Oxidisation of solder joints

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Did someone say Kiwi's. The biggest word I know how to use is wheelbarrow, but all the same I have found this topic of interest. So you haven't been bleating for nothing, I have learnt something even if I can't use that interesting "I..." word :-(

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
spike said:
It's only soldering, how hard can it be. :D

Done many an outside joint with no problem.
Have soldered joints from tiny surface mount to hundreds of kilowatts, no problem.
Just do it right and you'll have a stress free life.

As to Scrabble......how much would you get for eutectic, liquidus and Capillary :happy:

Always trust your fellow man and woman for that matter, don't want to be considered a chovanist, to make the simplest task incredibly difficult.
Remember, It's not the work that's hard, it's people that make it hard:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Did someone call for a carnivorous Kiwi? :happy::thinking:

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Is it too late to retract my remarks about Kiwi's?? I know a Kiwi guy and he uses a barometer to tell how fast his barrow is moving...
Seriously I have the greatest respect for the Kiwi's. One saved my life once, carried me and all my kit about 5km so that I could be carted off in a chopper to hospital.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
spike said:
It's only soldering, how hard can it be. :D

Done many an outside joint with no problem.
Have soldered joints from tiny surface mount to hundreds of kilowatts, no problem.
Just do it right and you'll have a stress free life.

As to Scrabble......how much would you get for eutectic, liquidus and Capillary :happy:

Always trust your fellow man and woman for that matter, don't want to be considered a chovanist, to make the simplest task incredibly difficult.
Remember, It's not the work that's hard, it's people that make it hard:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Did someone call for a carnivorous Kiwi? :happy::thinking:

If you have a good teacher then your laughing.
Soldering is relatively easy if someone shows you how to properly.

On the other hand when I was shown how to splice cables you should have seen the mess, I never had enough practice and still cannot do a decent splice.
Lucky I don't need them at work now. :D
BTW
I'm no good at welding either :crying:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
spike said:
BTW
That's just practice and good guidance as well.

Ever tried splicing optic fibres?

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
bobg said:
spike said:
BTW

Not splicing but putting connectors on, polishing the ends etc.....My son assures me that fibre optics was in its infancy when I did a bit of it, these days its apparently an automated process, stick end of fibre into bizzo and it's stripped the connector put on and polished in 60 seconds....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
I used to Splice the Mainbrace:rofl::rofl:
The wife has just informed me that during war work she spliced CABLES!!
Difficult? I asked..."No..not if you are careful and know your job":rolleyes:
Subsequently became a fashion artist. (Useful for the figures I need painting).:rofl:
Yes Ross that's a woman for you, so adept at multitasking. It still beats me thou why if they can hold 27 conversations at once why they cant submit to marital relations during a headache.....

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
It's because WE ask 'em to marry US - and from then on, THEY know THEY have the bargaining power and any bloke that values peace and quiet let's them get on with it.
The old adage..keep them poorly shod and well -------, they will not stray far- does not apply today:rofl::rofl:
Now I know why you have that avatar Ross.....

Looks like your always ready to make a run for it :clap::D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Is it too late to retract my remarks about Kiwi's?? I know a Kiwi guy and he uses a barometer to tell how fast his barrow is moving...
Seriously I have the greatest respect for the Kiwi's. One saved my life once, carried me and all my kit about 5km so that I could be carted off in a chopper to hospital.

AH, we must be speking of two different brands of Kiwi. I am only familiar with the one that cannot fly. :happy::happy:

DVRR

Registered
28 Feb 2011
Diggle, Saddleworth.
Best answers
Thanks to everyone, very helpful, now got a plan distilled from all the input, my requirements and resources available to me.
Happy New Year to one and all!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
tramcar trev said:
bobg said:
spike said:
BTW

Not splicing but putting connectors on, polishing the ends etc.....My son assures me that fibre optics was in its infancy when I did a bit of it, these days its apparently an automated process, stick end of fibre into bizzo and it's stripped the connector put on and polished in 60 seconds....

I hate to say this, as I actually had to teach it, but splicing o/fibres was so easy in my day you could show monkeys how to. The hardest part was cleaving the end of the fibre, but as you stuck it in the splicer machine if it was no good you could see, so you did it again. After that, the machine took over. I believe things are even easier now, as the machine also checks the quality of the splice when it's finished and either accepts or rejects it.