Old Moguls

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
kimbrit said:
I have 3 moguls left to chip and this morning I received an LGB 55027 chip from Jeremy with the intention of chipping one of the C&S moguls. When I stripped it down I found that it was one of the older types, in fact I found a celebration sticker for 25 years from '68-'93 on it - just never noticed it before. I know the other C&S mogul is also of the older type but luckily the third is of the newer type and was duly chipped. This now leaves me with the bulk of my C&S motive power stuck on analogue, I suspect it can be chipped with a cable joint here and a solder joint there after the plug is removed from the 55027 chip. Does anyone have an idiots guide of the connections that I can nick off them please? literally, red wire on chip to black wire on.........etc etc.
Cheers,
Kim
Ask Mike :admire:

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Depends exactly which Mogul you're wanting to chip?

In any event, it is likely that the MTS 3 decoder is not a 'plug and play' solution for older loco's!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
call in for a brew kim .. the wireings quite simple relally, page 12..
f1
f2
back light
motor-
track-
track+
motor+
front light
decoda -
decoda +

ignoiure decoda-
all lights work on common feed, so wire all the front lights to gether, and take 1 wire to front lights, 1 to decoda +
wire all back lights to gether, and take a wire to back lights, and decoda +
if stuck, call in;)

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
How is the head Mike?:mad:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
bit thick to be honest, got 2/3rds off a bottle of j.ds st5areing at me.. and im not saure if its a good thing

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
If you decide to discard the sound boards, I could suggest a new home ;)

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
kimbrit said:
mind you I bet Zman on a hill in Morley looking over Leeds will get to you just fine!!:D
Usually does :happy:

Ta very muchly, PM sent!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Chaps,

I also have an old mogul into which I want to add sound. This mogul used to have the same two huge analog sound boards in the tender referred to above.

I am planning on using a sound decoder in the main body of the loco (actually a Lenz Gold Maxi with Dietz microXS connected to the SUSI interface). Then I will use two of the redundant three 'chuff sensor' wires in the tender connector to connect to the speaker in the tender.

The cost of this is about 96 Euro for the Dietz sound and new speaker (the loco is already equipped with the Lenz decoder). It could have been cheaper if I had decided to reuse the original speaker.

This is a job I'm planning on doing during the Christmas holidays.