Newbie.

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Hi I am getting a bit old for my boat so I am looking at a garden railway , then the wife and I can enjoy the great grandchildren ,playing with the system i make. I have a large square garden with plenty of room to make a nice railway, I will look at a lot of the subject on this site for my help and any tips on track and such will be appreciated.

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Many thanks for your swift advice and I have had a glance at your site and will have a good look later. Again many thanks. Andy

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say that I'd help to sail your boat :D:D

But there's plenty of trains on here - most of us like to play trains :nod::nod:

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Unfortunately no sailing anymore just leisurely motor cruising , but even that can be an handful now ,but I do manage 3 months away each year

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Andy!
Whatever you need to know about getting started in this great hobby, there will be someone on here to give you a useful answer (plus the rest of us to chip in with all the flippant rubbish....) :rofl:

Provided you can put up with our often weird senses of humour, you'll get a lot out of spending a bit of time on here.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Andy!

Keep your ear to the ground, and go-visit some garden-railways in your area..
BUT..
If it will be used by the Grand Kiddies, then seriously consider something like some Playmobil equipment.. - Possibly battery RC, as well?
That way, you can have 'something' that will run without powering a whole system up, won't go so fast it can fall off at the first corner and damage itself, and is not overly costly, if it should get damaged.

PhilP.

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Hi Jon I am seventy three still think I am 25 except for the tin knees and many other ailments, and I still have a great sense of humour and have indeed worked with many weird people in my time. I also use forums for every bit of info I require and you soon find the good info and some you immediately recognise as useless but I am sure I can cope with the odd ones thanks Jon

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Welcome to the Forum, Andy!

Keep your ear to the ground, and go-visit some garden-railways in your area..
BUT..
If it will be used by the Grand Kiddies, then seriously consider something like some Playmobil equipment.. - Possibly battery RC, as well?
That way, you can have 'something' that will run without powering a whole system up, won't go so fast it can fall off at the first corner and damage itself, and is not overly costly, if it should get damaged.

PhilP.
Thanks Phil sound advice like the rest I have engaged with I will ask on here if there are any in East Yorkshire I am just Wes of hull , so some forum member may see this I will ask somewhere else on the site as well. Best regards. Andy

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Since your name seems to be "Andy", I would have thought you would use "SnowGANDER" as your phony name !!
Well, Andy; please feel welcome here. Not everyone is as "Picky" as me, when it comes to names !!!
Fred Mills

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy, lots to learn, but you are never to old ;)

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
Hi Fred , I. Tend to forget a bit easily nowadays and Snowgoose is the name of my first boat over 50 years ago , it was a bearing runner going to Sweden from hull in the hours of darkness to collect ball bearings so had a lot of history and unforgettable, and that is why I use it, I also will never forget her. Best regards Andy

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
From you 'letting slip', your age and state of knees..
Please consider a raised layout. - Either 'on sticks', or on raised planting beds.

One of the first people I bought track from, was having to go to a smaller, raised layout:
As he said, he had got to the point where he could still get down to the ground-level track, but they needed written permission from his knees to get back up again! :(

PhilP.

Snowgoose

Registered
25 Jun 2019
East yorkshire
Best answers
From you 'letting slip', your age and state of knees..
Please consider a raised layout. - Either 'on sticks', or on raised planting beds.

One of the first people I bought track from, was having to go to a smaller, raised layout:
As he said, he had got to the point where he could still get down to the ground-level track, but they needed written permission from his knees to get back up again! :(

PhilP.
Hi Phil that would be an advantage I must admit but over the last 8 years I have hardened my nerves in my knees up a fair bit and if I have my brilliant dewalt knee pads on I do not have any problems at all with my knees and even when I fall down I can get up quite easily , I was going to try ploughing the garden with them at one time

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Andy, just be careful of the kneeses, you know they can spread diseases!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum as Phil says a higher layout is so much easier as you move through the years. Have a look at my build and vid linked below to see what you can do with a raised line. No need to be as big as mine but a line on sticks can be made to look quite scenic with planting below. My recent thoughts have been towards vertical part of my Garden that can be converted using old skips. It is all out there look for. Erotically Gardens. See guys I never even mentioned Battery Operation!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Andy. Much fun to be had here as I suspect you have already noticed.....:rofl:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy....