is the way to go if you can plan it. Having built a few lines that did not go that way I was determined to get it right on this and my previous line.

lgbmad

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
All very impressive.......and it's RHB....love it.
Kev

Scot Lawrence

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Phil, the railroad looks great! :)
Have you had any problems with frost heave? with the blocks on the ground?
I have an area of my railroad where I could use a similar system of blocks, but im afraid frost heave will move the blocks around every spring. (Western NY, USA)
thanks,
Scot

P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hi Scot - The block has only been down through one winter. We did have quit a bit of snow and three or four freeze-thaw cycles here in Ann Arbor. But, probably not near the snow you get if you're near Buffalo! There has been no evidence of frost heave so far. I do have 3 to 4 inches of compacted slag sand base under the blocks. That provides stability and drainage. Essentially they're laid like you would pavers for a patio or walkway. The pics in post #4 will give you a good idea how I put them down.

Phil S.

Last edited:
P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A few night shots taken today. (The water is off until the leaves stop falling.)

Crossing the River.
108132_af8ef240b2a3ca7418bec02b43e9e862.jpg

Exiting the tunnel.

108136_80bbb9e58f93da616aed3e6898b09e73.jpg

Approaching the plate girder bridge.
108138_7bb4e22734e1ee180c37688c7c8cad7f.jpg

Looking into one of the tunnel galleries.
108140_a39fc2ec094b2f9ba32399b1edf86e18.jpg

Phil S.