Ox Mountain Railway

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't been looking at a lot on the forum recently but just seen your projects...great as always...

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like we have a lot of interesting posts to look forward to.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, I have just read through your posts on building your railway. I thought they were new postings until I happened to look at the date, 2011 ! I don't recall seeing those shots, but then again, I don't recall alot of things. Your answer to the person asking to see more of your line was that the photos may be boring. They're anything but. I'm glad the computer went to the first page of your ongoing thread.

As I read through your posts, I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread asking for members to post historical photos of their lines. I may do that later tonight.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, I have just read through your posts on building your railway. I thought they were new postings until I happened to look at the date, 2011 ! I don't recall seeing those shots, but then again, I don't recall alot of things. Your answer to the person asking to see more of your line was that the photos may be boring. They're anything but. I'm glad the computer went to the first page of your ongoing thread.

As I read through your posts, I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread asking for members to post historical photos of their lines. I may do that later tonight.

Thank you for your generous comments Dan.

Well it's nearly three weeks since I posted on this thread. Not a lot as happened apart from I made an external flue pipe for the hearth, and an anvil. I've also ordered an electric welder LED thingy which will give an impression of someone arc welding.

But I have been out to shows with the trailer plus doing other things.

Having weeded the railway, I decided to fix a tiny problem on a BH. I converted the tender to 8-wheel pick-up some time ago but the plug-in lead from the tender lost its' plug! So after sitting in a box for many a month, I fitted a new plug and socket to tender and loco. Then I had to sort out a drooping knuckle coupling on a coach, then it was testing time.

The BH ran smoothly despite eleven years of R1's (which is why I had to convert the tender!).
27.7.17. BH back on track (1).JPG
27.7.17. BH back on track (5).JPG
and the offending coach which decided to act as a slip.

27.7.17. BH back on track (6).JPG
It came without the drumhead cover - this was sent separately and I received a nice envelope with a physical impression of the cover in the paper but no contents!

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've been busy fitting metal wheels to more of my rolling stock. On the trailer layout with all its' R1's, plastic wheels can be a nuisance as they are so light that the trucks bounce on points and sometimes derail.

I've been buying metal wheels (new or S/H) for some considerable time now and still need more! I've used 26 metal wheelsets this morning - three coaches, three freight cars, and one 2-axle truck. So with appropiate loco, I just had to test out the three coaches!
Testing coach stock.JPG

Testing coach stock (5).JPG

Testing coach stock (3).JPG

So, two more locos, six coaches, and four items of freight stock will rejoin the trailer's stock list.

August will see me at six different venues over the month. Next stock overhaul will see Thomas and Co out in the garden because I've had a specific request for them! Well somebody's got to do it:banghead:

Reactions: 3 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday was a mod, bash, and tidy up day (plus a test of course). A short logging train to run in the trailer - all bashed or modified.

My three into one Heisler (Bachmann & 2 Playmobil locos donated bits), two Newquida bashed gondolas, and one Bachmann bashed caboose made up the train. Since the pics were taken, the loco has been tidied up and pilot boards replaced.

Totally bashed train (1).JPG
Totally bashed train (2).JPG
Totally bashed train (4).JPG
Totally bashed train (10).JPG
Now it's all boxed up ready to bung in the car later tomorrow!

Reactions: 3 users

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trammayo , im new to this forum but thought i would say hello after I just had a look through your posts here, was drawn in by your forum name as Mayo is my favorite county in that great green island of yours, My mother in law is from just outside Charlestown in a place called Glann. It was great to see your "cow shed" in the background just like my wife's Grand parents place.

My first endevour to bash a new model just happens to be a Tram, Im converting a Hamburg tram (lgb) into a Great Orme tram re hash, it will be far from accurate but will look different i hope and something more local to the British isles.

take care, Richard

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trammayo , im new to this forum but thought i would say hello after I just had a look through your posts here, was drawn in by your forum name as Mayo is my favorite county in that great green island of yours, My mother in law is from just outside Charlestown in a place called Glann. It was great to see your "cow shed" in the background just like my wife's Grand parents place.

My first endevour to bash a new model just happens to be a Tram, Im converting a Hamburg tram (lgb) into a Great Orme tram re hash, it will be far from accurate but will look different i hope and something more local to the British isles.

take care, Richard

Hi Richard - welcome! We live about 17 miles from Charlestown. We are Yorkshire folk abroad - 'blow-ins' as they say here!. Mayo is a great county, with great people and we love it!

And the Great Orme Tramway is also one of my favourites in the funicular world - so I look forward to you posting progress on your tram conversion!

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richard - welcome! We live about 17 miles from Charlestown. We are Yorkshire folk abroad - 'blow-ins' as they say here!. Mayo is a great county, with great people and we love it!

And the Great Orme Tramway is also one of my favourites in the funicular world - so I look forward to you posting progress on your tram conversion!

Hi Mick, Then you have done what i would like to do (jealous !!) , retire to Mayo, but 20 or so years still to go for me im afraid !! im now even a Mayo Gaa fan (good win yesterday) all due to my excellent mother in law. Somewhere near Croagh Patrick would do me nice at that mountain has something special going on !

Gota say i love the bit in your garden that goes through the fence towards the steam on a loop and back !

RE Orme Tram, Decals went onto the sides yesterday so for the first time it looked kinda similar, it will only have one set of bogies where as the real thing has two and is much longer but hope it kind represents it. I will afford you a world exclusive peak !

IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Oooh, had to look up the definition of funicular for that one, had always thought of it as a cable car due to the comparatively shallow gradients compared to cliff railways.

And you are correct, Mick, it is a funicular - well two of 'em actually :devil::devil:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick, Then you have done what i would like to do (jealous !!) , retire to Mayo, but 20 or so years still to go for me im afraid !! im now even a Mayo Gaa fan (good win yesterday) all due to my excellent mother in law. Somewhere near Croagh Patrick would do me nice at that mountain has something special going on !

Gota say i love the bit in your garden that goes through the fence towards the steam on a loop and back !

RE Orme Tram, Decals went onto the sides yesterday so for the first time it looked kinda similar, it will only have one set of bogies where as the real thing has two and is much longer but hope it kind represents it. I will afford you a world exclusive peak !

View attachment 226146 View attachment 226147

Like your decals and livery - both look true to form!.

I couldn't climb Croagh Patrick these days - but I used to attend the Murrisk Patten (or Pattern) Day there in the car park!

My trailer layout is behind the grey Ferguson tractor.
Murrisk Pattern Day (8).JPG

I heard the results over the PA system at Bonniconlon Show yesterday!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I thought I had a plan - and of course, we all know what thought did!

The vinyl pics I printed and mounted on the trailer, had become bleached out due to the weather and the fact that I used an Inkjet printer.

As was (not much over a year ago!) ....
April 9 2016 Signage.JPG
.... and how they were yesterday before I removed them!
DSCF9166.JPG
I seemed to have misplaced all the photos I took yesterday but the gist of it is this - it took three hours to remove the old vinyls and after I had done that and washed the panels with soap and water, my thoughts turned to my supposed plan!

I thought that, if I used magnetic vinyls I could take them off when the trailer was not in use. Now the panels are plywood and magnets need ferous based metal to attach to. So, to me magnetic self-adhesive tape was the answer!

Smart thinking I thought. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!. When I tried the plan out, the tape and the vinyls were repelled! Doh:banghead:.

So I had to resort to how I did it in 2016!

New, inkjet vinyls are on the trailer and varnished. Maybe a pic later!

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I thought I had a plan - and of course, we all know what thought did!

The vinyl pics I printed and mounted on the trailer, had become bleached out due to the weather and the fact that I used an Inkjet printer.

As was (not much over a year ago!) ....
View attachment 227235
.... and how they were yesterday before I removed them!
View attachment 227236
I seemed to have misplaced all the photos I took yesterday but the gist of it is this - it took three hours to remove the old vinyls and after I had done that and washed the panels with soap and water, my thoughts turned to my supposed plan!

