Newby Advice please

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
As a relatively new member this is my first post.I am moving from 00 gauge to G gauge the reason for joining this forum. I need advice please about the correct controller and power pack to buy to run a small G Gauge layout in a double garage? I have a Shay logging engine and two small LGB 0-4-0 engines.
Planning to run DC (analogue) I also need to buy 8off Massoth insulated rail joiners for my isolation sections but cannot find any for sale ? Any help / advice great fully received.Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC...

For a simple, reliable DC controller, Helmsman have a very good reputation:

Jon.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
How about a cheap 1amp LGB train set controller. Found cheap on Ebay. Practically indestructable. If nothing else it will give you time to play & plan before spending too much.

Reactions: 1 users

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
How about a cheap 1amp LGB train set controller. Found cheap on Ebay. Practically indestructable. If nothing else it will give you time to play & plan before spending too much.
Hi Mike
Thanks for the info. May I ask would 1amp be enough for the Shay logging engine ? I think it has twin motors ?
But not sure ?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike
Thanks for the info. May I ask would 1amp be enough for the Shay logging engine ? I think it has twin motors ?
But not sure ?
Not having a Shay I cannot comment. I ran LGB double motor locos for several years until I upgraded. The LGB controller is still useful for testing.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike
But not sure ?

2 or 3 truck ? Each truck will have a motor if Bachmann. You need to consider load conditions and how you may develop your line. The Shay could pull up to 2 amps, or a bit more, dependent on load, gradient and curve diametre (and if any reverse curves even more - friction and drag have to be accounted for when assessing current draw). I would say look for a 5 amp/18 volt output minimum to "future proof" as best as possible. The canny salesman told me I needed a 20 amp/20 volt Crest made unit when i first bought into the hobby :D So that's what I got.

Although I have not used them myself these seem to have a good rep' in the hobby Helmsman Model Rail. And welcome to the forum Shunter. Max

Last edited:

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
2 or 3 truck ? Each truck will have a motor if Bachmann. You need to consider load conditions and how you may develop your line. The Shay could pull up to 2 amps, or a bit more, dependent on load, gradient and curve diametre (and if any reverse curves even more - friction and drag have to be accounted for when assessing current draw). I would say look for a 5 amp/18 volt output minimum to "future proof" as best as possible. The canny salesman told me I needed a 20 amp/20 volt Crest made unit when i first bought into the hobby :D So that's what I got.
Hi Mike
The Shay is two truck model. So I guess a 5 amp controller would be best ?
Don

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
At least 1 amp per motor bare minimum but as others have said longer trains, curves, grades, lights and smoke will all require more to be practical. 5 or even 10 amps to get serious but will cost some bucks.
Like Mike said, an LGB 1 amp controller is relatively cheap, will run the 0-4-0s and good for testing so won't be wasted if starting out on a low budget. It will move the shay but only just. A Brawa RhB 2-8-0 with Maxon motor does nothing! Don't even consider a 0.5 amp starter controller. I think a Bachmann Anniversary 4-6-0 draws about 0.8 amps just by itself to give you some idea.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to the LGB 1-amp units, this is the sort to look for:

It's a solid and hefty little combined power pack and controller (as opposed to the separate power supply and controller of the lower-amp starter set units), and if you're just running a single-motor LGB loco then they are excellent - they will just about run an LGB twin-motor loco at low speeds without too much of a load on it, though anything that increases the current draw (tight R1 curves, gradients, more than a couple of wagons/coaches) will strain the 1amp limitation.
Pretty much certain it wouldn't be enough for your Shay, as others have said, but nonetheless a very useful and reliable little powerpack that can often be picked up second-hand for £20-£25 quid - and always handy for running things on the test bench or rolling road.

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep - Helmsman are good - very good :nod::nod:

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to the LGB 1-amp units, this is the sort to look for:

It's a solid and hefty little combined power pack and controller (as opposed to the separate power supply and controller of the lower-amp starter set units), and if you're just running a single-motor LGB loco then they are excellent - they will just about run an LGB twin-motor loco at low speeds without too much of a load on it, though anything that increases the current draw (tight R1 curves, gradients, more than a couple of wagons/coaches) will strain the 1amp limitation.
Pretty much certain it wouldn't be enough for your Shay, as others have said, but nonetheless a very useful and reliable little powerpack that can often be picked up second-hand for £20-£25 quid - and always handy for running things on the test bench or rolling road.

Jon.
Any opinions on the GAUGEMASTER 10LGB SINGLE TRACK CASED CONTROLLER FOR G SCALE 2.5 amp unit ?

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
At least 1 amp per motor bare minimum but as others have said longer trains, curves, grades, lights and smoke will all require more to be practical. 5 or even 10 amps to get serious but will cost some bucks.
Like Mike said, an LGB 1 amp controller is relatively cheap, will run the 0-4-0s and good for testing so won't be wasted if starting out on a low budget. It will move the shay but only just. A Brawa RhB 2-8-0 with Maxon motor does nothing! Don't even consider a 0.5 amp starter controller. I think a Bachmann Anniversary 4-6-0 draws about 0.8 amps just by itself to give you some idea.
Any opinion on the GAUGEMASTER 10LGB SINGLE TRACK CASED CONTROLLER FOR G SCALE 2.5amp unit ?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Any opinion on the GAUGEMASTER 10LGB SINGLE TRACK CASED CONTROLLER FOR G SCALE 2.5amp unit ?

Perfectly good power unit, in all probability - I've never used one, but it should be fine. Half the price of the Helmsman unit, but then again it is only half the power (2.5A vs. 5A).
2.5A SHOULD be enough for your Shay, but the 5A might be better if you think you're ever going to want to run any larger locos with smoke and sound, and perhaps lighted rolling stock.

If your budget would stretch, then my choice would still be to go with the Helmsman - but if funds are an issue then you'll probably be fine with the Gaugemaster at least for the time being.

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 10LGB is a good device, but might be a little shy on power for you..
We used one for one of the Christmas trains we ran, and whilst it coped, it did run warm. - Too warm to keep your freezing fingers on!
(We were in a cold loco shed!) This was running constantly for 6+ hours.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Any opinions on the GAUGEMASTER 10LGB SINGLE TRACK CASED CONTROLLER FOR G SCALE 2.5 amp unit ?
At one time, the Gaugemaster offerings in this scale were thought to be a bit underwhelming - I can't remember what the issue was, but I suspect they've overcome it by now.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Re-post since the server crash. :wasntme:

You could buy a separate controller with the required amp rating like an LGB 5 amp one then buy a Chinese switching power supply for $25 or so. Available in all kinds of ratings. A beefy one could power several controllers.
The are flat shaped with vent holes on top and exposed terminal so best put in a separate case to avoid Shoko. o_O
I have one similar to the one in the link below powering an AristoCraft 10 amp controller.

200W 24V 8.3A Single Output Switching power supply for LED Strip light AC to DC | eBay

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I had one for a while, before I went to MTS. It failed once, but it was repaired by Gaugemaster as it had a lifetime guarantee. I used it with the ART Train Engineer but eventually sold it on....