PCC car arrives…

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
The long awaited Aristocraft PCC car arrived yesterday. First impression very small in comparison to LGB and even smaller compared to Bachmann. Yes I know it’s 1/29 scale, but, rubber rulers and all that?

Anyway, took it up to the loft this mornin. Beautiful model and runner! Far too small to run in conjunction with my particular layout. So two dilemmas. Do I keep and run on the odd occasion? Do I offload to someone who is not that particular about what they run? There is also the problem of Brockett’s Bridge station, which has a single platform and the fact that the PCC is single ended with the doors on one side only.

So, I do really like the LGB streetcars having two of them. I wouldn’t mind a third! (hint-hint). Anyone want a PCC car as a swap? :wasntme:

Attachments

• IMG_7913.jpeg
    IMG_7913.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7912.jpeg
    IMG_7912.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7911.jpeg
    IMG_7911.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7910.jpeg
    IMG_7910.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The long awaited Aristocraft PCC car arrived yesterday. First impression very small in comparison to LGB and even smaller compared to Bachmann. Yes I know it’s 1/29 scale, but, rubber rulers and all that?

Anyway, took it up to the loft this mornin. Beautiful model and runner! Far too small to run in conjunction with my particular layout. So two dilemmas. Do I keep and run on the odd occasion? Do I offload to someone who is not that particular about what they run? There is also the problem of Brockett’s Bridge station, which has a single platform and the fact that the PCC is single ended with the doors on one side only.

So, I do really like the LGB streetcars having two of them. I wouldn’t mind a third! (hint-hint). Anyone want a PCC car as a swap? :wasntme:
Having travelled in PCC’s in San Fran and Newark I had contemplated getting one if these, glad I did not as the scale is very very Gauge 1 rather than G.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having travelled in PCC’s in San Fran and Newark I had contemplated getting one if these, glad I did not as the scale is very very Gauge 1 rather than G.
Oh c’mon Jon, you know you really want one…:rofl:

TBH they would be more suited to an outdoor layout where there are not many buildings and could run as a stand alone model.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, a solution for your single ended car and one platform face?

Buy another and run them back to back....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Or you could build a small layout just for your PCC cars.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, a solution for your single ended car and one platform face?

I had thought of that…but…one of them would have their doors on the wrong side. I did think of coupling one of the streetcars to it and running in tandem. The streetcars have doors both sides and are double ended, but…the size difference puts me off somewhat.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 1

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Or you could build a small layout just for your PCC cars.
Yes..I could if if I had the room. It would have to be either a roundy round one, or one with a loop at both ends. Another small snag is I only have one PCC car, which seems to be going to a lot of trouble for one car! Nice idea though, thanks.
Cheers
Martin

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I thought about getting one of those when they first came out but the size of the thing compared with the rest of my stock made me abandon that idea.

I have driven a real Baltimore PCC car at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum though..........

11-2674.jpg

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I thought about getting one of those when they first came out but the size of the thing compared with the rest of my stock made me abandon that idea.

I have driven a real Baltimore PCC car at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum though..........

View attachment 320634
Now I’m really jealous
Cheers and thanks for the pic.
Martin

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I wouldn’t mind a third! (hint-hint)

I'll drop you a PM when I'm back home (Sunday onwards). in the meantime, what colour(s) are you after? Just a motor? Or a trailer too?

Cheers

David

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David,

Dropped you a pm.
Cheers

Martin

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
This has actually been done many times by real-life tram companies. Let's say that during works on the track, you need to temporarily run a section as a single track shuttle. But you only have unidirectional trams. So you couple them back to back and now you can keep operating, with minimal disruption felt by the passengers.

So your idea would be entirely prototypical.

Last edited: