Overhead wiring completed at Brockett’s Bridge

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
A four hour session up in the loft this afternoon saw the completion of the overhead electrification of Brockett’s Bridge station…please ignore the Green River and other signs you might be able to see on the station buildings, I haven’t got around to changing them yet. Still loads more to do, the next section is the dual track over the bridge(s) and the town section, which the line cunningly almost by-passes before it turns to the depot and the line out of the layout.

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_7822.jpeg
    IMG_7822.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7821.jpeg
    IMG_7821.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7820.jpeg
    IMG_7820.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7818.jpeg
    IMG_7818.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7817.jpeg
    IMG_7817.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A four hour session up in the loft this afternoon saw the completion of the overhead electrification of Brockett’s Bridge station…please ignore the Green River and other signs you might be able to see on the station buildings, I haven’t got around to changing them yet. Still loads more to do, the next section is the dual track over the bridge(s) and the town section, which the line cunningly almost by-passes before it turns to the depot and the line out of the layout.

Cheers

Martin
Can pretty well make out the track plan for this section, what about the next do you have a plan in thought? Is there to be a track heading to the car barn next to the NO car?

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can pretty well make out the track plan for this section, what about the next do you have a plan in thought? Is there to be a track heading to the car barn next to the NO car?
I did think about having a track leading into the building next to the NO car, but it’s still under debate. It’s already looking a bit cluttered, although the plan works exceedingly well. The end where the NO car is is the end of the track. At the other end of the boards you can see, the track divides into two and swings around to the left where part of the town section will be. It crosses over the bridges that gave the town its name and then swings left again down to a car barn (very small two road with only one road covered) a siding with a goods depot on it and the track out of the layout. It’s all very jumbled up at this section with stuff I need to build the layout with, but the tracks, some buildings and locomotives are there. One day, if I make it to then and the classic Jaguar is moved from its garage, the whole layout will be transported down to the garage where there will be more space and it can be extendended…

In reality, the line terminates at Brockett’s Bridge, but it’s on a large Y so trains come in from Little Falls, disgorge their passengers and/or pick up new ones and take them further up the line towards Lake Mussentuchit, which is the end terminus of the line and is closed during the winter. Little Falls is heavily served by rail and has quite a bit of rail served industry. The line here was part of a forty mile long interurban line to Rome further up the Mohawk Valley, which has long since gone with only the Little Falls to Lake Mussentuchit section remaining.

Isn‘t it great to have a vivid imagination?

Cheers
Martin

Last edited:

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of pics of the depot/ car barn in the early PT (pre tram) days. This is on the other side of the layout. The track running alongside the green building is the main line in and out, and the fiddle yard area. That’s the full extent of the line.
Brockett’s Bridge (there are two of them running parallel to each other) and the road bridge is the next section to be worked on…

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6785.jpeg
    IMG_6785.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6813.jpeg
    IMG_6813.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6833.jpeg
    IMG_6833.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You've certainly made the most of a small space :clap: :clap:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of pics of the depot/ car barn in the early PT (pre tram) days. This is on the other side of the layout. The track running alongside the green building is the main line in and out, and the fiddle yard area. That’s the full extent of the line.
Brockett’s Bridge (there are two of them running parallel to each other) and the road bridge is the next section to be worked on…

Cheers

Martin
Your loft look much the same as mine in terms of space, only problem I have is a cross beam around 2/3 of the way down the loft making the last 1/3rd though usable but access via crawling under or scrambling over the beam. Work in the loft pretty well stopped as I got fed up with the bonding of every bit of track even though around 4/5ths done. Perhaps my heart was not in the loft railway!

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your loft look much the same as mine in terms of space, only problem I have is a cross beam around 2/3 of the way down the loft making the last 1/3rd though usable but access via crawling under or scrambling over the beam. Work in the loft pretty well stopped as I got fed up with the bonding of every bit of track even though around 4/5ths done. Perhaps my heart was not in the loft railway!
Yes, I have a cross member as well, but fortunately it’s two hefty pieces of wood that bolt to the floor and run to the roof at an angle making it quite easy to step over. A few years ago I did have a roundy round layout which meant I had to crawl under it…the years have not been kind and I simply got to the stage where I could no longer get up on the other side….

I would love to go outdoors, but our garden is an odd triangular shape and although I could probably manage an out and back run in total of about 40ft, there is no chance of getting planning permission for it. One day it will all go into the garage, if I’m still around by then, but for now, I’m quite content with the loft…which does become a bit of a challenge not to fit Clapham Junction into the space of a postage stamp!

Cheers

Martin

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I have a cross member as well, but fortunately it’s two hefty pieces of wood that bolt to the floor and run to the roof at an angle making it quite easy to step over. A few years ago I did have a roundy round layout which meant I had to crawl under it…the years have not been kind and I simply got to the stage where I could no longer get up on the other side….

I would love to go outdoors, but our garden is an odd triangular shape and although I could probably manage an out and back run in total of about 40ft, there is no chance of getting planning permission for it. One day it will all go into the garage, if I’m still around by then, but for now, I’m quite content with the loft…which does become a bit of a challenge not to fit Clapham Junction into the space of a postage stamp!

Cheers

Martin
Your pictures have skilfully missed out those cross members so far as I can see.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your pictures have skilfully missed out those cross members so far as I can see.
Hi Jon,
If you look to the left of the water tower, you will see the diagonal cross member cunningly disguised as a diagonal cross member. :D There is one on the other side as well. Pic 2 is slightly clearer.
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_7820.jpeg
    IMG_7820.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7535.jpeg
    IMG_7535.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 1

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like that beam could be the beginnings of a low level line. Just suggesting.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like that beam could be the beginnings of a low level line. Just suggesting.
Even better, if the line was Alpine based, it could be made into a funicular railway with a town below…Gulliver’s Travels anyone?