DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Would anyone happen to have an occre tram and a Bachmann G scale tram they could please photo side by side or end to end so I a comparison between them, thanks.

David

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The question one needs to ask is why do youneed to know ? OcCre make a number of tram models, supposedly to 1:24 scale. I have built the Cibeles Madrid model but find it hard to find a picture of the actual prototype to match - I think this might be termed "an impression of". No less likeble despite this.

Here is a picture of my built model. I have included a ruler and, more importantly for you, there is a Bachmann figure stsndin in the driver's position to give it scale. Hieght from railhead to top of celestory roof 160 mm (280 mm, height from railhead to catenery wire), width 97 mm (105 mm over steps), length over buffers 378 mm. I hope this helps. Max

20210804_164727.jpg20210804_164757.jpg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Max,

I was asking the question for no reason other than wondering how they looked next to each other.
My wife's words are that I have gone mad buying big bl##$y trams, I actually only have a few, and before i got myself an occre kit i thought I'd ask others who might have both how they looked together.

That's a nice looking tram by the way, thanks.

David

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Max,

I was asking the question for no reason other than wondering how they looked next to each other.
My wife's words are that I have gone mad buying big bl##$y trams, I actually only have a few, and before i got myself an occre kit i thought I'd ask others who might have both how they looked together.

That's a nice looking tram by the way, thanks.

David
Then go with what you like. I find that one can use a common scaled set of figures to even up any disparities under certain circumstances - in the picture below the car to the right is a "freelance" USAT "work series" item, it is reputed to be nominally scaled at 1:24. The car to the right is a Bachmann Spectrum true to scale D&RGW long caboose, at 1:20.3. The figures, all Woodland Scenics, are considered as 1:22.5 (although I use them throughout on my 1:20.3 scaled stock).

Basically you can tie together disparate items by use of figures to create a "common" scale. Standardize on Bachmann figures and others scaled similarly (Jon's work out very close for passengers) and you can create a balancing effect between various vehicles. Remember that scale comparison graphic, it uses a human figure to give scale to differentiate between typical standard and narrow gauge prototype stock sizes. If you you do not know the actual relationship between various prototypes' sizes you can get away with it. At least in your "minds eye". My preference is to model prototypical items run as they would in the real world. However, if the subject matter interests me I am quite happy creating "freelance" lash ups if there is some cohesion, so to speak. Max

20210804_195646.jpg

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
One is too many :worried:
Chris,

That's not very nice :-( I now have I think 12 different livery models plus 2 duplicates, one to be completely repainted in 1905 Musselburgh livery and re-gauged to 63.5mm, and the other to be re-numbered.
All are receiving new trucks.

These models were the draw to G Scale and I'm happy, nothing else really matters does it :)

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Occre kits do make up to very nice models as Max and others in this forum have shown. But they are certainly not “shake the box and they will fall together” kits. However if you enjoy a challenge, are happy to follow instructions properly they are a very rewarding build.

May not too relevant showing you my one as it is a double decker 4 wheeler kit that I have modified to be a bogie steam tram trailer. Size wise they do match other G trams very well. Pic shows my Occre with an LGB Trailer (exactly the same as a power car but no motor bogie) and a modified Backmann that has been fitted to an LGB bogie caboose chassis.
66B345BD-6A51-4255-8319-6E3F74029757.jpeg87FA531D-8215-47C6-B4D1-A17591EE4792.jpeg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the photos dunnyrail, I think that confirms at some point an occre tram or two will join the fleet, thanks all for the pictures, very helpful as always.

David

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Another vote for Occre. Not only are the kits fun to build, they continually improve them as well. I spotted a long standing error with the printed signs supplied with the kit and they corrected it and sent me a new set free of charge. Their Facebook page is excellent and they respond to messages about build enquiries and any missing parts.

These are my Occre trams, flanking a 3d printed Wisbech and Upwell tram from a design by Dagnell of this parish. 20210131_132751.jpg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, I am so tempted by that double decker. Lovely build quality you have there. I've got my ticket booked for a tour of the old Holborn Kingsway underground tram station. Hasn't been open to the public in almost 70 years since its closure. It's a bit of a Londoner thing, must bee done. I'll have to see what the nearby LT Museum (the tour organizer) has in its shop ;) :) Max

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Another vote for Occre. Not only are the kits fun to build, they continually improve them as well. I spotted a long standing error with the printed signs supplied with the kit and they corrected it and sent me a new set free of charge. Their Facebook page is excellent and they respond to messages about build enquiries and any missing parts.

