New Regner Live Steam Heisler

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In the interests of the maintenance of domestic harmony I've pulled all my posts relating to this model.

I'm sure it will sell to those who want it.
Tac not sure why you did that, they may be your opinions, and differ from other's opinions, however they could also be useful to somebody considering this train and wanting a fully rounded discussion. From the POV left it could seem like a good buy (and it might be) but there is no opposition!!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tac not sure why you did that, they may be your opinions, and differ from other's opinions, however they could also be useful to somebody considering this train and wanting a fully rounded discussion. From the POV left it could seem like a good buy (and it might be) but there is no opposition!!
Opposition to a Steam Loco can be quite subjective, many early Roundhose offerings were not of any specific Prototype, in fact few of the Larger Suppiers offerings were. So one mans meat was another ones Poison as it were. I personally found that Merlin Products had a good design and ran pretty well, but there were many doubters mostly by those that did not have them. This is where discussion becomes somewhat blurred. It is one thing to be of the subjective opinion that a Loco is not worth buying because of Price or that it does not look like anything real, however real criticism from a buyer of running qualities would be very valid. However with a Kit Built Loco the quality could very much be related to the Care and Knowledge used in Constructing said Kit. that price difference between the Regner and the one that Tac mentioned could be the difference between owning and not owning a perfectly acceptable Logging Locomotive.

As with you Jimmy I feel it a bit of a shame the Tac has chosen to remove his posts.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Opposition to a Steam Loco can be quite subjective, many early Roundhose offerings were not of any specific Prototype, in fact few of the Larger Suppiers offerings were. So one mans meat was another ones Poison as it were. I personally found that Merlin Products had a good design and ran pretty well, but there were many doubters mostly by those that did not have them. This is where discussion becomes somewhat blurred. It is one thing to be of the subjective opinion that a Loco is not worth buying because of Price or that it does not look like anything real, however real criticism from a buyer of running qualities would be very valid. However with a Kit Built Loco the quality could very much be related to the Care and Knowledge used in Constructing said Kit. that price difference between the Regner and the one that Tac mentioned could be the difference between owning and not owning a perfectly acceptable Logging Locomotive.

As with you Jimmy I feel it a bit of a shame the Tac has chosen to remove his posts.
Hear, hear. Rule 8 and all that. Tac's criticism was quite valid, but as I said in post #11, what people want and what they can afford can be quite different things

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear me ! That one does not tick any of the usual boxes at all. Weirdly proportioned, badly detailed, lack of apparent prototype origin and somewhat toylike. And I loves my geared locos. I'll be looking out for a used Accy then. Sorry. Max
This is a model of the first Heisler ever built. And it is 1:20.3, and Jason is on vacation thru 11/11, so you might want to wait and see what he has to contribute.

F_A_Addington-willie-12.jpg

From Jason's announcement:
"This model is the very first Heisler locomotive built and its start was by sheer luck. Mr. Addington, of Little Washington, North Carolina sent an order request for a small 10 ton locomotive that can handle rough mountain tramway service and a 1 in 10 grade and 95' radius. This request was sent to by accident Dunkirk Engineering instead of Brooks Locomotives in Dunkirk NY. Both companies happened to be owned by Mr. Edward Nichols, the President of the Brooks Locomotive Works.

As Dunkirk Engineering specialized in hydraulic and special machinery they were not looking to enter into locomotive production. But the request had passed by the desk of the mechanical superintendent. He was a young man, Mr. Charles L. Heisler, who had recently completed his engineering training at Cornell University, where he had won distinction by his original investigation, and who had made a special study of the locomotive.

The engine specs were so small that Mr. Heisler was very tempted to recommend that they accept this order as he saw it as a way to present a entirely new locomotive design to the field. As no other company had responded to the request of Mr. Addington they accepted the build with a provision of a 30 day extension to the initial 60 day request. He agreed and from there on Mr Heisler spent the next 30 days 12-15 hours a day designing and the study of the evolution of the motors and truck and came up with many different options. They were eliminated by the need to build easily and quickly and must be built in 60 days.

