Newqida Rc Locomotive 2-6-2t, Recommended?

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Hi everyone!
Lately I've been a bit short of time to get out and run the railway, I use Analog control, and set it up as and when I need it. So have been thinking about getting some cost effective RC locos, to use when I'm a bit pushed for time, plus something that maybe younger family members or guest can play with when visiting.
I've been looking at the Newqida 2-6-2T, from a distance it looks a good model, though I've heard mixed reviews, some say it runs good and other say it has limited range and quality control issues. I know the sound it naff, but that's not worry to me. I've got a number of items of rolling stock from them and for value for money they are superb! (Though I've got derailing issues with the bogie wagons, so if anyone has any cure for that, that would be great too!) :D
I was just wondering if anyone has got one or had experience with one, and weather it's worth a go. Also it would be great to hear if there is anyway of upgrading the control system on it, to something a bit more controllable.
Looking forward to hearing your views and experience, from what I've heard it's a controversial subject... :rofl:
Many thanks indeed!
Regards Callum

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It is an 'economy model' - sure its cheap but the mechanisms don't seem to last long. Perhaps it depends on how much you want to use it. I run trains for hours every week and i don't think it would last long here. The radio is similar to what you get in a cheap RC car model. range is a bit limited and glitching is common.
You can spend money upgrading things but then its no longer a cheap loco.
Its horses for courses mate - pay your money and make your choice. Personally, I wouldn't.
I would keep an eye on ebay for something more rugged. Your red Stainz loco is virtually bomb proof. If you buy a dud - just stick it back on ebay.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a second had 'Train' model..
Had it out the box, charge it up, ran it, and put it away again.

Nasty cheap copy. Plastic wheels, not very controllable. I would not give it to a 'newbie' as they would be so frustrated with it..

Get a s/h Playmobil RC loco. - Can't go wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a number of items of rolling stock from them and for value for money they are superb! (Though I've got derailing issues with the bogie wagons, so if anyone has any cure for that, that would be great too!)

Based purely on the experiences of others I too would avoid the loco.

I have some rolling stock. I improved it by fitting heavy metal wheels (Bachmann) and more flexible coupling springs (LGB). I also loosened some bogie pivot screws a little.

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threa...her-tweaks-for-the-chinese-bogie-coach.29828/

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
If you want a cheap RC loco that guests and kids can play with, I would strongly recommend the yellow playmobil loco. Reliable RC, easy to use, rugged and really does not look like a toy unless you use the figures. :)

Reactions: 2 users

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
If you want a cheap RC loco that guests and kids can play with, I would strongly recommend the yellow playmobil loco. Reliable RC, easy to use, rugged and really does not look like a toy unless you use the figures. :)

Excellent advice. I bought one of them for my granddaughter's 5th birthday, needless to say it has running rights on my line.:)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I would also avoid the off-the-shelf version of this, after all the bad reports I've read of them - however if you really want one, check out Zenner in Germany, who do "rebuilds" on these models (at a cost, obviously) and turn them into much higher quality runners with metal wheelsets and many other improvements:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271860774686?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Alternatively, if you want a track-powered version of the same loco, then there are plenty of "proper" LGB ones around second-hand at quite reasonable prices.... some even with sound fitted.

Jon.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Any Playmobil R/C loco is worth considering. I have two of the steam outline ones and run them for two hours at shows with no problems.

The R/C is dated but reliable and generally has a good range

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of those locos and yes it is a cheapy in many ways. Fortunately I bought it s/h at an auction for very little money and at that low price I am very happy with it. I do not expect it to last for ever but it has done many hours of garden running with no problems so far. At the same time I bought the TCE train by the same manufacturer that is in the video I posted for my own introduction to this group which was just before you. Amusingly it has the same sound module as the steam loco which has surprised a few people when I ran it!

Paul

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I do have an example of the NQD 2-6-2T. The RC is proportional-ish but not very fine control. Actually I found it's ok for just plonking on the track and leaving it to run round with a short train while getting on with other stuff (it's got a button for continuous running without need for the transmitter). I don't usually bother with the sound.

I did a small amount of fettling to remove moulding pips from the rods so it ran more smoothly, and I replaced the weird blue lights with warm white LEDs.

I you're going to buy one, don't spend a lot. When they first came out the loco was offered for around £80, and I don't think they're worth any more than that. I paid £120 for a set with 2 coaches and track. As has been mentioned there is an upgraded model available from Zenner, but is it worth it in the long run?

