Introducing Mik's Super Sparkly Magic Turd Polish...

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Vic Smith and I recently did a junkbox swap. One of the things he sent was an illco "Muppets" loco chassis. It looks a knock off of the LGB #207, but the fact that Vic sent it on for basically free probably tells a lot of you all you really need to know about it's quality..... He claims it's because he felt "if anybody could make it work", I could :rofl:

Upon it's arrival, the conversation went something like this:
AV owner- "If the Borracho Springs (home of silver plated Cheerful, Cheap, and Cheesy LLC) couldn't polish that steaming pile of Sh__, then anybody with any sense could see it's completely hopeless!"
Head flunky and broom jockey at the Skonkworks - "Ah gots me abowt foh dollah, an' fifteen cents, boss!"
.............................. (WHY do we keep that guy around, again?).........................................

Anyway, it was decided to turn it into.... something -- for the kiddies to operate on open days, y'know.

First order of biznezz was to fix a gear that had slipped on it's shaft (It was split, but I found one from another cheap broken toy)..... then swap out the front wheelset with a spare one Vic sent (that had a crankpin boss) Followed by a couple air tanks made from 1/2" pvc pipe and a pilot from wood and styrene....
P1100002.jpg

Boiler is 75c worth of 2" pvc drain pipe, stack is B'mann Bug Mauler, smokebox door is Lionel Polar Express - both outta my junkbox..... me heap big spender!
P1100001.jpg

Mocked up on the chassis, BTW that drain pipe stuff smells exactly like, well..., when you cut it with an abrasive disc... how fitting is that?
P1100003.jpg

It was decided early on that this project really deserved two skunks. So Stanley Stinkum tried to get his twin brother Sidney to pose... the photographer gave up and snapped this picture while they were still arguing...
P1100005.jpg

Anyway, keeping with my no budget approach, I dug a Bachmann Mining Mogul ( Indie) cab roof I've been 'seasoning' for... 6 years or so? out of the "really junk" junkbox... it was too narrow. But I only have ONE New Old Stock Delton c-16 cab roof left- and it ain't gittin used for THIS, so the Indie one HAD to work...
P1130003.jpg

Steam dome is a sand dome from a long junked Bachmann 0-4-0 Porter, sand dome is Kalamazoo. Cab sides are Delton c-16 'steel' cab panels (THOSE I still have a few of), connecting rods Lionel Polar Express, side rods Delton bits and brass. I made them extra sloppy since the wheels probably aren't perfectly quartered...Front crankpins I made from the old illco rods, and I'm still trying to scrounge a rear set.
P1130004.jpg

The tender will probably be built up from a Hartland mini flat... we shall see. The major parts donor I really need to find for this is one of those crappy old forward/reverse only r/c cars. When you DON'T want one, they're all over the place at flea markets and yard sales for a dollar or two... when you do, they're scarce as hen's teeth.....

I also decided late today that this thing would NOT be lettered for the AV -- rather I'd see if I can use some leftover dry transfers to make up ones for the (not so) legendary WBT&S (Wobble, Bobble, Turnover & Stop!)...

With luck it soon might even get upgraded from total turd to extra cheesy..... Depends if it can actually pull it's shadow when I'm done!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
You have to love any thread that can get the word Turd in it :rofl:

Intresting Project :clap:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Can you think of a better description? It WAS just "cheesy" until I actually had to break it (half screws half glued) in order to FIX it...

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Great inspiration for having a go at turning trash into useful stuff. Nice one Mik :clap:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
More like fool's gold.
While it was apart, I tested the motor (3v... and most inexpensive power packs actually start at slightly more than that!), and checked ALL the old wire connections (plus added that bit of speaker wire for the LED headlight).
Today I decided to try it with some good D batteries, and.......................................

So I tried the power pack on the LED connection... it ran. On the battery connections, no dice.

Time to take it BACK apart... This time I used a meter to check the continuity of each-and-every bit of wire, the reverse switch, and especially the wires from the battery terminals . And they were all FINE.... except they weren't.... It still wouldn't run!

So I did exactly what most of you probably would at this point. (No, not throw the #@%$ thing against a wall, although it was tempting... but the other one)--- I grabbed aholt of the whole stupid lot of little worthless wires and yanked them out...

Guess it was a good thing I was planning to finagle an r/c conversion anyway?