Operation of LGB level crossing

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LGB level crossing and the barrier on one side lags behind the other as it comes down. In fact, the other barrier is pretty well down and the loco across the crossing before the recalcitrant barrier really starts moving. Presumably operation of the barriers can be adjusted by altering the angle/height of the spring plates which go under the rails, but does anyone have experience of doing this, please?

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gordon,

These can be made to work relatively well, but the uneven nature of the lift and fall is a character of this sort of crossing in G, HO and probably other scales too.

I guess it is a case of trial and error?

At the Warley show the Model Electronic Railway Group had a wonderul set of motors and lights to go with barriers -the lifting and closing by servo and followed a real sequence, right down to the white calling-on light for the approaching train...

Awesome!

James

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Gordon,

These can be made to work relatively well, but the uneven nature of the lift and fall is a character of this sort of crossing in G, HO and probably other scales too.

I guess it is a case of trial and error?

At the Warley show the Model Electronic Railway Group had a wonderul set of motors and lights to go with barriers -the lifting and closing by servo and followed a real sequence, right down to the white calling-on light for the approaching train...

Awesome!

James
Thanks for that, James. I have since found the instructions on the web (although I'm sure I have some somewhere, too) and made some adjustments which have improve things, ior at least sometimes seem to have improved things.

My level crossing was bought secondhand and its operation probably isn't helped by the fact that the spring arms have been bent about by the previous owner(s). They also have plastic tape on the top to prevent them touching the rail. The tape seems to have been added as an afterthought by the previous owner, the instructions referring vaguely to not fitting the barrier "directly on the rail joints" to avoid short circuit. As at some point the spring plates must touch the rails, without some insulation short circuits seem inevitable.

Reactions: 1 user

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, James. I have since found the instructions on the web (although I'm sure I have some somewhere, too) and made some adjustments which have improve things, ior at least sometimes seem to have improved things.

My level crossing was bought secondhand and its operation probably isn't helped by the fact that the spring arms have been bent about by the previous owner(s). They also have plastic tape on the top to prevent them touching the rail. The tape seems to have been added as an afterthought by the previous owner, the instructions referring vaguely to not fitting the barrier "directly on the rail joints" to avoid short circuit. As at some point the spring plates must touch the rails, without some insulation short circuits seem inevitable.

Good to hear that Gordon,

I have a couple of HO ones by Life-Like, which simply do thier own sweet thing... HO stock of course lacks the mass of G Scale, so very often the barriers rise as the train is still crossing!

I recall the warnings about avoiding using the springs on your crossing at joints too. Given the unreliability or complexity of automatic crossing gates, I shall stick to lights and bells for my slot car crossings......although that Marx HO Road Rail combination set that I bought when we worked together in Biggleswade has working barriers. I just have not had the time or courage to try to get it working

James

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
I have a question about the 5065. Someone is selling one but it doesn’t have the 3 planks that sit on the crossing gate to activate the gates. Are these necessary and if so where can I find these planks?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a question about the 5065. Someone is selling one but it doesn’t have the 3 planks that sit on the crossing gate to activate the gates. Are these necessary and if so where can I find these planks?

No, they are just decorative. The crossing operations through pressure on the two U springs.

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
Where can I find an operating manual or instruction sheet for this crossing gate?

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
Of all the crossing gates which one is the most reliable? I want to use it outside and one that is operational.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the one that works on the weight of the train closing the barriers?

If so I have just brought a second hand one, from the 'Sparesman'. Mine works well enough and I have the original instructions too....