PC Module updating soundfile

Trebor

Retired to play with my trains
2 Aug 2018
Mid-west USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have been trying to change a sound file on my LGB 28003. I connected my XLS >3.5 to a LGB Buhler motor. There are no track power connections. I connected the SUSI cable from the PC Module to the decoder port. The power to the PC Module is 22V dc The PC module is connected to my Lenovo 110S laptop by cable.

I get theReading No Data 117 error and then I notice that my PC Module is turned off. The PC Module was on just before I received the error message.

I would accept any suggestions. I am determined to learn how to update firmware, software and sound files.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trebor

This sounds like the same problem I had when attempting to do firmware updates to XLS decoders using the SUSI cable from my PC module. Despite much helpful advice and many constructive suggestions from folk on this forum, I could never get it to work. I have therefore stuck with the slower, but in my case more reliable, method of connecting the decoder to the PC module via a couple of cables and accepting it will take a while for the update to complete - I think firmware updates were about 15 mins and sound file updates about 25 mins.

If I remember correctly, I think I also get the "Reading No Data 117" message at the start of the update but then after several seconds the process kicks off and a series of messages like "Block 001 OK", "Block 002 OK" started appearing show the update was under way.

No doubt some of the forum's gurus on this subject will be able to provide you with specific advice / guidance on how to get the update via SUSI cable working. In advance of this, I hope the above suggestions for using the non-SUSI method prove helpful.

Good luck.

Trebor

2 Aug 2018
Mid-west USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trebor

This sounds like the same problem I had when attempting to do firmware updates to XLS decoders using the SUSI cable from my PC module. Despite much helpful advice and many constructive suggestions from folk on this forum, I could never get it to work. I have therefore stuck with the slower, but in my case more reliable, method of connecting the decoder to the PC module via a couple of cables and accepting it will take a while for the update to complete - I think firmware updates were about 15 mins and sound file updates about 25 mins.

If I remember correctly, I think I also get the "Reading No Data 117" message at the start of the update but then after several seconds the process kicks off and a series of messages like "Block 001 OK", "Block 002 OK" started appearing show the update was under way.

No doubt some of the forum's gurus on this subject will be able to provide you with specific advice / guidance on how to get the update via SUSI cable working. In advance of this, I hope the above suggestions for using the non-SUSI method prove helpful.

Good luck.

When you say “connecting the decoder to the PC module via a couple of cables”, what type of cables and where on the PC Module?

Trebor

2 Aug 2018
Mid-west USA
Best answers
Country flag
When you say “connecting the decoder to the PC module via a couple of cables”, what type of cables and where on the PC Module?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

There are four screw-terminal connections..
Two are for power, and two for a 'programming track'. - Though you can wire these directly into the screw terminals on your XLS..

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil - I'd gone to bed when Trebor asked his follow-up question and have only just surfaced from cleaning out an old greenhouse!

Trebor

2 Aug 2018
Mid-west USA
Best answers
Country flag
Folks, thank you for your advice. I will give a try today.