Mik's challenge project build log

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
When I'm the one to issue a build challenge, to keep it fair, I try very hard to think of categories that others would find interesting and fun... but not about what I'm actually going to build.

This time I had a few ideas of what I DIDN'T want to do, but not a single clue about what I did. Last year, on another board, I attempted a "WOW! factor" type of build... As a result, I not only blew the budget restraint. I missed the deadline as well. --- In fact the damned thing STILL isn't finished! :'(
(see: http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/southpenn.html if you want an idea on how to get in over your head! )

So what was called for this time was something basic, yet charming..... fairly easy, but different.... But my muse simply refused to co-operate all week! :brokeheart:

Today Kim went looking for a box to ship the second Lindsey wagon to it's new home, and found these inside it. She'd bought them back in November intending to give me them for Christmas.... and forgot they were there!
Being in a hurry to get to the Post Office I looked at them and said something non-committal and probably ungracious and inane as well. (Kim often buys stuff that just doesn't quite work with my "vision"... sometimes it takes me a while to see it her way...) And started to toss them in a drawer ------ then I realised they shared a common theme. (Yes, I can occasionally take a hint -- especially when it smacks me upside the head! :D )
PC300006.jpg

So would it be a rural life mini scene.... Wait! How about a small commercial building?.... No. That would blow the whole "simple" thing right out the window.

But then I remembered I had a Korber "Aunt Bertha's House" kit that I'd bought last April but never gotten around to assembling.
36064335238089.gif

So, what IS the difference between a small cottage, and a tiny business (besides higher property taxes)? Big windows! And I had a couple sets of Simpson windows left over from my machine shop project. Now we're really cookin with gas! My muse was back!!!!!!!!!!!
PC300003.jpg

Aunt Bertha's front wall, before:
PC300001.jpg

Big gaping hole... maybe need to get a housing inspector to check to see if too many structural supports were cut?
PC300002.jpg

Simpson windows installed.... doesn't look too bad, and only took a bit less than an hour.
PC300005.jpg

And After; Just your basic plastic box so far....
PC300001_01.jpg

Thank God I didn't need to "buy" any of this stuff, or I'd already be so far over budget I'd be in orbit! I will have to buy a bunch additional detail stuff, tho.

And that brings us to the end of build day 1

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
For those thinking, "Wait a minute! I thought we were supposed to scratchbuild, not just kitbash!" Today we started scratching a bit. The Korber kit is nice enough, for an empty box.... time we begin filling it!
Wainscot courtesy of some broken B'mann coach bits. Interior trim is good old coffee stirrers
PC300001_02.jpg

A bit of burnt sienna and 'patina' add bold color to walls that will only be indirectly lit most of the time.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/AlleghenyValley/2012/PC310002.jpg < Link To
PC310002.jpg

A waterproof subfloor, cut from a discarded restaurant serving tray (fibreglas)
PC310003.jpg

The flooring itself. Inexpensive shelf contact paper from the kitchen store (still needs final trimming), an idea borrowed from my ex-wife's dollhouse hobby. I think this pattern looks a lot like late 50's era linoleum! Choose wisely since one 99c roll will do about a dozen LS buildings...
PC310004.jpg

And I'm still just building the stage for the actual project! More recycling and re-purposing to come!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Day 2-1/2... I worked on a few things while watching the New Year's crapola on the tube.
When somebody says "scratchbuilt" most folks think of big, impressive handmade edifices or rolling stock... but sometimes scratchbuilt can also be something small and easily overlooked...

I found this postcard of a Chicago Florist's shop ca 1910...
POSTCARD-CHICAGO-SIMMONSFLORIST-INTERIOR-242W63RDSTREET-c1910.jpg

Other than all the gingerbread, what else do you see? Answer, lots of glassware... Well, on a whim I priced half sized dollhouse vases... $9-$20 EACH!!!... and there's about 2 dozen of them in that pic! Um, thanks but no. So I decided to make vases exactly the same way I make Kerosene lamp chimneys - a bit of clear rigid tube and a clear bead...
PC310001.jpg

I also made some flower bowls by the simple process of cutting a clear bead in half, and stacking it on top of another bead.
PC310002_01.jpg

I got 12 vases and 10 bowls done before my eyes started to cross (about 90 minutes). I also found a couple chrome diesel exhaust tips that I can paint white to be oval planters. Then I started on the window display table. It, at least, was much easier for my fat fumble fingers to do...
PC310003_01.jpg

Now, I'm off to bed...

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I gained some extra respect for you fellows who make clay figures tonight. I had enough trouble with making lollipop flowers! - expense report: 3 packages polymer clay @ $1.49ea.= $4.47
P1040001.jpg

I started the greenhouse. It's currently not attached to the building because I need to make sure there's actually room for it in the garden first.
P1040003.jpg

4 Simpson windows make up the greenhouse roof. I don't know why, but I just like it Victorian wrought iron black better than a more modern white or aluminium.
P1040004.jpg

Flowers get baked in the morning, then I can start window dressing

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Fantastic work :clap:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Window display 90% complete...
P1070004.jpg

How it looks from the street...
P1070005.jpg

I ordered $10 worth of 1/24 furniture to fill out the interior. Hopefully it will arrive early next week. Meanwhile, back to work on the greenhouse!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
greenhouse progress...
I decided to see how it looked at the alternate location...
P1070002_01-1.jpg

Plants 75% installed
P1070001_01-1.jpg

Roof on... still need to make more plants
P1080003.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
today's update..........
Here's where I blew went over budget... I was going to use my last spare B'mann coach stove for this project, but then I found this really nice potbelly pencil sharpener for $1 - The chimney is a stake from a solar light that I mounted in the roof of another building. Rather than try to etch bricks, it's been plastered and painted (well, that's my story anyway!)
P1090001.jpg

The other furniture came today, so I made a lot of progress in a short period of time. Here's bookcase #1
P1090005.jpg

The windows were in inconvenient places - So bookcase #2 got butchered
P1090004.jpg

Once they were installed they didn't look too bad...
P1090006.jpg

The clock was probably my ex-wife's... I found it in a box of stuff, and decided it would cover the funny mold mark quite well. The rolltop desk was cheaper than a cash register.
P1090008.jpg

I decided it needed an awning - Aluminum flashing and coathanger wire to the rescue!
P1090009.jpg

Awning installed, plus Kim painted me a sign
P1090010.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Flamin' 'eck Mik, if that guy's hair was a bit more white he could almost have been my old man! :clap:

Mind you, I dont think he bought the old Duch flowers that often!
:D

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
bobg, That's actually just the Preiser/LGB dude from the sets. He's had his newspaper and briefcase stolen by a thief named 'The Dremel-ator'.

I actually wanted more white, but the cheapy craft paint I have was a bit too thick to dry brush properly - it wanted to blob and clump and look like crap. Then when I watered it down it wouldn't work as a wash, either. So maybe your old dad "forgot" his anniversary and had to splurge to stay outta the doghouse? :banghead: