Old radio controlled Bachmann 4-6-0 not working

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got a Bachmann radio controlled 4-6-0 from ebay cheap as a non working item to perhaps fix up for the grand daughter to play with (it has plastic wheels etc so would be great for a littl'un).
I have put it back together and when the power is switched on (on the loco) the wheels turn for about 3/4 turn and then nothing, turn power off and then back on and there is another 3/4 turn etc. The headlight comes on and stays on whilst the power is switched on. I expect that the motor is doing the 3/4 turn as an indicator that it is powered but is then waiting for a signal from the handset via the onboard receiver.
Checked all batteries.
Not sure if the radio control receiver in the loco or the hand-set transmitter is working or not (the hand-set led shines red when it is switched on) and whether it is emittingor receiving a signal or not. The system works on 49mhz.

Has anyone experience of this model of Bachmann radio controlled loco or does anyone know how I can test whether it is the loco receiver or the handset transmitter that is playing up. As it is on 49 mhz, I can't use any 27mhz stuff to test it

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, have you checked the quartering isn't out?

Might be jamming up the motion....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Old radio controlled Bachmann 4-6-0 not working

As Gizzy says, it could be jamming up. They don't need the controller to run - just move the rear power switch down and away it goes (out of control - useful if it gets out of range in some respects). You need to switch the control on before switching on the loco's power if wanting remote - range around 30ft BTW.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Hi guys
The quartering of the plastic wheels is fine and I can turn the drive axle without the "jam' of a missing or stripped cog causing problems. The drive axle just turns about 3/4 revolution every time the power switch is switched on and off but there is no 'jamming' at all.
I am beginning to think that maybe a capacitor has gone in the motor power circuit and is only functioning for a short time with each 'burst' of power.
I have tried with the transmitter on first and second after the loco but still no joy.
It was a long shot and the seller did say that it didn't work. It was just a thought that I might be able to fix it and havs a 'real' train for the granddaughter to chug around some plastic track before she moves onto the metal stuff.
So looks like I will just be using it for 'body' spares (I needed a coal load to replace a wood one on an Annie anyway!)

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag

Have you considered just feeding the motor directly?

If you dab the motor terminals with 2 wires it the motor should then spin the wheels happily if everything is good with the drive train

Plus this way should find out if its the chassis or rc gear at fault