The first model was built and delivered in 70 days from initial acceptance to Mr Addington and had proved to be a very capable and reliable locomotive. It started to be more well known in the lumbering industry where requests for more were coming in. The future of the design was being set when unfortunately Mr. Nichols President/owner of Brooks Locomotives suddenly passed away. All seemed to be going away but then the heirs of the late president graciously handed over all their interests in the patent to the inventor. With this in 1893 Mr. Heisler spoke to George Burnham, president of Baldwin Locomotives. He was so intrigued by the design he spoke it over with his technicians and decided that while they can not build it in their main shops he had an independent shop in Erie PA that can be used for production for the time being but this was the official start of what was later known as Heisler Locomotive Works in Erie, Pennsylvania"

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I am rather worried about the rather spindly Bevel Gears to the Axles. Time I guess would tell about these.
Regner already made the Climax with similar gears, and I've heard no word of problems.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
This is a model of the first Heisler ever built. And it is 1:20.3, and Jason is on vacation thru 11/11, so you might want to wait and see what he has to contribute.

F_A_Addington-willie-12.jpg

From Jason's announcement:
"This model is the very first Heisler locomotive built and its start was by sheer luck. Mr. Addington, of Little Washington, North Carolina sent an order request for a small 10 ton locomotive that can handle rough mountain tramway service and a 1 in 10 grade and 95' radius. This request was sent to by accident Dunkirk Engineering instead of Brooks Locomotives in Dunkirk NY. Both companies happened to be owned by Mr. Edward Nichols, the President of the Brooks Locomotive Works.

As Dunkirk Engineering specialized in hydraulic and special machinery they were not looking to enter into locomotive production. But the request had passed by the desk of the mechanical superintendent. He was a young man, Mr. Charles L. Heisler, who had recently completed his engineering training at Cornell University, where he had won distinction by his original investigation, and who had made a special study of the locomotive.

The engine specs were so small that Mr. Heisler was very tempted to recommend that they accept this order as he saw it as a way to present a entirely new locomotive design to the field. As no other company had responded to the request of Mr. Addington they accepted the build with a provision of a 30 day extension to the initial 60 day request. He agreed and from there on Mr Heisler spent the next 30 days 12-15 hours a day designing and the study of the evolution of the motors and truck and came up with many different options. They were eliminated by the need to build easily and quickly and must be built in 60 days.

The first model was built and delivered in 70 days from initial acceptance to Mr Addington and had proved to be a very capable and reliable locomotive. It started to be more well known in the lumbering industry where requests for more were coming in. The future of the design was being set when unfortunately Mr. Nichols President/owner of Brooks Locomotives suddenly passed away. All seemed to be going away but then the heirs of the late president graciously handed over all their interests in the patent to the inventor. With this in 1893 Mr. Heisler spoke to George Burnham, president of Baldwin Locomotives. He was so intrigued by the design he spoke it over with his technicians and decided that while they can not build it in their main shops he had an independent shop in Erie PA that can be used for production for the time being but this was the official start of what was later known as Heisler Locomotive Works in Erie, Pennsylvania"

I live and learn, please excuse my total ignorance. Thanks for the information. Still doesn't float my boat, like the Ffestiniog's George England locos and a few others I can mention. Might have been useful if that information had been included in the OP's post.

My initial impressions, barring the bit about no apparent prototype, still stand. Probably why I've ended up with a clutch of Accucraft locos rather than the probably mechanically superior Roundhouses. I like something that looks more like a scale model, at least in my mind. Max

P.S. Probably not a good idea to book a holiday if you are launching an important new product, so you can manage the launch and coordinate the information that is distributed.

Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Might have been useful if that information had been included in the OP's post.
The TTD announcement clearly states the loco is a "joint project", and when I emailed Graham in the UK he had not been told of the announcement. Maybe only sold in the USA?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I live and learn, please excuse my total ignorance. Thanks for the information. Still doesn't float my boat, like the Ffestiniog's George England locos and a few others I can mention. Might have been useful if that information had been included in the OP's post.

My initial impressions, barring the bit about no apparent prototype, still stand. Probably why I've ended up with a clutch of Accucraft locos rather than the probably mechanically superior Roundhouses. I like something that looks more like a scale model, at least in my mind. Max

P.S. Probably not a good idea to book a holiday if you are launching an important new product, so you can manage the launch and coordinate the information that is distributed.