These are my Occre trams, flanking a 3d printed Wisbech and Upwell tram from a design by Dagnell of this parish. View attachment 288554
I have a few more Bachmann models to convert before I start something, but we are getting closer to the time in the year when my wife asks what I'd like for a wee gift and I think an Occre tram is the top of the list, I just don't know which one.

Thanks.

David

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a few more Bachmann models to convert before I start something, but we are getting closer to the time in the year when my wife asks what I'd like for a wee gift and I think an Occre tram is the top of the list, I just don't know which one.

Thanks.

David
I guess it depends on your interests and any physical limitations on your line. I love the London Tram and found it a compelling and absorbing model to build, but it is of course, much taller than any other stock, so you need to consider any bridges or tunnels on your line. The new Buenos Aires tram however is simply superb, with high levels of detail and plenty of white metal parts included. Occre Buenos Aires Lacroze Tram Model Kit

If you want to motorise it, I've designed and shared on the 3D printing page some axles supports that fit the Slaters wheels and Apple Tree motor-gearboxes. These make it a simple screw in conversion, with plenty of room underneath for batteries and a speed controller - or indeed just fitting some pickups to the wheels.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I guess it depends on your interests and any physical limitations on your line. I love the London Tram and found it a compelling and absorbing model to build, but it is of course, much taller than any other stock, so you need to consider any bridges or tunnels on your line. The new Buenos Aires tram however is simply superb, with high levels of detail and plenty of white metal parts included. Occre Buenos Aires Lacroze Tram Model Kit

If you want to motorise it, I've designed and shared on the 3D printing page some axles supports that fit the Slaters wheels and Apple Tree motor-gearboxes. These make it a simple screw in conversion, with plenty of room underneath for batteries and a speed controller - or indeed just fitting some pickups to the wheels.
From looking at the photos on Occre's web site I narrowed it down to two, the Soller or Istanbul cars and I suspect the Soller car will win because it allows a bit of operational variety with toastrack trailers, plus theirs more chance of us visiting Soller than their is Istanbul. Add to this that someone has already built a very nice highly detailed model of the Soller car and documented it means I will have a reference source to add wee bits of extra detailing.

While typing this a link to a supplier has been forwarded to my wife, so decision made.

Thanks all.

David

Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The one on the left of the picture is the Istanbul tram. They also run very occasionally with matching trailers. Not my finest work, but the first wooden model I'd built in years..

The Soller is on my list, as outwardly it's a simple build, but takes some effort to get it right

Dagnall

Registered
17 May 2016
HAYLING island
Best answers
Country flag

These are my Occre trams, flanking a 3d printed Wisbech and Upwell tram from a design by Dagnell of this parish. View attachment 288554
Wow that’s pretty good company for my little tram model !! FYI I have a Bachman tram, but the (otherwise superb) Japanese motor in it failed. It was the brushes. I have rebrushed with 2mm clutch pencil hb cut down. But Peter’s spares sell 1.9mm brushes for Graham Farish (PS4) that may be a better fix. They also have spare springs that saves having to find them when they ‘ping ‘ ! I now have a couple, but I will only attempt the surgery again when it next fails.
cheers
Dagnall

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
From looking at the photos on Occre's web site I narrowed it down to two, the Soller or Istanbul cars and I suspect the Soller car will win because it allows a bit of operational variety with toastrack trailers, plus theirs more chance of us visiting Soller than their is Istanbul. Add to this that someone has already built a very nice highly detailed model of the Soller car and documented it means I will have a reference source to add wee bits of extra detailing.

While typing this a link to a supplier has been forwarded to my wife, so decision made.

Thanks all.

David
Be warned - both the Soller Tram and the Soller Railway are highly addictive :) I first visited them back in the 1990s and (apart from the covid lockdown) I have been going back every 18 -24 months ever since. It has been a beautiful love affair! :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Be warned - both the Soller Tram and the Soller Railway are highly addictive :) I first visited them back in the 1990s and (apart from the covid lockdown) I have been going back every 18 -24 months ever since. It has been a beautiful love affair! :cool:
And they do have some eclectic vehicles as well!!

1628412534037.png

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That looks like the spawn of a liason between a Mack, and a Moggy Minor Traveller! :oops::eek::giggle: