Peco track and proto wheels

Jaime

Registered
31 Jul 2016
Rancagua, CHILE
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone

Anyone with experience in using finescale locomotives on PECO Streamline SL 800 (code 200) tracks ? I use my Marklin locomotives without problems , but now I want to buy a modelbex .
Thank you very much
Jaime

Attachments

• 95DCCD97-324D-4AF1-B31E-6C63153BC2F5.jpeg
    95DCCD97-324D-4AF1-B31E-6C63153BC2F5.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 25DD089A-EC64-4C62-ABCF-20692F875FC3.jpeg
    25DD089A-EC64-4C62-ABCF-20692F875FC3.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 584EA88A-DD95-4C7C-A46A-44DCEFBC4A78.jpeg
    584EA88A-DD95-4C7C-A46A-44DCEFBC4A78.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am pretty sure that they should be ok with Peco. I have had Merlin Live Steam locomotives that had their wheels to Gauge 1 fine scale standards that ran perfectly on Peco points. But as ever I would be tempted to contact Company or seller to check out back to back measurements.

Oh nice to see your superb buildings in a long scene.

Jaime

Registered
31 Jul 2016
Rancagua, CHILE
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you so much for your answers , from modelbex told me that peco isn’t suitable for proto wheels. I think this is true for peco gauge G , I will ask him again, especially for the measurements.
Best regards

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be interested in the answer, my guess is that it's not the curved and tangent (straight) track, but the points/turnouts/switches. Fine scale wheels will need narrower flangeways, and in general more closely controlled tolerances. A lot of commercial sectional track is not well gauged.

The narrower treads on fine scale wheels will often let the wheels drop into the frog, or the flangeways being too wide will not allow them to correctly guide the wheelsets (controlled by back of wheel and flangeway) into the frog.

Will be waiting for the answer that has more "meat" than "just not suitable".

Regards, Greg

Jaime

Registered
31 Jul 2016
Rancagua, CHILE
Best answers
Country flag
Answer from the owner of
Modelbex to Greg's comments:

Dear Jaime,

Right he is, points/turnouts/switches are the issue. And he is talking about Fine scale wheels. The wheels on the CC 6574 are Proto-wheels, i.e. finer than Fine scale wheels.

Jaime

Registered
31 Jul 2016
Rancagua, CHILE
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks to both for your help !!!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, if you were to run on just track, and no points, no problem as long as you meet the minimum radius the loco will handle. (and your track is gauged accurately)

(although, not knowing the suspension system on the loco, your track probably needs to be very level and "smooth")

if you had some points on the mainline, you could probably tweak any that were "straight through" by shimming the flangeway width on the straight outer rail, and perhaps you might have to fill the frog a bit.

Trying to follow the diverging route would take an entire new set of points I would believe.

Another fellow here, Igor, is making a "problem" loco, and he realizes he may have to customize his turnouts, although he is having a completely different issue, so cannot compare the solutions.

Regards, Greg

Jaime

Registered
31 Jul 2016
Rancagua, CHILE
Best answers
Country flag
So, if you were to run on just track, and no points, no problem as long as you meet the minimum radius the loco will handle. (and your track is gauged accurately)

(although, not knowing the suspension system on the loco, your track probably needs to be very level and "smooth")

if you had some points on the mainline, you could probably tweak any that were "straight through" by shimming the flangeway width on the straight outer rail, and perhaps you might have to fill the frog a bit.

Trying to follow the diverging route would take an entire new set of points I would believe.

Another fellow here, Igor, is making a "problem" loco, and he realizes he may have to customize his turnouts, although he is having a completely different issue, so cannot compare the solutions.

Regards, Greg
Thank you very much Greg, in this case the solution will come from the brand itself , they offered to change to standard wheels at no cost. For my indoor layout I would have had no problems , but not is the same for my garden layout , over the years have appeared some small unevennesses that would have complicated me.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I have been having similar questions rolling around in my head recently but for Gauge 1 fine scale rather than proto wheel standards, take a look at the G1MRA wheel and track standards I have found them useful, and when ordering wheels etc I always confirm with a supplier what standard they are working too to avoid getting wheels which won't go through my trackwork.

I build all my own track so sorry I cant help with your question about compatibility.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good deal Jaime, it's very hard to control the scale 1:1 world to 1:24 or so specifications.

It's just too tough with a raindrop scaling to about 8 inches in diameter!

Great solution, will look forwards to seeing your loco with your excellent work!

Greg