Max wrote it, and I agree 100% with the entire contents of his post.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The TTD announcement clearly states the loco is a "joint project", and when I emailed Graham in the UK he had not been told of the announcement. Maybe only sold in the USA?

Who is Graham, please?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Might have been useful if that information had been included in the OP's post.

I simply gave a heads up with a brief description as was in the email I received from The Choo Choo Department with image and links to the source.
I left price and any personal opinions out so to be unscathed and fair, after all I have no commercial interest in the product. The following posts were a natural discussion with some valid points.
The video of the product running and detailed description were very beneficial to the thread of which I had no knowledge of when I started the post.
That is the whole purpose of a threaded discussion. For others to join in, discuss and add relevant information.
Perhaps I should not have started the heads up post and said nuffin and left mushrooms be mushrooms ungrateful of light. :)

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I left price and any personal opinions out so to be unscathed and fair, after all I have no commercial interest in the product. The following posts were a natural discussion with some valid points.
I'm not sure about the "natural discussion". From the tone of some posts, you'd think folk were being forced to buy one! Aren't we supposed to be encouraging manufacturers, not heaping criticism on their [as yet unseen] products?

And, as quoted, I have no commercial interest either. I added what I had discovered by googling "addington heisler" and from the email I received from the seller.

kovacjr

Registered
7 Dec 2012
Best answers
Jeez I am shocked at the comments here. From complaints of the prototype to complaining that I personally took my family on vacation. Its a hobby people life goes on every day. You dont like it, dont buy it.

But from the history of Regner and their service its an excellent choice to buy and not worry if you need spares 5 years from now.

Gearing, they are no different than small shay gearing or the same gearing Mike Chaney used on his Heisler.

No one is forcing anyone to buy something.

As I am reminded all the time, you cant please everyone.

As to the announcement date, they was scheduled by Regner due to the German engineer show last weekend.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jason. I only intended to do good for all here. Grumpy old men and all that need to blow off some steam sometimes. :giggle:
I think perhaps we have all been spoiled by the high fidelity to detail offerings over the years which come and go but often with no long term backup.
Can you please comfirm the Regner Heisler's scale from prototype and also how distribution works for those not in the USA. Is it available via Regner dealers OS from you?

Thank you for instigating another great choice in the hobby and a quality one at that. :)

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry folks, I actually quite like it! Unfortunately whether I will actually be able to stretch my budget far enough to buy one is doubtful though:cry::cry::cry:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mr. gardenrailways.co.uk.
(And I thought you said you'd deleted all your posts?)

I've stopped commenting on the Regner product after getting hauled over the coals for expressing my own opinion, and now you are suggesting that I should either not read posts, or refrain from asking clarification about a person I don't know?

Are you some kind of undercover Mod?

Gimme a break, mister.

kovacjr

Registered
7 Dec 2012
Best answers
I obtained years ago drawings of this and another small Heisler. Its 1/20.3 scale and is a fairly close model. As its a small model some things are not scale size but it offers the same standard Regner always does, a good length of runtime and full space for RC.

The only comparable model for this is the Mike Chaney 14t Heisler. Those are a rare model only 25 made and highly sought after.

Tac, I've not seen you comments so am unclear why people think you shouldn't post. Which in itself if an odd demand. Post away!

The debate of now Regner vs Accucraft is absurd. Previously many compared Aster to Accucraft. Haha Just as an FYI the WSL Heisler Accucraft built isnt scale either! A good number of dimensions wrong if you measure key elements. Floor, domes, roof, cab boiler. Everything built is what you want it to be.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've stopped commenting on the Regner product after getting hauled over the coals for expressing my own opinion, and now you are suggesting that I should either not read posts, or refrain from asking clarification about a person I don't know?

Tac I wasn't trying to haul you over coals mate. Just trying to offer a balanced view.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion about any product, as is anyone else. If someone disagrees, it doesn't mean they think your view is any less valid.

Indeed your posts made some very good and valid observations re: the comparisons between the Regner and Accucraft products.

My view of the Regner product isn't that far removed from yours as it happens. To me it's a little too toy-like for the price tag. Others may love it, that's fine.

The beauty of this forum is that we can agree to disagree, continue to get along and just crack on.

For what it's worth mate please keep your posts in place, and by all means continue to comment.