New Tracks Down Under

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Woodduck said:
Thanks Wayne - that is what I was hoping (that there is minimal movement). My next question is what is the longest straight (or flex) section you have. As you may be aware, Pamak sell 3.6m lengths (which is what I have). Do I need to (or should) I cut these down to 1.8m
(I am talking Brass)

<snip>

(I apologise to Peter Russell - as it may seem I am off topic - however, these are also "Tracks Down under". If it is felt I should start another thread, that's okay)

No problem. It's good to see the discussion. With respect to the rail. I am using the Pamak 3.6m lengths in full wherever possible and only cut down where necessary to install points or connect. Saves on rail joiners.

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Woodduck said:

Peter - great layout. Fantastic that the kids can play - and learn as it is developed.

Mine is "under construction" - power lines are down, irrigation pipe are nearly complete and trenching for sand base is in progress.
I found an alternative for ballast that you might like to investigate. I found it on one of the USA forums (sorry, I can't remember which). The product is called Stablizer (http://www.stabilizersolutions.com/ < Link To http://www.stabilizersolutions.com ) and they used it (among other things) to secure the red gravel at Parliament House (a heck of a lot of it). The folk in US appeared to love it.
There is a distributor in Melb - (http://www.evergreen.com.au/ < Link To www.evergreen.com.au). There is no reference to the product on this web site, but ask for Rob and he will give you the low down.
The beauty of this product is that it can be re-used. It can't wash away, it does form a bond/crust, but if it is broken (where concrete may crack), it fixes itself next time it rains.
The properties appear to be amazing. The Distributor is sending me a 1KG bag to try out (and I plan to also use it on my driveway - a bonus).

Good luck with your new railway. I will enjoy watching it grow.
Regards

Thanks for the kind comment. Its generated great interest among the local children. As my daughter-in-law runs a child care business from the property we had to fence the site. You may have noticed the fence in some of the photos. This became an unexpected but necessary expense.

Yes it certainly takes a long time to prep the site. It was months of work regularly each week end and some week days (I am retired) and that with help from my wife and son! I will follow up on your suggestions with interest. I am quite amazed with all the friendly suggestions and comments on this thread. Thank you everyone.

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
C&S said:
This is looking soooo good. What a great start. I really look forward to seeing this one progress.

Is the track plan your own, or developed from a published one? I only ask because parts of it remind me of one of the classic 1960s era HO scale plans published in Model Railroader and repeated in Bruce Chubb's book on layout operation.

I didn't consciously use a set track plan. I haven't any books of plans or looked at any I can remember but I think I saw a similar plan long ago in a magazine and I thought in a limited space how can I get a long single track run. The answer was to fold it back on itself which also gave me a tunnel and a bridge opportunity. I used a track planning program to lay it out using set track. I then calculated how much rail I would need and ordered the long lengths of brass from Pamak in Australia. I also used a mixture of Australian made sleepers and LGB.

829cef0e1e904f3f952d3cc3db30d4ad.jpg

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Budd said:
G'day Peter,

Always good to see another railway, are us South Aussies are going to over run this site? Which side of town are you on? The Penfield Model Engineers at Salisbury have a very active Gauge 1 Railway Group and we are always looking for new members (Moonraker is a member as well), you are most welcome to pay us a visit.
<snip>
Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I live in an Apartment in Adelaide, but my son's house is northern suburbs close to Salisbury so a visit is in the cards at some time. I'll get in touch later.

Cheers.