Whilst I don't have a Playmobil RC loco they do seem to be reasonably controllable from what I've seen and probably a better bet as folk have said.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
It is an 'economy model' - sure its cheap but the mechanisms don't seem to last long. Perhaps it depends on how much you want to use it. I run trains for hours every week and i don't think it would last long here. The radio is similar to what you get in a cheap RC car model. range is a bit limited and glitching is common.
You can spend money upgrading things but then its no longer a cheap loco.
Its horses for courses mate - pay your money and make your choice. Personally, I wouldn't.
I would keep an eye on ebay for something more rugged. Your red Stainz loco is virtually bomb proof. If you buy a dud - just stick it back on ebay.
Thanks for the help Alan. Will keep it in mind

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I bought a second had 'Train' model..
Had it out the box, charge it up, ran it, and put it away again.

Nasty cheap copy. Plastic wheels, not very controllable. I would not give it to a 'newbie' as they would be so frustrated with it..

Get a s/h Playmobil RC loco. - Can't go wrong.
Thanks for the info. Been watching a few videos on the RC Playmobil Diesel, not bad value for money, will have to take a closure look :)

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Thanks for the info. Will give it a look :)

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Any Playmobil R/C loco is worth considering. I have two of the steam outline ones and run them for two hours at shows with no problems.

The R/C is dated but reliable and generally has a good range
That good too know, will give them a look ;)

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I have one of those locos and yes it is a cheapy in many ways. Fortunately I bought it s/h at an auction for very little money and at that low price I am very happy with it. I do not expect it to last for ever but it has done many hours of garden running with no problems so far. At the same time I bought the TCE train by the same manufacturer that is in the video I posted for my own introduction to this group which was just before you. Amusingly it has the same sound module as the steam loco which has surprised a few people when I ran it!

Paul
Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear the some run well. Bet that a laugh during running session! Wonder if they though that it was odd when they put them together :rofl:

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I do have an example of the NQD 2-6-2T. The RC is proportional-ish but not very fine control. Actually I found it's ok for just plonking on the track and leaving it to run round with a short train while getting on with other stuff (it's got a button for continuous running without need for the transmitter). I don't usually bother with the sound.

I did a small amount of fettling to remove moulding pips from the rods so it ran more smoothly, and I replaced the weird blue lights with warm white LEDs.

I you're going to buy one, don't spend a lot. When they first came out the loco was offered for around £80, and I don't think they're worth any more than that. I paid £120 for a set with 2 coaches and track. As has been mentioned there is an upgraded model available from Zenner, but is it worth it in the long run?

Whilst I don't have a Playmobil RC loco they do seem to be reasonably controllable from what I've seen and probably a better bet as folk have said.
That's very interesting regarding the continuous running button. Does it run at a reasonable speed or flat out?

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I would also avoid the off-the-shelf version of this, after all the bad reports I've read of them - however if you really want one, check out Zenner in Germany, who do "rebuilds" on these models (at a cost, obviously) and turn them into much higher quality runners with metal wheelsets and many other improvements:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271860774686?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Alternatively, if you want a track-powered version of the same loco, then there are plenty of "proper" LGB ones around second-hand at quite reasonable prices.... some even with sound fitted.

Jon.
Thanks for the info, thing like these mod would be interesting to have a go myself with. Never know, will see if one comes up for the right price :)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That's very interesting regarding the continuous running button. Does it run at a reasonable speed or flat out?
I'd say a little faster than I'd prefer but not massively excessive, give it a decent load to keep it in check and it's fine. Obviously it eases off a little as the battery runs down. I think I got about 1.5 hours continuous running out of the stock battery (I also bought a higher capacity battery)

riderdan

Registered
30 Dec 2013
Kansas
Best answers
Thanks for the advice Neil. I've just put some metal wheel on order, can't wait to see what the sound like on the track

I did the same (added metal wheels) and loosened the screws that hold the bogies to the coaches. That helped. I also added interior lights, powered by a AA battery pack located under the floor--this also helped add weight and lower the center of gravity. Whenever you have tracking problems, it's a good idea to check the wheel gauge. Most of my problems have been related to improper gauging of the wheelsets.

Generally, I'd steer clear of cheap locomotives. Not just the NQ one, but also the EZ-Tec and other cheap stuff. Rolling stock is easy--there's not much to it more than a plastic box and some wheels. Even the Chinese can get that right. Locos have to be well-made to be durable and reliable; and as my father often comments, "There's no Chinese word for quality"