New Swift Sixteen Well Wagon.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Paul
I agree entirely with your assessment. All the components are crisp and 'true' requiring no fettling.
The first side I fixed with Gorilla Glue, it worked fine but because it foams as it goes off it leaves a messy residue which has to be cleaned off. For the other side I used superglue as recommended by Rob.
Fitting the wheels to the axle was far easier than I had anticipated, the slight chamfer on the end enables the axle to fit positively into the insulated wheel centre.
Hope to finish it tomorrow if the weather is conducive to spray painting.
It looks as if I shall be ordering at least one of the bogie wagons to match. :clap:
I almost forgot - just one query, the tops of the bogies differ, one has a raised strip across it whilst the other has a dome. Is there any significance in this?

EDIT: I have just looked at Rob's site and he answers my query, if only I had looked first -"For the greatest flexibility over the most undulating track, you will see one bogie has a flat bar to control, 'roll', the other has a ball top to maintain adhesion to the rails."

RobB

All models, boats, heli's, planes, cars, trains et
13 Dec 2009
South Wales UK
Best answers
Hello,

I'm glad you seem to like the wagons so far :)
As I said at the top of this thread, my website is being updated and I can't add anything just yet.

Don't worry, there will be instructions on the site, just as soon as I can start listing items again (some time in the next week or so)

NOTE
When fixing the lose planks over the screws, you will see that there is an 'A' and a 'B'. One plank is a fraction wider than the other. It's only a fraction, but it is a better fit if you fix them in the right place. You will see the 'A' and 'B' on the wagon, but letters are on the END of the planks. Make sure you follow the instructions for the bogies when tightening the screws. You are looking for no side to side movement on the 'bar top', only rocking for and aft. The 'ball top' bogie just wants to be free, not sloppy. Don't go mad with the glue when fixing the planks, you DON'T want to glue up the screw head :wits:

All the best,
Rob.
:clap:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
RobB said:
Hello,

I'm glad you seem to like the wagons so far :)
As I said at the top of this thread, my website is being updated and I can't add anything just yet.

Don't worry, there will be instructions on the site, just as soon as I can start listing items again (some time in the next week or so)

NOTE
When fixing the lose planks over the screws, you will see that there is an 'A' and a 'B'. One plank is a fraction wider than the other. It's only a fraction, but it is a better fit if you fix them in the right place. You will see the 'A' and 'B' on the wagon, but letters are on the END of the planks.

All the best,
Rob.
:clap:
Spotted that! Yes they are a good fit. I haven't glued them down, they don't need it, on the basis that I might want to adjust the pivot screw in the future. Now I need to set the height for the chopper couplings, shoud I make it the standard Accucraft height or have one coupling at the correct height for caledonia? Decisions, decisions....

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Keith, why not lower Cale's couplings?
Looks good still ;)
368e3988.jpg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Keith, why not lower Cale's couplings?
Looks good still ;)
368e3988.jpg
I have to admit that is the most obvious solution. It's just that I had altered a couple of items of IoM stock purely to retain the scale coupling height on Caledonia but it does limit the order in which I can roster the stock. Perhaps that can be my job for this evening. :D

I had one silly moment whilst building the well wagon when I superglued the jaws of my pliers together!:mad:
It makes a change from my fingers.

RobB

All models, boats, heli's, planes, cars, trains et
13 Dec 2009
South Wales UK
Best answers
Hi,

It has been pointed out to me that running through 45mm R1 points may be a problem with the well wagon.

If it turns out they will not run through R1 and you are not happy with the wagon anymore, I will refund in full, the invoice plus the return postage.

Maybe others could test theres on R1 for me so I can find out what may be the problem.

Thanks,

Rob.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
RobB said:
Hi,

It has been pointed out to me that running through 45mm R1 points may be a problem with the well wagon.

If it turns out they will not run through R1 and you are not happy with the wagon anymore, I will refund in full, the invoice plus the return postage.

Maybe others could test theres on R1 for me so I can find out what may be the problem.

Thanks,

Rob.
That's a very generous offer Rob.

