Paul Daniels could not have done this!!

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again
About eighteen months ago, I fitted an MRC decoder to an Aristocraft Alco A unit. It was connected to a matching B unit using a the A unit decoder (see G Scale Journal Spring 2011). It ran really well throughout last summer and I put it away for the winter. On getting it out this spring, I noticed that the current drawn had increased substantially and it did not seem very happy. I got round to looking at it today and split the A unit from the B unit. I was amazed to see that the A unit was hardly able to move alone and a quick check revealed that the bogies were driving in opposite directions!!!
A quick swap of the bogie direction saw them back in harmony and the current drawn was back to the previous level.
How can this happen?
Bill

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I guess you didn't think much to that?

'Not a Lot'....

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bill,
your choice of decoder. These are renowned for their inability to retain required CV settings.

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Re:paul Daniels could not have done this!!

Yes but

one bogie reversed?

Are eye

Bill

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

I blame Fred.;)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

If there's only one decoder driving both bogies then I don't see how one bogie would somehow reverse direction compared to the other, unless it managed to swivel 180 degrees on the chassis or was removed for servicing and incorrectly refited / rewired. Swivelling round seems unlikely if the bogies have truck mounted couplings? Also you'd get a short if one bogie was swivelled without also swapping the pickup wiring over. For one bogie to run backward the motor wiring would need to be reversed without having reversed the pickup wiring.

If you haven't had it apart then very curious!!