New Year's build challenge 2012 -

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I was a bit bored this evening, so I'll post this today and give everyone [strike]a few more days to procrastinate[/strike] --- err a head start going into the new year. :D

1.Topics eligible for this year's challenge shall be; A. Commercial or industrial building. B. Rolling stock, any. -or- C. rural life related mini scene. NEW Projects, only please. Not something you've already been working on, or had seasoning on the workbench for months...
2. The maximum allowed on new purchases shall $15USD (or local monetary equivalent at the current exchange rate). But we'll spot you a tube of glue and single bottle of paint off the expense sheet. If it was in your possession as of 5pm Dec 24, it shall be considered 'free'. If you can swap something you have (except cash, cheque or charge!) for what you need it's 'free' as well.
3. All entries should be submitted no later than Jan 21, 2012
4. Have fun!

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
Re:New Year's build challenge 2012 -

Mik,

I assume that to be a tadge under £10 in real money. If I could convert the beer cans emptied by my boys today into corrugated I should be able to build it for nought. Little conversion opportunities with whisky!

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers

Just a quick check Mik - there's no 'theme' for entries that I've somehow missed, other than the classes A/B/C?

Jonathan

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

Like it Mik, great idea. I would love to participate but other stuff is in the way, so good luck to everyone who enters, and DONT you dare not to post suitable pix!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

JonathanJ said:
Just a quick check Mik - there's no 'theme' for entries that I've somehow missed, other than the classes A/B/C?
No real 'theme', beyond something that fits with your railroad.... be a shame to just build a dustcatcher.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Mik im replying on this thread because i dont want to interupt your build thread..

Im not sure im understanding your concept of building something for $15 ............. if im correct and i think people of my age will concure i was under the impresion we were talking "Blue Peter Builds" in other words something from silver foil and empty washing up bottles.. it seems from your build your including anything you might already have in stock. i was just wondering how these builds are to be judged......because im thinking someone like you or me who has a shed full of unfinished projects from other people has an unfair advantage over someone who doesnt hoard anything.... for instance your little shop converted from a kit with windows from another kit fitted out with ready made people maybe a wonderful project but how do you judge it against someone who builds the same thing with coffee stirers and polyclay

Please dont take this the wrong way I think the idea is great and i have some thoughts for my build but somehow im slightly concernd
Tony

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Tony,

See point 1.....

NEW Projects, only please. Not something you've already been working on, or had seasoning on the workbench for months...

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

muns said:
Tony,

See point 1.....

NEW Projects, only please. Not something you've already been working on, or had seasoning on the workbench for months...
Mark Yes i saw that and understood it but thats not what i have asked

Tony

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

Tony,
I was actually expecting someone to say , "That ain't no scratchbuild, It's just a stupid kit with new windows!" so you were right on cue! :clap:
The thing is, "the little shed" isn't the project, it's just the first stage.... or more precisely, THE stage. What I've shown so far is kinda like saying "Once upon a time, in a land far, far away" (or more precisely "See! Nothing up my sleeve!")... so please expect that it will take us a while to get to, "and they lived happily ever after!" (or TaaDaa!!!!) --- Like any good storyteller - or magician, I haven't revealed anywhere near the entire plot, or real trick yet! :D

Plus, by starting super simple from the Korber kit and Lemax figures, I was also hoping to tease a few fence sitters into thinking, "Hell, even I can do better'n THAT!", and jumping in. And if they start from some factory made bit THEY already have, that's cool..... Turning something you have into something you need is the first step into scratchbuilding. Yes? :D

As for how things are to be judged, totally scratchbuilt from junk always gets bonus points! :love:

I hope this eases your mind.....

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Mik said:
As for how things are to be judged, totally scratchbuilt from junk always gets bonus points! :love:

I hope this eases your mind.....

Thats fine Mik........... for my part im not complaining as i said im the worlds biggest hoarder of stuff that will be "usefull one day"
in the 2 years ive been "gscaling" (a part from my polyclay Figures) i havnt started let alone finished a project yet i have a shed full of ones from other peoples collections. EG draws of parts from dismatled locos wagons coaches etc which "spots" me an advantage over the tidy guy who throws it out if its junk...... for this challange im going to build a "something from nothing anyway"
Good luck to all
now where did i put that broken model of Grand Central station :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tony

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Sorry mik not a good railway bodging time for me at the mo... ive forgotten what my garden looks like
maybe next one

Tony

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

I had seriously intended to make something but events overtook my intentions:thumbdown:

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers

Does that by default make me the winner of the industrial class and presumably the booby prize for coming last as well???
It was a bit fun experimenting with strips of foil to see how the next building might (or might not) work, and the timing was right as I had Xmas off until 3/1/12.
Cheers Mik for spurring me on to build and post pictures (not a strong point - sorry)