New to large scale in Cornwall

Andy Cox

Registered
16 Sep 2019
Cornwall
Best answers
As per title really. I'm new to the large scale model railway scene but have decided to build an outdoor 45 mm layout to run 16 mm narrow gauge light industrial type stock. I also like the North American G scale type stock and anticipate running that as well.

I have the intended basic layout sketched out and have been collecting track for some time and feel it's time to start building. I'm very much looking forward to this and am sure I'll be asking plenty of questions, some probably silly, on here.
Cheers
Andy

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Andy, welcome to the forum, friendly bunch really, however be aware of the humour ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy.

I assume you are using 16mm running on 45mm gauge track, as opposed to 32mm?

Plenty of modellers here running US stock too....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Join the G Scale Society, the Devon and Cornwall area group are quite active.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
however be aware of the humour ;)

I think that should read:
..however beware of the humour.. :giggle:

Welcome Andy!

Get some track down, before the really bad weather.. - Though, other than 'wet' you probably have a longer season, than the rest of the country?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andy. From another with a foot in both the 16 mm scale and US outline 45 mm gauge camp. That was a mouthfull :) Max

20170919_122448.jpg

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I almost thought we had a close-by new neighbour...but then realized you are not in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada...too bad...but still...you are most welcome here, even if you might be a slight bit "Corny"....!!!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Andy!

Jon.

Lancer

Registered
9 Jul 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andy. I'm a newbie myself with much the same interests. Just started building my line.

Larry

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I almost thought we had a close-by new neighbour...but then realized you are not in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada...too bad...but still...you are most welcome here, even if you might be a slight bit "Corny"....!!!
There is a Cornwall in England, Fred (well just) :devil: :devil: although it can be difficult to find - it's an island, the other side of the Tamar :p:p

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. As well as the G Gauge Society, you may want to have a look at the 16mm Association, both have a good following. Any pictures of your progress will be welcomed

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There is a Cornwall in England, Fred (well just) :devil: :devil: although it can be difficult to find - it's an island, the other side of the Tamar :p:p
Careful Rhinochugger, Cornwall in England? Depends on where you live!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, I have a Cornish Surname and most of my ancestors are from Cornwall, there again, I'm not from Australia but I'm big down under.

thWQ1GCLP7.jpg

David

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Andy, though my line is mostly based on East German Narrow Gauge on occasion some US stuff gets a look in to the action.
1D0F62B6-660A-414B-92F6-659359DFAF68.jpeg

Andy Cox

Registered
16 Sep 2019
Cornwall
Best answers
Thank you very much for all your welcoming replies.
I'm hoping to get started in the next couple of weeks with the ground work required to start sorting out levels etc. Due to the nature of the area I have available to me, well, more accurately, it's been allocated to me by SWMBO, my proposed layout will be sighted on top of a retaining wall, be set on an elevated track base and at ground level so it's going to test my limited knowledge to the limit and I'm afraid you'll be getting plenty of very basic questions from me.
The forum looks like a fantastic resource and I'm really looking forward to learning as much as I can from here.
Andy

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andy.. good to see another US outline fan... there are not too many of us on the forum!

cz night trough beaver creek station area 2.jpg

streetcar night  on its way.jpg

live steam shay with cars 2.jpg

Last edited:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The strange thing about garden railways is the way most people run a right old mixture of whatever they want. On my indoor N gauge layouts every train is strictly correct for the era and location modelled. Out in the garden however its a different story.....DSC02939.JPGDSC02929.JPGDSC02927.JPGFBQI3461.JPG

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andy. I am a relative newcomer to the forum and can say that you will be well looked-after by the folk who are regulars. Without meaning anything other than praise, I can say that they like their layouts, are a right mixture who share a passion for this wonderful hobby. Just ask away.
Trevor