Old "New Bright" brand compatibility?

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
When I was growing up I had a few "toy" G scale sets from a brand called New Bright.

I see their cars are quite inexpensive on Ebay, but are they compatible with other brands that have hook-and-loop couplers?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure, but it shouldn't be too much of a job to change the couplings

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can’t remember about the height of the New Bright Couplings but if the same as LGB should be sort of compatible. But and a big but the size in terms of height and width is noticeably smaller than LGB.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Everything about new bright is smaller than G scale. They run on G scale track, but they otherwise seem like a smaller scale to me. Their wheels are smaller. If they had people they would be much smaller. Some of them have nice bells and whistles, but they are a cheap chinese toy grade in my opinion. A lot of the cheap chinese toy trains use their own style of couplers incompatible with the more serious brands. Scientific trains are probably just as cheap as new bright but are closer in size to better brands. New bright may be the smallest of the supposedly G scale trains. Eztec and Echo trains are much larger than newbright but also smaller than scientific. And scientific is a bit smaller than playmobil, LGB, Bachmann, etc. I have a bunch of new bright stuff I want to get rid of. Don't even think about running newbright together with LGB; if you do you might as well get N scale to work on HO track and run N scale with HO.

Last edited:

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
Too bad, I was hoping I could haul nostalgic stock behind a modern locomotive.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
By the time you upgrade them with better wheels, and other fooling around, it might be the same cost as buying quality stuff used. They use REALLY cheap plastic that can fall apart. (steeling myself from the next post by someone that has a 100 year old New Bright that works just fine) ;)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good for young kids to play with though, if you want to save your pride and Joy's from little mitts

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about New Bright, but some 20 years ago when my lad was just a little'un we had some cheap G sets appear in our local Lidl store for £25. By Scientific Trains I think. Battery powered loco/lender plus a couple of 4 wheel trucks. I remember the couplings were hook and loop style but the opposite way up to LGB, ie. with the hook above the bar (similar to Triang/Hornby OO). Very cheap and cheerful but it worked for a while. After a few years I did fit LGB hook/loops to make the trucks compatible, but they were little used as by then we had Playmobil and Toytrain items for the youngster to play with.
I don't think I have the trucks or tender any longer, though they may still be in the back of a cupboard. I know the loco is long gone.

P7070004.JPG