trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Did a tiny bit of work on the trestles - the three strips of treated wood were placed in position and nailed. I used the electric nail gun as it was smaller than using a battery drill and screws (shrubs and vegitation in the way) ......

DSCF0931.JPG

You might also notice a different material in the bottom left of the above pic. It's a strip of plastic rainwater pipe left over from capping the top of the new hayshed doors. I did mix some paint to match the shade of the treated wood. Although I nailed the plastic on, I think it might be better screwed into position. That will not be today - raining nearly all day I think! Also, the top timber on the left needs some remedial action!

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I keep doing odd little bits of work on the trestles .....

DSCF0933.JPG
The horizontal timbers are now all in place on the section that replaced the bridge.

DSCF0938.JPG
This is how I get to drill holes in tight, shrub lined, spaces - a right-angled drive with its' own chuck. The solar light is now past its' sell-by date too! Maybe the solar panel can be rescued?

Also, work continues in the trailer preparing for the next show. This Aristo loco had a lttle problem ......
DSCF0935.JPG

....... and now fixed with superglue for the time being. I was going to drill the offending break and insert a fine steel pin (cut to length) to strengthen the joint) but didn't! If it breaks again that is what I will do!

DSCF0937.JPG

The dips and bends in the above pics are purely due to my (lack of) photographic skills!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Quite often those solar things have used steel based for the internal wiring. Guess what it rusts outside, what a surprise for so called garden lights. But at the usual prices sometimes as cheap as .99p Imguess that is all we can expect. Still worth opening up, the bottom bit tends to be push in so a gentle attack with a small screwdriver should prize the thing open. Sometimes the battery is shot sometimes an unsoldered wire so you may be lucky. Repaired one at my friends house yesterday, a wire had come off the board.

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Quite often those solar things have used steel based for the internal wiring. Guess what it rusts outside, what a surprise for so called garden lights. But at the usual prices sometimes as cheap as .99p Imguess that is all we can expect. Still worth opening up, the bottom bit tends to be push in so a gentle attack with a small screwdriver should prize the thing open. Sometimes the battery is shot sometimes an unsoldered wire so you may be lucky. Repaired one at my friends house yesterday, a wire had come off the board.
The leads on the led are cheap iron wire and rust quite well. If you get a replacement, paint the inside electrics with nail varnish (or equivalent). insulates from moisture. If battery is in a holder, not soldered wires, put a dab of solder on all the contacts, these rust as well.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The leads on the led are cheap iron wire and rust quite well. If you get a replacement, paint the inside electrics with nail varnish (or equivalent). insulates from moisture. If battery is in a holder, not soldered wires, put a dab of solder on all the contacts, these rust as well.
I've never had any that have asked for more than a couple of years

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've never had any that have asked for more than a couple of years
Sounds about right. Sometimes you get them with aaa batteries, a replacement NiMh rechargeable of this can with luck bring life back. Though a bigger sized Mwh can take longer to charge with the limited circuitry but last longer.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I've never had any that have lasted for more than a couple of years
Yup. But I buy mine from the dollar store, so what can I expect? The solar panels seem to film over as well; I've tried cleaning a couple, but no joy.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It's the short arms and deep pockets syndrome that I suffer from!

Well, I got the track cleaned and tested a loco (the one above in Post 1302). A little erratic in picking up power, so it's consigned to the shed awaiting my attention. Tested another train and the there was no problem with conductivety.

So, here's how I do things (just a few pics!) when the big box is confined to the barn ......

Cleaning the track, etc. (2).JPG
After 14 years, I finally got round to making something that would stop the Jockey wheel swivelling when parked up without the handbrake on! The trailer is effectively a single axle type and is easy to move with the handbrake off. If I have it in the drive, I chock the wheels but, in the hay shed I don't bother!

The other essential piece of equipment is the wooden crate made from recycled wood. I made it so I could stand on it to bray fence posts in but, in this case, I use it to reach into either end of the trailer to try and reach parts of the layout than cannot be reached from the inside .....
Cleaning the track, etc. (3).JPG
You can just see a paint bucket lid that used to rest the jockey wheel on to stop it sinking in the turf debris!

Next is my cleaning tool ........
Cleaning the track, etc. (1).JPG
Yes, its a hand sander with a wet wipe ........
Cleaning the track, etc. (11).JPG
Dead cheap (joy of joys!) and effective both for track and loco wheels .......
Cleaning the track, etc. (7).JPG
The offending Aristo loco - a cat food pouch box supports most of my locos!

And, the results of the first bit of track cleaning ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (4).JPG

More pics and explanations to follow (when I get a minute - or two!).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Continuation .......

So, to get to the track that cannot be easily reached from the inside, I have to open the shutters ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (5).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (6).JPG
The back-end and back side shutters will only open so far because the goat's stable and hay loft are in the way. Still, I stilll get in to do things!

Looking down the length of the trailer's offside, it does look long! ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (12).JPG

Now a look inside (train/track testing time!) ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (16).JPG
Camera (or operator) on the wrong setting!

