New Playmobil Acquisition

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Since I started my layout a couple of months back none of the Grand-kids have visited (the layout and non visiting Grand-kids are are not related), mainly because they all live some distance away (shame we can't baby sit more often - not). Anyway they are due early next month and thought I better find something for them to play with, hoped on to evilbay and bought this:

View media item 3254
Arrived today, as most of you will know RC, out of the box and away she! (or is it he) goes

View media item 3253
Though a few years old circa 2004 runs well and I am pleased, though any comments, hints or tips would be welcome, been to the Playmobile site and bough a new carriage £30:00 which I thought was reasonable considering the evilbay prices.

Just looking for a suitable driver, thought!! :):)

Reactions: 3 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A tip, make sure that you remove the battery pack completely when the loco is not running. Otherwise, the battery continue to feed the receiver and goes flat. Pull the battery pack out until the light on the loco go out.

A second tip, don't carry the loco about with the battery not fully in - it really hurts when it lands on your foot!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Surely they will have some PM or Lego Figures that will work, grand kids that is? Ask them to bring one each then run a competition to see which one is best fit!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Just looking for a suitable driver, thought!! :):)

Funny that, I've got an unemployed ex-policeman of the PLaymobil variety who desperately wishes to re-locate to Weston-Super-Mare. If you're happy to have him as a lodger Jimmy, I'll pop him in the post on Monday. FOC.
Mike.P1070364.JPG

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
One trainee driver, ecstatic at the prospect of leaving the edge of nowhere for the excitement of the Atlantic coast, found himself an envelope and just managed to catch the afternoon mail (train, if only!) He looks forward to seeing you soon Jim.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Funny that, I've got an unemployed ex-policeman of the PLaymobil variety who desperately wishes to re-locate to Weston-Super-Mare. If you're happy to have him as a lodger Jimmy, I'll pop him in the post on Monday. FOC.
Mike.View attachment 241240

That's not Playmobil!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure it will even fit, too small

When I get back home I'll see what I have that will do if this doesn't do the job.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
That's not Playmobil!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure it will even fit, too small
Well, whatever he is he's gone as a trainee. Probably only a youngster. Anyway he obviously didn't like it here and couldn't wait to get away. I expect he lied about his age and height as well as his ancestry just to get the job. He was off like a shot - didn't even pack a bag.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Some battery advice please:

For this loco, I have used four "ultra" (non-chargeable batteries) lasted an hour(ish) of non continuous running, so rechargeable batteries (two sets) seems the way forward; my initial thoughts was Lith/Ion however they seem to be 3.5 volts (or there about), which I would have thought would cause damage, and so not suitable. So it would seem NiMH 2300/2500 mAh would seem the obvious answer to provide the best output and longevity in use.
However I may have this entirely wrong, so any direction would be appreciated, even makes of batteries that have proved reliable - many thanks.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

For this loco, I have used four "ultra" (non-chargeable batteries) lasted an hour(ish) of non continuous running, so rechargeable batteries (two sets) seems the way forward; my initial thoughts was Lith/Ion however they seem to be 3.5 volts (or there about), which I would have thought would cause damage, and so not suitable. So it would seem NiMH 2300/2500 mAh would seem the obvious answer to provide the best output and longevity in use.
However I may have this entirely wrong, so any direction would be appreciated, even makes of batteries that have proved reliable - many thanks.

I'd say NiMH 2300/2500, they work for me with Playmobil.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

I would rip the guts out of it and use a complete RC system for new. Perhaps Fosworks or Deltang.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
While you can get Lion batteries in the same physical-size package as a AA unit, they are indeed 3.7 Volts per cell, so NOT a direct replacement.. Four of those would kill your Playmobil loco!
Stick with a couple of sets of 2300/2500mAH NiMH cells.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for all the battery advice 2300/2500 NiMH it is.
Jon, interesting thought, but as yet not quite up to replacement of the RC system.
An intelligent charger helps - it means that you don't overcook the batteries when charging

Axtronics are favourite at the moment for NiMH and reasonably priced >:)>:)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Axtronics are favourite at the moment for NiMH and reasonably priced :):)

Jimmy,
2.4-14.4 volt (2-12 cell) model, with 2.1mm charge-plug.
£22.00 all-in..

PM me if interested..
PhilP.