OK look.....

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
....I have been looking for a 3D printer up to 500 quid for a while. I am still no clearer about which one to get.

(well alright one or two are beginning to figure in my thinking)

Any simple one liner pros and cons for printers out there available in the UK?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just bought a Creality Ender 3 V2 works quite well, I did struggle with the bed levelling but have now figured it out.

Creality Ender CR6 SE is an up-scaled version with auto bed levelling was my other consideration.

Reactions: 1 user

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
....I have been looking for a 3D printer up to 500 quid for a while. I am still no clearer about which one to get.

(well alright one or two are beginning to figure in my thinking)

Any simple one liner pros and cons for printers out there available in the UK?
I suggest that you could go for any printer which:
Handles ABS or PLA materials​
Has 0.1mm or better precision​
Has a fully enclosed box​
Has a print area of at least 120mm x 120mm x 120mm​
Regards​
Peter Lucas​
MyLocoSound​

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think that sounds like a good set of general specifications, from Peter?

I think an enclosure is a good idea, as I suspect many printers could end up in a shed/workshop /garage, and left to run overnight (possibly?)..
An enclosure, will help to keep the printing 'volume' more-stable for temperature. - Possibly, less print failures?

PhilP

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
I think that sounds like a good set of general specifications, from Peter?

I think an enclosure is a good idea, as I suspect many printers could end up in a shed/workshop /garage, and left to run overnight (possibly?)..
An enclosure, will help to keep the printing 'volume' more-stable for temperature. - Possibly, less print failures?

PhilP

OK thanks very much both. That leads me towards the Flashforge range. Hmmmm

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have a flashforge adventure 3 - nice machine. I've printed lots of bits - gears, bogies and, recently, 160 LGB copy link and pin couplings. No complaints.

Geoff

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My lad's said he'd like to get a resin (rather than filament) 3D printer so it sounds like I'll have to stump up for most of the cost :) There seem to be several similar looking models sold under different brands. Elegoo seems to be a well known and well thought of brand so I guess it's a choice of whether we go for a Mars or maybe spend a bit more for a larger print plate Saturn. Not sure, still looking into it maybe as a bundle with a wash and cure unit.

• Haha

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
My lad's said he'd like to get a resin (rather than filament) 3D printer so it sounds like I'll have to stump up for most of the cost :) There seem to be several similar looking models sold under different brands. Elegoo seems to be a well known and well thought of brand so I guess it's a choice of whether we go for a Mars or maybe spend a bit more for a larger print plate Saturn. Not sure, still looking into it maybe as a bundle with a wash and cure unit.

ohh I'm no where near that sort of thinking yet! :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
I suppose it really depends on what you want to use it for.

If you're planning to print out rolling stock and buildings for G Scale then it's a good idea to go for something with a large print bed - say 300 X 300.x 400 However, if You want smaller high precision prints, then a resin printer 120 X 80 X 160 would be better.

Rik

PS - Or maybe with a budget of 500GBP by shopping around then you might just be able to get both .......

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Or you can spend a lot of $$ and get a big resin printer!

(Phrozen sonic mega 8k)

MEGA-1400x1600-1_abfd34f5-b6dd-4cb1-848c-9f22baa6e6ca_1400x.png

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
John,

I have used a Flashforge Adventurer 3 for over a year with no problems. Works well.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
After some research and comperisment of a lot of 3d printers the Creality Ender 5plus was suited the best for me.
Incl safety and the bed levelling device.
The bonus point for me was the surface area.
To make this one 2x as big is also a no brainier.(50cmx100cm)

The temperature range is a bit more extended than most.
Basically this is a fool proof, nice and easy ready to go printer.

Di spite the large building area, question yourself first if you need it this big, if the answer is yes, go for it and leave the 10 series alone.
If no, go for a smaller Ender.
I had prints running for 6 days

If you go for a big one, in time you want to have a smaller one extra.
If you want to print a thingy of 5x5 cm it is a waste of time to start up "the beast".

Pla is nice to get started, but abs is better for outside and hot attics.

Next level is resin printers, they are almost heaven, but will put you thru hell first

Hope this was helpful, my two cents,
With best regards Igor.

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

I have the Finder and the Adventurer 3 printers - I've churned out crates of wargamming terrain using these.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My lad's said he'd like to get a resin (rather than filament) 3D printer so it sounds like I'll have to stump up for most of the cost :)
I stopped procrastinating and went for an Elegoo Mars 2, Wash and Cure unit, plus a bottle of resin, all from Amazon and all Black Friday deals. Saved about £50 over other sources and I also had £20 in hand for swapping my credit card away from Visa (Amazon say they will not be accepting those from mid January, though it feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot and may yet reverse that decision...)
Arriving as separate deliveries tomorrow and Thursday apparently.
I suspect we'll get through quite a bit of resin before we get the hang of it :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I bought an AnyCubic bundle from Aliexpress direct from Anycubic's official store. It was considerably cheaper than anywhere else. It was delivered within three days from their UK warehouse.

Rik

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well. For my Happy Birthday/Christmas pressie, SWMBO has bought a Flashforge Adventurer 3. I chose it because its a cabinet, it will be run in the garage with its variable temperatures so I feel a cabinet will keep the temp more stable. Its also plug it in and run it without messing with assembly, which is something I do not care to get involved with at the moment, maybe later with another(!). I know its a fairly small work area (150mm^3), but I feel this is sufficient, for now.

I did me little cube last night and all seems OK. Now I must have fun with Cura and FFs own slicing software.

See you in a month, :)

Edit: SWMBO is unusually interested in this machine. I cant work out why though? Still, I'm not going to hinder her interest.