In my experience the most likely cause is likely to be those IP wheels. The lack of a proper profile is highlighted by R1 pointwork. I have no problem with Accucraft etc., but all of my IP wheels live in the scrapyard.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting looking wagon but I'm not sure what load would need such a short well as it is too small for any plant that I can think of!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice, and I'm very tempted (especially as I've just won a Pola Lanz Raupenschlepper (caterpillar tractor) kit via German eBay, which would make a great load for it!). Price is mentioned in the first post as £30, but what is UK p&p please?

Just another thought - how easy would it be to use the deck and side mouldings only, and fit some alternative ready-made commercial bogies (LGB or others)? Not that there is anything wrong with the kit bogies, they look great, I was just wondering about the possibilities.....?

Jon.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
I'll have a play tomorrow evening and see if it's the back to back that's critical. Did they say where they derailed, on the blades or frog?

Hi Paul I PMd you on Saturday. ;)
Mine has a problem with both but mainly the frog. I have IP wheels on a couple of their wagons which run through OK but those wheels are smaller. I would be interested to see how you get on with it.
The well wagon copes fine with my Piko R5 points. Fortunately, I can run the wagon into a siding served by an R5 so I shall be keeping it, it is a very nice model.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
51ae41fb17744f6c8d4e080ccc9d9480.jpg

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Hi Paul I PMd you on Saturday. ;)
You did? nothing in my inbox :thinking:

Nice job of the wagon, mine will look a bit different as I'm also thinking of new bufferbeams rather than just extending them. Still the kit provides a nice strong base and detail on those nice side girders.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
An interesting looking wagon but I'm not sure what load would need such a short well as it is too small for any plant that I can think of!

What IS the length of the well deck section? If the whole wagon is 330mm long as quoted (excluding or including couplings?), I'd guess the load well is about 120-130mm, is that anything close?

Jon.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Plenty of loads carried on standard gauge wagons that only needed short wells, it can be for centre of gravity or height that you need the well. Large wheels or even ships propellors with a frame resting on the ends too. A field gun with it's carriage resting on the end and wheels in the well.
Another option could be a crane like the old Hornby Triang 4 wheel crane. Or something like a small bulldozer so it can be off loaded without a ramp, just a few sleepers piled by the side.
a 1:24 example but unfortunately rather an expensive one!
c29b9bafe6b042d7939a4a81f4457a3f.jpg

e5439047fba2496d86935267cfce52c6.jpg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
funandtrains said:

What IS the length of the well deck section? If the whole wagon is 330mm long as quoted (excluding or including couplings?), I'd guess the load well is about 120-130mm, is that anything close?

Jon.

The well is 120mm long and 83mm wide, the total length excluding the couplers is 333mm.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
The well would scale out fine for 1:24 or 1:29 but for 16mm scale it really would need to be at least 180mm long. Why not make it the same length as an IOM pairs coach?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok prob solved, I measured the average back to backs of my wagons as 39.8mm but with the brass tubes as supplied in the kit the insulating bushes force the wheels out to 42-43mm so they ride up easily on the tight R1's.
I chopped off a couple of mm so they are 37mm long and pushed the wheels into 40mm back to back and they run through as well as the Accucraft ones albeit with a bump due to the shallow flange in the lgb deep frog.
Will post pics tomorrow to show it.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Plenty of loads carried on standard gauge wagons that only needed short wells, it can be for centre of gravity or height that you need the well. Large wheels or even ships propellors with a frame resting on the ends too. A field gun with it's carriage resting on the end and wheels in the well.
Another option could be a crane like the old Hornby Triang 4 wheel crane. Or something like a small bulldozer so it can be off loaded without a ramp, just a few sleepers piled by the side.
a 1:24 example but unfortunately rather an expensive one!
images

images

What make is the little grey tractor, Paul?

Jon.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Ok prob solved, I measured the average back to backs of my wagons as 39.8mm but with the brass tubes as supplied in the kit the insulating bushes force the wheels out to 42-43mm so they ride up easily on the tight R1's.
I chopped off a couple of mm so they are 37mm long and pushed the wheels into 40mm back to back and they run through as well as the Accucraft ones albeit with a bump due to the shallow flange in the lgb deep frog.
Will post pics tomorrow to show it.
I shall try the same tomorrow, I have managed the difficult bit - prising the axles out of their beds of Gorilla Glue. Can't be a****d to get the tools from the workshop tonight. to complete the job.