I thought that, if I used magnetic vinyls I could take them off when the trailer was not in use. Now the panels are plywood and magnets need ferous based metal to attach to. So, to me magnetic self-adhesive tape was the answer!

Smart thinking I thought. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!. When I tried the plan out, the tape and the vinyls were repelled! Doh:banghead:.

So I had to resort to how I did it in 2016!

New, inkjet vinyls are on the trailer and varnished. Maybe a pic later!

Hi Mick, im guessing you do this for Charity/fun ??????? if so would be happy to donate some outdoor grade 3-5 year vinyl prints to you ??? message me

Richard

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick, im guessing you do this for Charity/fun ??????? if so would be happy to donate some outdoor grade 3-5 year vinyl prints to you ??? message me

Richard

That's a nice gesture Richard. In the main, I get invited to Agri & Vintage shows. Whilst I don't get paid for going, I do get - and ask for - my expenses! The capital spent is mine, whilst the expenses cover the extra cost of towing, maintenance etc.

However, I'm not so sure (after this morning's discovery) that I'm doing the right thing applying vinyls ....

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well I had to make another visit to the quack's this morning. Up to 09.30, I had only observed the near-side of the trailer but, as I opened the gates, I was horrified to see the prints had bubbled up and peeling at the edges. A close inspection, and a pull to see if they would peel off to be restuck again resulted in tearing!

Vinyls (1).JPG
When I came back, I had the task of stripping them off. Although I used a good quality scraper, I did take some paint off.

Vinyls (2).JPG

I had to peel off the top layer so I could get the thinners to soak in to soften the adhesive. It all became a sticky mess.

Vinyls (4).JPG

The scratched paintwork ...

Vinyls (3).JPG

The ones on the nearside are fine and the only difference between the two sides was the sun shining on the offside. It was quite hot - maybe this caused the stickers to expand post applying? They were rubbed on thoroughly using the the peel off paper as an intermediary between my hands and the sticker.

So now I've got to touch up the paintwork. SWMBO says why don't I signwrite a loco (like I did with the trailer ends). Sounds like a plan!

Completed.JPG
That's the trailer as first built in 2008.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, I would 'talk' to Richard about the vinyls he can do..

I have some samples, and was very impressed..

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Richard

Conversation started!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Usual high humidity (110%) here in Mayo but, what the heck, I dodged some of it yesterday when I took a look at the trestle I damaged a a few weeks ago. The side swipe (from my trailer) had really knocked it out of kilter .....

Wrestle with a trestle (1).JPG

The track wasn't damaged but the trestle had suffered, not just from the knock it received, but from rot.

As this bodge is only a temporary measure, I elected to pull things towards their original position nearer the drive. To stop the woodwork returning to a lean, I brayed in some scrap timber to hold it. You can just make out three pieces - two on the railway side and one on the inside of the trestle.
Wrestle with a trestle (2).JPG
I also took a pic of the rotten side of this wrought timber ...

Wrestle with a trestle (3).JPG
Sorry it's on its' side - tried to edit but it only seems to want to lie on its' side:banghead:

But that was the end of yesterday's little bit of activity as I had to gather in my tools and retire to a cuppa and observe the rain through the window.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Today (well this morning) looked more promising. I carried out some more bodging using whatever would hold a screw or two....
Wrestle with a trestle (6).JPG

All the damage appears to be on the inside of the curve but appearances can be deceptive...

Wrestle with a trestle (4).JPG

The dry patch was covered by the car (before I moved it and the rains came). The grot is hidden from view but here it is..
Wrestle with a trestle (7).JPG

I put some cross members in to support the track before rain, again, stopped play. I was going to test a train but I thought better of it. The wood was painted white and, if ever we have a dry day, I'm going to repaint it.

This morning, on seeing that Stockers had added a new supplier to the list, I took a good look at their site and saw the ideal plastic for rebuilding. On mentioning that to SWMBO, she countered with "Wouldn't it be better in stone?". Now in the Rethink Dept.

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
'Breyed', not a term I am particularly familiar with. I thought it was a South African word and nothing to do with wood!.