PEI build plate

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Is anyone else using these?

I use a Creality Ender3 printer and had previously used the supplied flexible plate which I fixed to the bed with mini bulldog clips.

On my previous printer I'd used a glass plate with thermal transfer sheet beneath and hairspray on the top.

During my printing exploits with the Ender, I started getting terrible bed adhesion problems after briefly printing in petg. No amount of tweaking temperatures, bed levelling and re-levelling, trying pritt stick or painters tape gave me a decent result.

In desperation I tried a PEI sheet: I opted for the Creality one rather than a 3rd party one and tried not to think about the £30 price tag too much.

What a revelation! It came as a thin adhesive metal sheet which you carefully (because its a one-shot affair) stick to the heated bed.
The top sheet is a peculiar, coated stiff flexible magnetic/plastic affair.

I put the top sheet on, levelled the bed as normal and tried printing without altering any settings other than removing the raft I'd resorted to trying.

The first print was perfect, I pulled off the magnetic plate, flexed it to release the part and popped it back on.
The next part came out perfectly, and the next and the next. I must have printed around 30 parts now and I haven't needed to so much as touch the bed. No levelling, no cleaning (there's nothing to clean!).

I don't even remove the plate now. Simply pull the pieces off after they're done. No more clips getting in the way and the bottom of the pieces are as smooth as glass once removed.

I'll be putting one on my next printer straight after it comes out of the box! :D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
On my ender 3 Pro. It came with the magnetic flexibil peel off bed.. I've had no problems getting my prints to stick, apart from when the nozel was to far away.. Bed leveling, it's funny, the more I print, the less I worry about it, ie, I do it, by rack of my eye.. I must be getting used to it..

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
It's strange Mike. I also had the magentic flexible one that came with the printer and that's all I used to use. I didn't get any problems and I used an old Creality slicer that shipped with the printer to create the gcode which I then uploaded to an Octoprint server I had running on a little Pi.

It never seemed to skip a beat but once I tried the petg, it never seemed the same. I purged the extruder for a good time to make sure I'd got rid of it all. After that, as I say I just coudn't get bed adhesion. I tried different slicers, bed and extruder temperatures, cooling, fills. The only way I could get PLA to stick to the bed again was to use a raft. Very peculiar. Perhaps the bed heating is a bit off now? I'd heard the Creality thermisters can under-read a bit. Whether that's true I don't know.

Anyway, this thing had quite a few good reviews so I thought it might be worth a punt. Thankfully it has sorted all that now, so I'm happy again :)