Newbie just wanted to say hi

ukjonathan

Registered
7 Jan 2017
United kingdom
Best answers
Hi all just wanted to introduce myself and to say hi.
I've just got into LGB after seeing a loco I just had to have. It's only a shunter but that's how it started (well that's my excuse anyway) The funny thing is I don't even have a garden. I had to retire early through ill health so I have time on my hands now to see how I'm going to progress this.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard.
A small shunting layout or terminus is quite possible indoors Jonathon. Or find your local group who probably have a club track.
The G scale society is a good start. Have a look in our 'Links' section on here

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, from another of the "Jons" with no H......
As Alan and Gizzy have said, lots of possibilities for using LGB indoors - a micro-layout on a shelf or wide windowsill, or just lay some track on the floor and enjoy running something (beware of running on light-coloured carpets though....). Like Alan mentioned, joining the G scale society will get you access to your local area group, and thence invites to open garden meets in the summer months where you can usually run your stock - the areas vary in just what and how much they do, for example here in North Essex we also have an informal indoor running session once a month over the winter period, at a village hall - track down on the floor, and everyone brings something to run on it.
Enjoy spending some time on here, you'll usually get some sensible answers to pretty much anything you want to ask!

Jon.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard.

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie around here too.

Indoor layouts are very possible in 'G' scale and even in 16mm, or 3/4 scale or even 7/8th. My layouts have always been built indoors as I have a disability which prevents me from doing anything in the garden (or the jungle as it's usually known). ;)

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jonathan. You have started on a good hobby - and long may you continue. It helps you forget, or at least put up with, health problems!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Jonathan..
Give us a clue where you are in the country, and we can point you at local groups and events..
You might even find there is the odd G scale layout at a preserved railway or two! ;)

ukjonathan

Registered
7 Jan 2017
United kingdom
Best answers
Hi Thanks to everyone who replied and it's all gratefully excepted. I'm really enjoying looking and gaining valuable hints and tips of this wonderful community. I'm sure I'll be asking some silly questions so please be gentle

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Jonathan. This is a great place to be. I can say that from experience. We look forward to watching your progress as you build your empire.

And remember, our hobby is our own little world. But it's okay, we know one another here.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You might want to look at building a raised railway. I have seen wonderful raised railways that kept the "garden" aspect to them. From around the balcony railing on a 2nd story condo to the same thing in raised benchwork outdoor that was kind of like window boxes but on a large scale so that live plants could be used. The one on the 2nd floor balcony was really nice, used LGB's field railway equipment and while he used just electric driven steam engines, it would have been a wonderfull line for a small 4 coupled live steamer such as a Merlin Mayflower or Roundhouse Billy/Katie/Bertie ect. My trains help me cope with my disalibity and I have both an indoor loop around the walls in our living room up near the ceiling and a garden railway. A raised railway is in the future, planing to have it up before I turn 50(about 6 years away) Mike