Oil drums

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi

Does anyone know of a supplier of decent G scale oil drums? I need some as loads in Gauge 3 wagons.

Thanks.

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
I get my oil drums from Modeltown and Andel models

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Steve @ Back2Bay6 had plenty at the Exeter show (although a few less after I'd finished). :D

Also, Trenarren Models.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks guys. I'm having issues with Trenarran models still waiting for the good I paid for months ago to arrive.

GJFREESTONE

Garden Railways, Model making
19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
Hi
just like you I could not find oil drums so I thought I would make my own .There are two ways of making them, one is to use morrisons vitamin c tubes or if you would like them slightly smaller wilkos denture table tubes .this is my method for vitamin tube you will need ten th plastic card cut into strips of 2mm .you will already have the base of the tube as a lid, if you want to fill the bottom in a piece of 20 th cut to shape and filed round glue to bottom ,the caps are made from 10 th plastic card using a paper hole punch .hope this is useful
086fda8f95284caaa25f78886b6b8b2a.jpg

42d1125de6e042949c8d80d6ceb8af91.jpg

8613f523b3f34b4aacd0ab918b8f4391.jpg

the strips of plastic are glued on with super glue after you have rubbed of the printed writing .
Graham Shrewsbury

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use wooden ones that come plain and can be painted any colour.
As they are solid wood they tend not to get blown over if they are free sited on the layout.
I may have a few left
The oil barrels in the piccies are the wooden ones

a4a4fe2aaef3479dab07931007312ad2.jpg

c1abe91d47cb47df916a3e355006c15a.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Google Larry Gscale. I got some good ones from him.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
GJFREESTONE said:
Hi
just like you I could not find oil drums so I thought I would make my own .There are two ways of making them, one is to use morrisons vitamin c tubes or if you would like them slightly smaller wilkos denture table tubes .this is my method for vitamin tube you will need ten th plastic card cut into strips of 2mm .you will already have the base of the tube as a lid, if you want to fill the bottom in a piece of 20 th cut to shape and filed round glue to bottom ,the caps are made from 10 th plastic card using a paper hole punch .hope this is useful
the strips of plastic are glued on with super glue after you have rubbed of the printed writing .
Graham Shrewsbury
Hmmm such resourceful use of plastic containers will get you a long way... Nifty!

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I bought one set of good one's and now "roll my own" using tin foil. Unlike Mikes, they do need gluing down though.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I most certainly approve of making ones own; especially the recycling part of it. :D
I purchased some, I believe from two dealers, at an Exeter Show a couple of years ago. They were heavy and had the advantage of not being blown away in gales. However, if you wish to make a load in a long gondola those type of barrels can add too much extra weight to the train. So the method shown in a previous post, or a similar to suit your own skills or junk box, is ideal for a wagon load which will have little added weight.
I feel that personally constructed items are more rewarding to have than purchased items. Apart from a passenger car, which has been made into a static diner, all my structures have been built using treated timbers. Some goods loads have been built in the railway workshops.

GJFREESTONE

19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
Hi Alan
been a ex Devon man myself it must be in the blood to make things out of cast offs, all my loads in my wagons are hand made, there is a certain type of pleasure you get from creating rather than buying and we are doing are bit to save the planet by recycling . the truth is unless I make rolling stock I could not afford the hobby .
Graham Shrewsbury
ps by the way my drums are weighted down with stones inside .

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Graham,
Well, I have purchased all my locos and most of my rolling stock. I have, however, kitbashed a few of my Bachmann wagons to form a maintenance train. But as I said, structures and loads are a different matter. Sand is used for weight here. I would liked to have had a small GWR set up here but found the locos beyond reasonable price, hence my foray into American outline. I thought of naming my stations after the places in the Jan Stewer books. :D

GJFREESTONE

19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
The possibilities are endless build if you cant buy.
Graham Shrewsbuy.