A little bit better ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (15).JPG

and just some general pics from yesterday ......
Cleaning the track, etc. (8).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (9).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (10).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (13).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (14).JPG

Cleaning the track, etc. (18).JPG
Cleaning the track, etc. (21).JPG

And all's packed away. I just use a couple of bungees and some baler twine to keep the stuff packed at the side in position. Battery charger has been left in in case I need to charge up the other two batteries.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It must be a great thing to see in action, I've never seen a layout set-up like that. Usually show railways are just set on trestles

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So I took a few pictures yesterday before I carried out some weeding duties ......

Weeding 18.05.22 (2).JPG

Weeding 18.05.22 (4).JPG

Weeding 18.05.22 (3).JPG

Weeding 18.05.22 (5).JPG

...... and after!
Weeding 18.05.22 (9).JPG

Weeding 18.05.22 (8).JPG

I may (the emphasis is on the word may!) run a train today if the dampness changes to dryness! Meanwhile, I've got to order a load of LPG. I'm bracing myself for the invoice (that's if they deliver!). :banghead:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So you are looking for something like these? Three complete ones (though two have over-paint) and one with one fixing broken (and over-painted). All are plastic . . .

View attachment 298164

. . . and (if Jimmy can't find his) while I'm going through the "bits box" how about these off some dismembered Bachmann coaches? (both plastic) . . .

View attachment 298165

All available gratis. Not sure how easy postage to Ireland is these days, but I'm sure we can sort something out. Start a conversation if you are interested.

Best wishes

DavId

I would just like to say thank you to David for sending me the brake wheels and hand rails gratis to me! After I've finished my current little sort out, I'll get on with the coach job and post a pic or two of the results!

Thank you once again David - and also thank you to JimmyB for his kind offer.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF0986.JPG

DSCF0988.JPG

So after testing the loco in the trailer (more on that in a minute), I turned my attention to the coach. I used an empty ball pen ink tube to provide a couple of pieces to fit the upturned wheel bosses and then mounted them on the spindles. A droplet of superglue secured things. The old broken handrail was difficult to extract as it left the flanges stuck in the coach. Anyway, once they were out of way (three little bits drifting inside the coach), Mr Super Glue, kindly helped with the fitting of the new one. Apart from maybe painting things to match the new balcony railings, and fitting safety chains - although Mr Bach Mann didn't - I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Now for the loco! As pictured in post 1301, it seemed OK when I tested it in the garden. However, at the the last show, it started playing up. It had to be withdrawn from service until I gave it a good dose of looking at today. Nothing wrong with motor, the motion, or the drive (worm & wheel), or even the electrical pick-ups, so I put it back together and placed it on the garden line.

If there had to be a race between the loco and a snail, the latter would have beat it. I didn't scratch my head because I didn't want splinters in my fingers! Anyway, I picked it up and looked underneath again. Then it dawned on me! Everything had happened since I switched the smoke unit on - was there a short in that? Whatever, I turned it off, put in back on the track and away it galloped - yes it would have won the Pontefract races!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Galloping round the garden weed bed ......
DSCF0976.JPG

and enjoying the same in the trailer (and earning its' keep!) ......
DSCF0980.JPG
So, a switch in time saves mine!

Back to weeding now (and some topiary work) - in the garden of course!

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just catching up on this thread. Reassuring to see that weeds are just as rampant across the Irish Sea as they are here. The trailer layout seems to be surviving well. How old is it now?

Rik

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik - first built in the spring of 2008, then lengthened in 2013 and a new roof fitted (Aluminium over ply instead of just ply!) to make life easier:)

As for weeds - bane of my life! They seem to multiply faster than jobs that need doing. I pulled out one Dandelion and was amazed at its' length (not including the root);-

DSCF0989.JPGDSCF0990.JPG
...... and, of course, it's spawned yet more of it's genre!

So, now I have to control the shrubbery by manicuring overgrowth and the like, plus the stream needs new gravel (it's amazing how nature makes its' own soil to nurture the unwanted!).

DSCF0991.JPG
The stream after I pulled out the unwanteds.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik - first built in the spring of 2008, then lengthened in 2013 and a new roof fitted (Aluminium over ply instead of just ply!) to make life easier:)

As for weeds - bane of my life! They seem to multiply faster than jobs that need doing. I pulled out one Dandelion and was amazed at its' length (not including the root);-

View attachment 299112View attachment 299113
...... and, of course, it's spawned yet more of it's genre!

So, now I have to control the shrubbery by manicuring overgrowth and the like, plus the stream needs new gravel (it's amazing how nature makes its' own soil to nurture the unwanted!).

View attachment 299114
The stream after I pulled out the unwanteds.
Trick with dandelions is to pull out as much of them just as they are flowering. You cannot let this go. Then they work hard again to flower cos they want to reproduce. Keep doing the same thing and they get so tired that they give up. I have eradicated almost all dandies from 2 lawns in 2 houses this way. Any new ones you get are likely to be seeds that have arrived naturally through birds or on the wind.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Dandilions, the wed I hate most in my garden, I have one of those weed removers, that take a lump of soil with the tap root, the more root you get the less likely the return, however when entrenched in concrete, then its weed killer, and sod the repercussions :)