SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
A review full review of the budget Newqida RC G Scale Harz 2-6-2T Steam Locomotive.
Made Toy and Radio Controlled Manufacturer Newqida, this locomotive, plus other items rolling stock under the Train Branding, are a cost effective away of getting started in the world of G Scale Garden Railways.
Based on a German Harz 2-6-2T Steam Locomotive, which is used on the Harz Narrow Gauge Railway in central Germany, the model is bristling with detail, many due to the fact it's a clone of a premium LGB model.
The loco comes with everything you need to get started, including a Radio Controlled Hand-Set, 7.2 Rechargeable Battery, and Charger.
Performance can vary with these models (as seen in this review), but with a bit of modification, the loco does have potential.
Hope you enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A review full review of the budget Newqida RC G Scale Harz 2-6-2T Steam Locomotive.
Made Toy and Radio Controlled Manufacturer Newqida, this locomotive, plus other items rolling stock under the Train Branding, are a cost effective away of getting started in the world of G Scale Garden Railways.
Based on a German Harz 2-6-2T Steam Locomotive, which is used on the Harz Narrow Gauge Railway in central Germany, the model is bristling with detail, many due to the fact it's a clone of a premium LGB model.
The loco comes with everything you need to get started, including a Radio Controlled Hand-Set, 7.2 Rechargeable Battery, and Charger.
Performance can vary with these models (as seen in this review), but with a bit of modification, the loco does have potential.
Hope you enjoy!

I tried screen your video (and others on the Forum, yesterday but my internet connection was continually "buffering up" so had to wait until this morning.

Well it's a "warts and all" review - and that's good in my opinion. I don't operate european outline locos but I do have two Bachmann R/C locos for emergencies on my trailer line (when I remember to take them along!). The Bachmann ones have plastic wheels, as do some Playmobil locos - so I don't see that as a problem. The reluctance to negotiate R1 curves would mean it wouldn't be suitable for me - although I had considered one. As you suggest though, some of the problems, or iritating details, can be cured.

Thanks for an honest report!

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a complete set with coaches and track for £120. Mine doesn't seem to exhibit the same slowdown on NQD's own brown plastic R1 track. I Never ran it on LGB brass R1 as my line was minimum R3.

Definitely replace the silly blue lights with warm white LEDs. Yes the sound is irritating after a while and I don't use it. Very similar recording to a cheapo set I bought a decade or more ago from Lidl.

The autonomous mode is actually quite useful, I used to leave it trundling around with a couple of wagons or coaches for an hour or so while getting on with other stuff in the garden.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the review. I think this loco is best described as cheap and cheerful. :)

lotsasteam

Registered
7 Aug 2012
Best answers
Country flag
kitbashed some of their cars into usable reliable rollers 7 years in the hot Utah sun no bridle plastic yet!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have just repaired one that was given to me (can't argue with the price) it was missing the centre wheels but Mr Zenner in Germany supplied a replacement for about$10 Aust.
Mine did not have the R/C gear so I just added an ESC a servo controlled toggle switch for direction and 8 AA batteries (nominal 9.6) and it runs quite well.
I have wrapped some lead strip around the front and rear coupler tongues for added weight and that improved track holding but the wheel wobble on mine is nowhere near as bad as in the video. It runs through my LGB R1 points OK now the extra weight is over the pilot wheels.
I use the loco as something to run when the little ones come over and want to see a train I actually give them the controller and let them have a go, that way I am not a nervous wreck as I would be if gave them a go at my Shay.
All in all a good starter for someone to get the feel for the hobby without a large outlay.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
The volume was very low. Looks like it does not like curves much. The volume was so low I missed a lot of the dialog. What music did it play?

Greg
Hi Greg, Very sorry about the sound, if not load enough. This is due to the editing software, which tends to quite it down a bit for some odd reason. I'll try and find a way of getting this sorted for more future G Scale reviews

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Thanks for all the positive feedback on the review. Will be sure to do more G Scale video reviews in the future. ;)

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I have just repaired one that was given to me (can't argue with the price) it was missing the centre wheels but Mr Zenner in Germany supplied a replacement for about$10 Aust.
Mine did not have the R/C gear so I just added an ESC a servo controlled toggle switch for direction and 8 AA batteries (nominal 9.6) and it runs quite well.
I have wrapped some lead strip around the front and rear coupler tongues for added weight and that improved track holding but the wheel wobble on mine is nowhere near as bad as in the video. It runs through my LGB R1 points OK now the extra weight is over the pilot wheels.
I use the loco as something to run when the little ones come over and want to see a train I actually give them the controller and let them have a go, that way I am not a nervous wreck as I would be if gave them a go at my Shay.
All in all a good starter for someone to get the feel for the hobby without a large outlay.
Interesting regarding you run yours on AA's, have been thinking weather it would be possible. What battery mount did you use and how did you wire it in?