G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a logging train but do not have room for a logging area, so I decided to give the impression that there is a logging area off site.
To do this I installed a bridge to nowhere that eventually will be partly hidden by a shrub, similar to the one to the left, giving the idea that there is something back there.
Rather than waste a perfectly good point I made a phony point that will never move but give the impression of it switching a spur line.
Trackwork is a bit rough but as I did not use joiners for the short pieces that is to be expected and as no train will ever run on it (it's purely cosmetic) that is not an issue.
The bridge is a piece of plastic drainage channel cut up with split/cotter pins as uprights and wire for the railing.
I may do this sort of thing elsewhere on the layout so I can add some industry scenery without all that mucking around with track.

P1060346.JPG

P1060345.JPG

P1060347.JPG

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I installed a bridge to nowhere that eventually will be partly hidden by a shrub.

So, the branch will be hidden by a branch. I bough to your thinking, but you will not be out of the woods until it's complete, I wonder how many visitors will twig it.

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a logging train but do not have room for a logging area, so I decided to give the impression that there is a logging area off site.
To do this I installed a bridge to nowhere that eventually will be partly hidden by a shrub, similar to the one to the left, giving the idea that there is something back there.
Rather than waste a perfectly good point I made a phony point that will never move but give the impression of it switching a spur line.
Trackwork is a bit rough but as I did not use joiners for the short pieces that is to be expected and as no train will ever run on it (it's purely cosmetic) that is not an issue.
The bridge is a piece of plastic drainage channel cut up with split/cotter pins as uprights and wire for the railing.
I may do this sort of thing elsewhere on the layout so I can add some industry scenery without all that mucking around with track.

View attachment 283131

View attachment 283130

View attachment 283132
Cunning.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But not cunning enough, to put a tail on it and call it a fox!

Maybe, just maybe, a Foxglove?
:rolleyes::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
How about adding check rails to complete the illusion? They don’t need to do anything, so a suitable glue should do the trick.
Malcolm

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
So, the branch will be hidden by a branch. I bough to your thinking, but you will not be out of the woods until it's complete, I wonder how many visitors will twig it.

David
Bring me my bowsaw, these puns need lopping :mad:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Once we get our teeth into something......

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I bough to all the comedians.....:giggle:

angiea

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
24 Apr 2015
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
How about adding check rails to complete the illusion? They don’t need to do anything, so a suitable glue should do the trick.
Malcolm
To branch of the topic slightly, please can someone tell me what is a suitable glue? I used Gorilla glue last year to fix fencing around the zoo area of my railway, but most fences now need sticking again. If I know what to buy, I might not have to repair every year - or is it expected to have to reglue?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
To branch of the topic slightly, please can someone tell me what is a suitable glue? I used Gorilla glue last year to fix fencing around the zoo area of my railway, but most fences now need sticking again. If I know what to buy, I might not have to repair every year - or is it expected to have to reglue?
Mastic may be a better choice

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is it Plastic Fencing? UHU Power should last better, does on my line.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Gorilla make a number of different glues, so which Gorilla glue did you use, I used Gorilla Glue, orange that requires on surface to be damp, works well if you follow the instructions. You don't say what the fence is made of, it maybe that you require a Cyanoacrylate adhesive, however these are "not all made equal" some better than other on certain materials. Unless you are glueing two large surfaces together you need to pick the correct glue.

angiea

24 Apr 2015
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gorilla make a number of different glues, so which Gorilla glue did you use, I used Gorilla Glue, orange that requires on surface to be damp, works well if you follow the instructions. You don't say what the fence is made of, it maybe that you require a Cyanoacrylate adhesive, however these are "not all made equal" some better than other on certain materials. Unless you are glueing two large surfaces together you need to pick the correct glue.

Is it Plastic Fencing? UHU Power should last better, does on my line.
It's plastic fencing onto a plastic base. It's the base that the glue doesn't stick to. Thanks for the suggestion. I've had UHU Power indoors. I'll get some with Hobbycraft reopen.

angiea

24 Apr 2015
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's plastic fencing onto a plastic base. It's the base that the glue doesn't stick to. Thanks for the suggestion. I've had UHU Power indoors. I'll get some with Hobbycraft reopen.
It was the orange Gorilla Glue I used. It worked on the wooden fences, but not the plastic, but it is the plastic bases it doesn't stay stuck to. I don't know what sort of plastic they are. They are bits that were in the shed. Above should say I've used UHU Power indoors. I'll get some when Hobbycraft reopens. Thanks for all the advice.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
It was the orange Gorilla Glue I used. It worked on the wooden fences, but not the plastic, but it is the plastic bases it doesn't stay stuck to. I don't know what sort of plastic they are. They are bits that were in the shed. Above should say I've used UHU Power indoors. I'll get some when Hobbycraft reopens. Thanks for all the advice.
The plastic sound like ABS, in which case an MEK based plastic cement could be your best bet.

angiea

24 Apr 2015
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
The plastic sound like ABS, in which case an MEK based plastic cement could be your best bet.
Thank you for the advice.